SmileSunShine

An interesting (possible interview) quesiton

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi,

Has any K1 petitioner ever thought about this? At the interview, when the visa officer asks your fiancee why you didn't get married in your fiancee's country and instead you chose the K1 fiancee process, how would she answer it? Of course, the K1 process normally takes shorter time, but I don't think this is a good answer. What would you come up with to answer this question?

We didn't want to.

Not sure how often this brought up at the consulate, but it probably isn't a big deal. I'm sure many cultures or customs are different, but for our situation, we seriously considered getting married in my fiancee's home country before we sent our petition. In hindsight, we sort of wish we had - just to miss the nonsense of AOS - however, my fiancee wanted to marry in the US and avoid having a big ceremony where she lives - religious and cultural, which she isn't big on and I'm obviously not part of anyway

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

That was a question at the interview. The answer was that there was no easy way for everyone to be at the wedding at doing it online ( Vegas with broadcast) was the best solution to have as many people there as possible. Also the USC was the female and weddings are a womans event ( men are less attached to the event )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Honestly, I have not heard of someone asking this question, at least at GUZ, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be asked. A simple answer is best, simple and honest. The "unfrosted" side of me thinks that this type of question would be used to try and trip-up your fiancee if they question bonafide relationship. Don't sweat it too much, just tell her to answer simple and straight forward. :thumbs:

Nov 6, 2009: "I had breakfast in Korea, lunch in Shanghai, and dinner in Chongqing...now I just need to find a squat toilet..."

K1 completion: 03-10-2010, PINK!!!(well..it's orangish)
POE: Chicago/ORD 05-21-2010
Married: 05-26-2010
AOS completion: 10-28-2010
ROC completion: 05-16-2013

Naturalized: 11-21-2014

Timeline

Honestly, I have not heard of someone asking this question, at least at GUZ, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be asked. A simple answer is best, simple and honest. The "unfrosted" side of me thinks that this type of question would be used to try and trip-up your fiancee if they question bonafide relationship. Don't sweat it too much, just tell her to answer simple and straight forward. :thumbs:

Yeah, you are right. I agree. But they always find some tricky question to trip you up even actually there is nothing dishonest but you may not have the "best" answer they want to hear. We always want to answer honestly, but you need to do it in a "strategic" way to avoid generating confusion or even suspicion. For my case, I would just say there was no special reason for that. There were two options and we chose the K1 process. I don't know if that will satisfy.

Timeline

Hi,

Has any K1 petitioner ever thought about this? At the interview, when the visa officer asks your fiancee why you didn't get married in your fiancee's country and instead you chose the K1 fiancee process, how would she answer it? Of course, the K1 process normally takes shorter time, but I don't think this is a good answer. What would you come up with to answer this question?

Our simple answer is that we did not want to be apart once we were married. :wow:

November 2, 2010 - Sent form I-129F to the Dallas Lockbox.

November 12, 2010 - Received NOA1 from VSC.

November 23, 2010 - touched

May 12, 2011 - NOA2

May 19, 2011 - NVC received

June 1, 2011 - NVC file scanned and uploaded to Guangzhou

June 13, 2011 - P3 sent from GUZ

June 23, 2011 - P3 forms sent to GUZ (Did not receive the packet from GUZ yet)

June 28, 2011 - P3 received by GUZ

July 4, 2011 - P4 documents received

July 23,2011 - Medical

July 26,2011 - Document turn in

July 27,2011 - Interview - Approved !!

August 2, 2011 - Visa Issued

August 6, 2011 - Visa in Hand!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hi,

Give the truthful reason why you made the choice you made. For China, this is not usually a question or issue because of the hoops a US Citizen jump through to marry in China. Unless you prepare in advance to do so, it's really not practical.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Easy. Interfaith marriages are NOT PERFORMED in his country, which is completely crazy to me as a USC.

09/02/10 Mailed I-129F

09/07/10 NOA1

03/17/11 NOA2 approved

06/06/11 Interview. Visa approved. Told we'll get visa in 7-10 days. Lies.

07/12/11 Visa in hand

07/15/11 Arrival in the U.S.

07/21/11 Marriage

07/28/11 Mailed I-485

08/03/11 NOA for I-485

08/29/11 Biometrics

10/17/11 Greencard interview. Approved.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

If I were asked this question, my answer would be: because both of our families are in the US,,,,,so why have a wedding in my country when all of our immediate families and relatives live in the US.

I hope that would be an acceptable answer to him/her. :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi,

Honestly something along those lines is what I would say and that you wanted to be together as quickly as possible. Either way, chances are one set of family members would not be able not be able to attend the ceremony most likely so, wedding planning may or may not be a contributing factor in your case. Just give the honest answer why you chose this route. When you and your fiance engaged what discussions did you have around this topic before choosing the K-1. That's your answer

event.png

Tuana and Kemal's Visa Journey

2010.07.10 We met

2010.10.28 First visit to meet in person

2010.10.31 We became engaged

2011.01.12 Second Visit with my Husband

2011.04.18 Third Visit with my Husband

2011.08.19 Married in Gaziantep Turkey, 4th Visit

2011.10.21 Visited with my Husband, 5th Visit

2011.11.22 SENT IN I-130 Application

2011.12.01 NOA1 Received

2012.02.16 Visited my Husband, 6th Visit

2012.05.08 NOA2 Received

2012.05.21 NVC Received

2012.07.02 Per NVC documents approved, waiting on interview date to be scheduled

2012.08.10 Visited my husband in Turkey, 7th Visit

2012.12.04 Visa Approved

Filed: Other Country: Venezuela
Timeline

My answer would be, and it is the truth in my case; I was not aware that I had another option in Cuba, as a USC marring a Cuban in Cuba.

4/1/2011 - Mailed I129F

4/4/2011 - I129F received by USCIS (Priority date)

4/5/2001 - Post Office Return Receipt signed by USCIS

4/6/2011 - USCIS receipt date

4/7/2011 - Received e-mail/text NOA1

4/8/2011 - Touched

4/12/2011 - Receipt received via snail mail (I797C)

8/29/2011 - Received email/text NOA2

9/2/2011 - NVC received (no NVC # assigned yet)

9/2/2011 - Received hardcopy of NOA2

9/6/2011 - NVC Havana case number assigned

9/16/2011 - NVC forwarded case to Havana

9/19/2011 - NVC generated informational letter to me

9/23/2011 - Received letter from NVC via snail mail

10/6/2011 - Packet received by US Interest Section in Havana

10/18/2011 - Amel received telegram advising him when to pick up packet

12/05/2011 - Amel had blood work and x-rays done in preparation for medical examination

12/12/2011 - Amel picked up packet of forms at the USINT in Havana.

01/10/2012 - Amel had his medical exam today.

03/01/2012 - Interview: APPROVED!

03/20/2012 - Visa received.

3/23/2012 - Carta blanca, etc. requested

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My answer (to people who asked.. and there were lots of family/friends that wondered) was a combination of the fact that I have fewer family in Australia than he does in the US, and the main one is we didn't want to be apart once we were married. Just felt a lot better planning the wedding (best you can without making firm plans) and organising stuff to take over and thinking about moving over and being married rather than being married and spending so much time apart from your new spouse after such a joyous event... feels like a massive anti-climax...

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

[/qu

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My wife and I first went with the K1, because of my family here is very large. Her Mother and Father had passed away years ago. She said she would be satisfied with a nice engagement banquet for her Family and Friends. After K1 denied, we got married in her city, which is just go to the register office, and within a few minutes you are married.

What I would like to have as a reply to the K1 Interviewer, should not be printed on here........

April 2008 Met online ..................... March 2010.. 3 week visit......... 19 Nov...Sent DS230 & I-864

April 2009 Met in Chongqing .......... 09 March 2010 .. Marry.................17Dec...NVC lost 230 and 864

04 May 09 Apply K1 .................... 10 April .. Apply CR1....................20Dec..NVC found 230

18 May 09 NOA 1......................... 20 April... NOA1...........................28Dec..sent more 864 docs

16 Sep 09 NOA 2......................... 06 Oct..... NOA2...........................2011

08 Nov 09 P3................................... 21 Oct..... Have Case #..............21 Jan...SIF

06 Dec 09 P4............................... 30 OCt..... Have DS-3032...............26 Jan .. CC

29 Dec 09. Interview..................... 1 Nov..... email Ds-3032...............1 Apr, 3 week visit

29 Dec,,,,No Visa.......................... 1 Nov......paid AOS.......................4 May Interview.Approved..

9 Aug 2010 I-129F ended.............. 5 Nov......paid IV.........,,,,,,,,,,, ..... 28 June, Received Visa

............................................................................................................22 July, arrive USA..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.