need_help_now

Parents AOS while in the US

27 posts in this topic

We applied for my parents AOS one month after they entered the US on a tourist visa. They questioned them at the airport at the time of entry due to their frequent trips, so we panicked and applied for their AOS. Luckily we had all the documents, so we used a lawyer and applied. The lawyer did not advice us against it and we were not familiar with the issues concerning the time of their entry into the US and the time of application. We have received interview notice for both of them. While looking for sample interview questions, we realized that this was an issue.

Date of entry: Feb 7th

Date of application: March 7th

What recourse do we have? Should we send them back to India and reapply? We are worried about jeopardizing their existing tourist visa.

We will really appreciate feedback and comments from people who have been in similar situations.

Thanks,

Anitha

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Don't know all the ins and outs of AOS, but given that they were questioned at the poe and that they are on a tourist visa then I would say yes, they need to return home and go through the proper visa application to immigrate here. If the IO thinks they came on a tourist visa with the intent to immigrate there are some serious questions of fraud, especially if they gave the CBP officer some other indication.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Can't seem to edit my post, but here is some more information

Are you a US citizen? My understanding is they can try to AOS from an overstay if an immediate relative who is a US citizen sponsors them. If you are not yet a US citizen but your spouse is, then they don't count as an immediate relative. Not sure if the blanket forgivness of an overstay for a marriage based AOS applies in this case also, but given that they entered on a tourist visa with what seems the intention to stay, I would worry that you are risking a finding of fraud and the associated bans that go along with that. Sounds like it would be the best (and most correct) option to have them return home and then sponsor them on an immigration visa, assuming you US citizen or LPR.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Filed: Other Timeline

They questioned them at the airport at the time of entry due to their frequent trips, so we panicked and applied for their AOS. Luckily we had all the documents, . . .

Don't make me explain this right now, but this is the potential time bomb.

Tell us everything you know about this, in as much detail as possible.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Don't make me explain this right now, but this is the potential time bomb.

Tell us everything you know about this, in as much detail as possible.

No doubt. On top of this, they just happen to have all of the documents needed to adjust status.

1. Made a statement to an immigration officer that they do not intend to immigrate.

2. Evidence to the contrary in the form of documents required to adjust status, but not generally required to visit the US.

3. Proof of the contrary evidence when they filed to adjust status.

Item #1 becomes a material misrepresentation. Lifetime ban from the US.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Just a quick clarification-- They were only questioned at the POE since they had my son with them and the immigration officer was not sure why they took him with them (because I wanted my son to spend time with other relatives in India). Yes, I am a US citizen.

We wouldn't have thought of applying now if everything had gone well at POE. It really worried us that their future trips would be hard, so we wanted to apply for AOS.

They even have the original return ticket they purchased to go back to India. Can that be considered intent to return? They had their birth certificates with them, they carry important documents like bank, house documents etc with them everywhere they travel (for emergency purposes).

They have been making frequent trips since my son was born here in the US. He is their ONLY grand child and we want them to be a big part of his life.

For the life of me, I can't quite grasp this they have a home, bank account and other important documents in a pouch with them traveling to a foreign country, then a month later they say hey let's just migrate here on foreign soil and live. So, everything that they had been doing prior to taking a plane ride across the ocean is just hanging in limbo, until they decide to go back six to seven months later.

How do people whom had been living a normal life, make such a drastic decision without any pre-planning? Are they aware that a GC means they will have to live in the US, it's not a get out of trouble card for traveling? If I as a INB is questioning their motives, what do you think a USCIS skilled worker would be saying?

Please post helpful comments only. I don't really need random thoughts on my parents lifestyle--that'd be a different post for the future.

If you couln't understand the thought process of the USCIS process, then how are you going to react at an interview. I can't and won't tell you how to cheat the process, but i will give you thoughts to think about. This is for you and your family to fiqure out how you'll will arrive at the finally solution.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

I don't need help from people that DO NOT understand that we are not trying to cheat but are requesting real help. If you cannot help, please do NOT waste my time with your random comments. Appreciate the interest, but don't care for the tone!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The system is to file am I130 and wait for an interview in your home country. Coming to the US with all the required documents in hand and just by chance deciding to file to stay is a hairs breath away from immigration fraud and a life time ban. You have choosen to roll the dice and see if you come out the winner or a huge loser in the immigration game. With so much at stake I wouldn't trust my future to a group of caring but untrained people on an internet site. You need a VERY well qualified legal professional.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.