Saylin

How big is big?

30 posts in this topic

So, my interview's next Tuesday and was hoping my question can be answered before then.

In all the reviews I've read as well as the instructions online, big bags aren't allowed at the consulate in Montreal and people get turned away if they have them. But how big is big?

I'd like to use the bag pictured below, but not sure if it's too large or not. I put a piece of paper next to it as well as my passport for size comparison. All I would have inside is my folder, that's it, no knick-knacks or anything.

Do you think I'll be fine at the consulate? Or should I just put everything into a regular plastic grocery bag? I'd prefer to use the bag I've shown below just as it's made out of stronger material (and my folder is like 10 lbs, I'm sure) plus it has longer straps I can hang over my shoulder instead of carrying a plastic bag in my hands.

post-90397-0-20747800-1303788259_thumb.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ahhhh we are so nervous my hubbys interview is coming up on TUesday too! It comes so quickly!

2009 Sept 26: We were married in Turlock, California =D

USCIS

2010 Apr 29: Filed I-130

2010 May 12: I-130 recieved

2010 May 13: Check cashed

2010 May 12: NOA1

2010 Jun 8: Touched

2010 Jun 9: Touched ...again???

2010 Oct 26: Touched !! (after calling USCIS, and congressman 3 days earlier)

2010 Nov 1: RFE (G-325A & Photos)

2010 Nov 9: Touched

2010 Nov 10: Touched

2010 Nov 16: Touched

2010 Nov 17: Touched ... again.

2010 NOV 22: NOA2 =)

NVC

11/xx/10: NVC Assigns a Case#

11/30/10: Called NVC provided emails/ got case# & IIN #

11/30/10: hubby emailed DS3032

11/30/10: paid AOS fee

12/01/10: AOS status paid

12/06/10: hubby emailed DS3032 again..got a confirmation same day!

12/06/10: IV bill invoiced

12/07/10: DS-3032 (Choice of agent) accepted

12/10/10: mailed AOS packet!

12/15/10: pay IV bill

01/10/11: hubby mailed IV packet

02/01/11: checklist from NVC hubby has to fill out EP for montreal!

02/06/11: hubby completed and submitted EP application.

03/10/11: SIF/ case complete=)

04/12/11: Medical completed!

04/20/11: Picked up medical...passed =)

05/03/11: Interview Scheduled @ 8AM!!! =)

05/03/11: APPROVED YAY! =)

05/09/11: Visa in hand! =)

07/02/11: POE =)=)

event.png

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."

The bag I brang was about the same size as that one. I had a zip up binder and accordion folder in it.. Plus my umbrella and a book to read. As long as it doen't have any zippers or pockets, it should be fine. A person ahead of me had a backpack, they did not let him in with it, but they where fine with what I had. Best of luck at the interview, it's easy peasy!

For more information on our journey please see our 'About Me' page on our profile!

Timeline

My bag was about the same size, as long as it is open they usually will let you through no problems. I did take all my stuff out a few times and was sooooooo glad I had the bag with me lol I brought everything but the kitchen sink (and I seriously thought I might have needed more).

Good luck :)

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

That bag looks fine! I used something similar to that. Just be prepared not to have a lot of "junk" in there that they need to go through.

Oh and make sure you have nothing in your pants/jacket pockets! They'll want you to take everything out.

Good luck!!!! :)

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Thanks everyone!

There's no zipper or pockets on the bag. It's as plain as a grocery bag, just made out of strong material and has longer straps. So glad everyone says this will be fine, phew.

And I'm planning on wearing no jewelery except a watch (I'm going to want to know what time it is). And I'm going to have nothing in my pockets. So, I should speed right through security.

Thanks for all the well wishes yes.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Also make sure you don't have any musical greeting cards. I had to surrender mine temporarily when I went through security. I was able to pick them up on my way out. Reusable grocery bags are perfectly fine. Just no backpacks!

Best of luck with your interview!

June 2003 - Met online

July 2004 - Met in person (in Texas), then travelled back and forth for the next couple of years

June 7, 2010 - Fiancee sent off I-129F

June 23, 2010 - Application received by USCIS and routed to the California Service Center for processing (NOA1)

November 2, 2010 - Received NOA2

November 29, 2010 - Received Packet 3 from Montreal Consulate (P3 was dated Nov. 19)

December 6, 2010 - Sent Packet 3 (via XpressPost Canada)

December 20, 2010 - Received Packet 4 from Montreal Consulate (P4 was dated Dec. 14)

March 28, 2011 - Medical Examination in Toronto (Results ready on March 30 at noon)

April, 13, 2011 - Interview at Montreal Consulate *APPROVED*

April 20, 2011 - Received DHL waybill number & picked up Visa at DHL Markham

June 6, 2011 - POE at Toronto Pearson Airport

June 20, 2011 - Wedding

Also make sure you don't have any musical greeting cards. I had to surrender mine temporarily when I went through security. I was able to pick them up on my way out. Reusable grocery bags are perfectly fine. Just no backpacks!

Best of luck with your interview!

Yes, I had seen that about musical greeting cards. I immediately checked the cards I had and none of them were musical, just the plain ones.

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, I had seen that about musical greeting cards. I immediately checked the cards I had and none of them were musical, just the plain ones.

Thanks!

Awesome! One my cards played the Chicken Dance song and I remember one of the security guards kept opening and closing it, then humming the song. It was kinda nice to see that they have a sense of humor.

June 2003 - Met online

July 2004 - Met in person (in Texas), then travelled back and forth for the next couple of years

June 7, 2010 - Fiancee sent off I-129F

June 23, 2010 - Application received by USCIS and routed to the California Service Center for processing (NOA1)

November 2, 2010 - Received NOA2

November 29, 2010 - Received Packet 3 from Montreal Consulate (P3 was dated Nov. 19)

December 6, 2010 - Sent Packet 3 (via XpressPost Canada)

December 20, 2010 - Received Packet 4 from Montreal Consulate (P4 was dated Dec. 14)

March 28, 2011 - Medical Examination in Toronto (Results ready on March 30 at noon)

April, 13, 2011 - Interview at Montreal Consulate *APPROVED*

April 20, 2011 - Received DHL waybill number & picked up Visa at DHL Markham

June 6, 2011 - POE at Toronto Pearson Airport

June 20, 2011 - Wedding

Awesome! One my cards played the Chicken Dance song and I remember one of the security guards kept opening and closing it, then humming the song. It was kinda nice to see that they have a sense of humor.

Oh wow! laughing.gif You probably wouldn't have seen that at an airport or the border. Those security guards rarely have a sense of humour.

Drats, You have ruined my evil plan of recording all my interview answers on to the musical greeting card so that I could cheat at the test. There will be a test right?

laughing.giflaughing.gif

The bag I brang was about the same size as that one. I had a zip up binder and accordion folder in it.. Plus my umbrella and a book to read. As long as it doen't have any zippers or pockets, it should be fine. A person ahead of me had a backpack, they did not let him in with it, but they where fine with what I had. Best of luck at the interview, it's easy peasy!

Define easy peasy .. I am so nervous! I really dont know what to expect and that freaks me out.

Timeline

Define easy peasy .. I am so nervous! I really dont know what to expect and that freaks me out.

My wife's interview was yesterday..and they only asked her basic stuff like where did I live, what do I do, where did we first meet.. things like that. They didnt even look at a single photo of us.. and I had sent her abour 50 of them :P Hell..my wife asked the guy if he wanted to see any photos and he said no.

Dont worry.. I was scared about the interview (my wife wasnt lol) and she said it was easy..and very straight-forward.

02.14.2009 - Started chatting online

06.07.2009 - First meeting : Syracuse, NY

07.03.2009 - Spent 3 days together at Philadelphia

08.15.2009 - Engagement in Toronto! In front of her and my parents!

12.31.2009 - Civil Wedding in Toronto!

03.xx.2010 - Got Marriage Certificate but they mispelled my name. Reprint ordered.

05.15.2010 - Finally got correct marriage certificate

06.01.2010 - Ended 4 night trip with her in Las Vegas, NV.

06.04.2010 - Sent I-130 to USCIC

06.09.2010 - I-130 delivered to Chicago USCIS @ 1:40 PM.

06.16.2010 - Check cashed

06.18.2010 - NOA1 received in mail.

07.18.2010 - Real wedding and other events at Brampton/Mississauga!

11.05.2010 - NOA2 text received.

12.21.2010 - Sign In Failed!

03.09.2011 - Original Interview Date (Date was changed by us as T was in India at that time)

04.05.2011 - Medical

04.26.2011 - Interview : Passed! Woohoo!

04.28.2011 - Passport mailed from Montreal/Dorval. At Brampton DHL awaiting pickup 4/29.

05.08.2011 - Point Of Entry : Peace Bridge, Buffalo, NY. Took 1 hour total.

Thanks everyone!

There's no zipper or pockets on the bag. It's as plain as a grocery bag, just made out of strong material and has longer straps. So glad everyone says this will be fine, phew.

And I'm planning on wearing no jewelery except a watch (I'm going to want to know what time it is). And I'm going to have nothing in my pockets. So, I should speed right through security.

Thanks for all the well wishes yes.gif

The bag will be fine. You can wear jewelry....I wore earring, necklace and 3 rings and did not have to remove any of them It is just like airport clearance....You would have to remove a belt, and jacket. I went through this morning. I took my jacket off, and put it in the tray. My paperwork in another. Then walked through the metal detector. Put my jacket back on and went down the stairs. It's very easy. The only bags they are worried about is big backpacks. Other women had purses with them, I didn't bother with a purse. One woman told me all she had in her purse was her wallet and they just looked in it and she was on her way. I think it is best just to leave the purses at the motel or wherever you stay. Good Luck!

Sent AOS pack......2011-08-08

NOA's dated ..........2011-08-15

Biometrics..............2011-09-13

EAD card.................2011-10-26

AP card....................2011-10-26

AOS approved .......2011-12-19

Green card rec.......2011-12-27

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.