Danno

When Dictators Fall, Who Rises?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

When Dictators Fall, Who Rises?

By Patrick J. Buchanan

Tuesday - April 29, 2011

One month before the invasion of Iraq, Riah Abu el-Assal, a Palestinian and the Anglican bishop of Jerusalem at the time, warned Tony Blair, "You will be responsible for emptying Iraq, the homeland of Abraham, of Christians."

The bishop proved a prophet. "After almost 2,000 years," writes the Financial Times, "Iraqi Christians now openly contemplate extinction. Some of their prelates even counsel flight."

The secular despot Saddam Hussein protected the Christians. But the U.S. liberation brought on their greatest calamity since the time of Christ. Scores of thousands of those Iraqi Christians fleeing terrorism and persecution after 2003 made their way to Syria, where they received sanctuary from President Bashar Assad.

Now, as the FT and Washington Post report, the Christians of Syria, whose forebears have lived there since the time of Christ, are facing a pogrom should the Damascus regime fall.

Christians are 10 percent of Syria's population, successful and closely allied to the minority Alawite regime of the Assad family. Said one Beirut observer, "Their fear is that if the regime falls to the Sunni majority, they will be put up against the same wall as the Alawites."

For decades, notes the Post, the Assad regime "has protected Christian interests by enforcing its strictly secular program and by curbing the influence of the Muslim Brotherhood."

Bashar's father, Hafez al-Assad, slaughtered perhaps 20,000 followers of the brotherhood after they began a campaign of bombings and terror and attempted an uprising in Hama in 1982. Hafez al-Assad rolled up his artillery and leveled the city.

Observing the toll of dead protesters--more than 100 this past weekend, more than 200 overall, the work of police, snipers and agents of the regime--it is hard to summon up any sympathy for Bashar Assad. And if his regime were to fall, that would eliminate a patron of Hamas and Hezbollah and a close ally of Iran in the Arab world.

But before he embraces the Syrian revolution, President Barack Obama ought to consider, as President George W. Bush did not, what happens to Arab Christians when a long-repressed Muslim majority comes to power.

In Iraq, liberated Shiites used their newfound freedom to cleanse Baghdad of Sunnis while al-Qaida arrived and went straight after the Christians. In Syria, it would be a Sunni majority rising if Bashar and the Alawites were to fall.

What would that mean for Syria's Christians, for peace, for us?

Since 1973, even when clashes have occurred and wars have been fought in Lebanon between Israelis and Syria or its proxies, the Assad government has maintained the truce on the Golan Heights.

Would a Sunni-dominated Syria do the same?

With the fall of the Mubarak regime in Egypt have come Islamist attacks on Coptic Christians. How will the Copts fare if the Muslim Brotherhood wins the September election and writes Shariah into Egyptian law?

In "The Price of Revolution" a half-century ago, D.W. Brogan inventoried the costs of the revolutions that so often intoxicate secular Western man.

The French Revolution led to regicide, the September Massacres, the Terror, the slaughter of hundreds of thousands of Catholics in the Vendee region of France, and almost two decades of Napoleonic wars.

The abdication of Czar Nicholas II led to the dictatorship of Lenin, Trotsky and Stalin, who would effect the murder of 1,000 times more victims than did the Spanish Inquisition in 300 years. And among the Bolshevik murder victims were the czar, his wife and his five children.

Fifteen years after the hated Kaiser, ruler of the Second Reich, abdicated, a proud veteran of his army, Adolf Hitler, established a Third Reich.

No altar-and-throne regime ever compiled a record of horror to match those of the French and Russian revolutions--or those of Mao Zedong, Ho Chi Minh, Fidel Castro and Pol Pot.

When the Shah of Iran fell, within a year we had the Ayatollah Khomeini.

Americans have welcomed the "Arab Spring." Yet we should be forewarned that among those liberated when dictators fall is the sort of men that Edmund Burke described:

"Men are qualified for civil liberty in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their own appetites. ... Society cannot exist unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere, and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters."

Americans, who incarcerate 2.3 million of their own citizens, 90 percent of them males, are surely aware of the truth Burke spoke.

And across the Middle East, there are millions of "intemperate minds" that would use the freedom and power democracy provides to majorities to suppress or eradicate their long-hated rival minorities.

If one-man, one-vote democracy across the Maghreb and Middle East is almost certain to strengthen the Muslim Brotherhood and to liberate Islamists to persecute Christians, why are we for it?

When did this idol of modernity called democracy, in which none of our fathers believed, become a golden calf we all must fall down and worship?

SOURCE: http://buchanan.org/blog/when-dictators-fall-who-rises-4731

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Probably because dictatorships keep populations from achieving the liberal humanist enlightenment that was experienced in the west.

Same smelly old Pat.

If you are answering a question in your post, at least quote it so all might understand your point.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

The answer, except in Europe has generally been worse dictators or absolute monarchs, as is under way in Egypt.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Lords of War.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Probably because dictatorships keep populations from achieving the liberal humanist enlightenment that was experienced in the west.

humanist enlightenment?

You're joking right?

You mean the illusion of liberties at home, while stealing them away abroad in the name of 'democracy.'

Your 'humanist enlightenment' has led to not only that, but also creating criminals out of innocent people as well.

Dictatorships/Totalitarian forms of government come in all shapes and sizes. You have to step outside the box to see it though when it's right in front of you face. Too many people 'trust' their leaders even after being betrayed. Today's Democrats and Republicans are a fine example. Both parties push the same exact agenda and yet the people are too stupidly drawn into the political game to even see it. The "outside" appearance makes them seem different, but their actions have made them one in the same. It's ugly and disgusting and the sheep continue to eat it up.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

humanist enlightenment?

You're joking right?

You mean the illusion of liberties at home, while stealing them away abroad in the name of 'democracy.'

Your 'humanist enlightenment' has led to not only that, but also creating criminals out of innocent people as well.

Dictatorships/Totalitarian forms of government come in all shapes and sizes. You have to step outside the box to see it though when it's right in front of you face. Too many people 'trust' their leaders even after being betrayed. Today's Democrats and Republicans are a fine example. Both parties push the same exact agenda and yet the people are too stupidly drawn into the political game to even see it. The "outside" appearance makes them seem different, but their actions have made them one in the same. It's ugly and disgusting and the sheep continue to eat it up.

Paul, what do you supposed happened in Europe that ended monarchy and broke the power of kings?

This is what I'm talking about.

You might disagree with your government but Totalitarian Dictatorship it is not.

Edited by fishdude

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Really odd this hatred of less totalitarian regimes. People are still protestin in Tunisia and Egypt to do away with repression so they may form for themselves a more perfect union. That includes being democratic, for all willing to practice it, just as much as bigots and haters here play the same game.

Timeline

Paul, what do you supposed happened in Europe that ended monarchy and broke the power of kings?

This is what I'm talking about.

You might disagree with your government but Totalitarian Dictatorship it is not.

Do you think the American people today are as 'free' as they were let's say 40 years ago?

Take into account laws, rules, regulations, taxation, cost of living, etc.

I'm not talking on a social level for women's rights, racial rights, 'gay' rights, etc. In the grand scheme of things, those are irrelevant.

I'm talking strictly on what you can/cannot do and the power the money in your checking account has versus yesterday.

There are many ways to control a population at large. The key is keeping the illusion that you give a damn and the idea that the 'people' have the power to 'change' their government. The truth is today, they don't. It's the dirty little secret that many people know and some choose to ignore. Take a look at the people who dare to say anything about cutting any form of government and people are right there to scream "extremism" for saying such a thing. Then you'll have one party saying one thing in support of you, but voting an entirely different way.

While we might not be under lock and key here in the US, the idea that we are a 'free' nation is the biggest illusion of all.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Do you think the American people today are as 'free' as they were let's say 40 years ago?

Take into account laws, rules, regulations, taxation, cost of living, etc.

I'm not talking on a social level for women's rights, racial rights, 'gay' rights, etc. In the grand scheme of things, those are irrelevant.

I'm talking strictly on what you can/cannot do and the power the money in your checking account has versus yesterday.

There are many ways to control a population at large. The key is keeping the illusion that you give a damn and the idea that the 'people' have the power to 'change' their government. The truth is today, they don't. It's the dirty little secret that many people know and some choose to ignore. Take a look at the people who dare to say anything about cutting any form of government and people are right there to scream "extremism" for saying such a thing. Then you'll have one party saying one thing in support of you, but voting an entirely different way.

While we might not be under lock and key here in the US, the idea that we are a 'free' nation is the biggest illusion of all.

So you define freedom by throwing out the definition that most people would associate with the term. Beautiful.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Its also ironic that some libertarians that defend, tooth and nail, the idea of a self-regulating market, with business enterprise afforded the freedoms to perform as they saw fit to maximize their profitability (and pretty much only that)- while rejecting the idea that a population be afforded the same direct self-governing system. Its kind of like their argument falls apart before it can be taken seriously.

Timeline

So you define freedom by throwing out the definition that most people would associate with the term. Beautiful.

Not at all.

I'm just saying those aren't being taken into account here because everyone is on equal footing when it comes to the items mentioned in my previous post.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Timeline

Its also ironic that some libertarians that defend, tooth and nail, the idea of a self-regulating market, with business enterprise afforded the freedoms to perform as they saw fit to maximize their profitability (and pretty much only that)- while rejecting the idea that a population be afforded the same direct self-governing system. Its kind of like their argument falls apart before it can be taken seriously.

asking for a pure unregulated market is idiocy. That's why I'm amused by these sheep who still flock to that criminal Alan Greenspan for answers.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!