Danno

No Easter Greeting from Obama, yet he has never missed A muslim greeting.

85 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Today 70% of all refugees in the world are Muslims. In Muslim mind many of this refugees and other conflicts are a result of their powerlessness.

Muslims feel culturally enslaved, in many ways to the predominantly Christian West. The United States, with the new geopolitical reality of uni-polar world, continues to dictate policies to smaller nations of the world.

This new form of colonialism is done with the help of local lackeys in Muslim countries who take their orders about how their countries should be run from Washington, D.C. as opposed to locally.

On a larger level, British, French, American and Russian colonial powers (all Western, and all predominantly Christian) also control Muslim and other Third World countries through international institutions like the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund (IMF), and the United Nations. These three organizations have an extraordinary influence on world affairs.

This excessive power over the lives of millions is perceived by a number of Muslims as the continuing perpetuation of the colonial era. For most Muslims, colonialism is not about the spread of "refined European civilization". It is about massacre, slavery, and weakness. It is nothing to proudly look back upon.

and,

The Western obsession with Islamic "Fundamentalism" provides a third example of the tense current Muslim-Christian relationship can be.

Virtually any form of Muslim worship, but especially the daily prayer, one of the five pillars of Islam, is shown on TV while talking about fundamentalism and fanaticism. A purely Christian term from America is being applied in any Muslim, organization, or country which opposes America.

From a "Times" article;

Angry Jordan Arabs Demonstrate Against Bush as Another Crusader : Mideast: Worshipers respond 'Death to America!' as an Islamic clergyman recalls Richard the Lion-Hearted.

August 11, 1990|DANIEL WILLIAMS | TIMES STAFF WRITER

last 2 paragraphs;

A need to repel Western-Christian incursions was the point of the reference made to the Crusades, in which European kings tried to take control of Jerusalem from the Muslims.

Mohammed Sherif, editor of the newspaper Dustour in Amman, said: "Arabia carried the torch of Islam to the unbelievers. Think of how the average Muslim will view the coming of this army to invade an Arab nation. It evokes deep feelings."

Do I need to continue or enuf said? :unsure:

You make a very articulate point(s) and I appreciate the insight in to the attitudes and feeling you speak about. Something politicians don't seem to understand sometimes, attitudes and feeling are often the truth for people that have those feelings. I honestly think that President Bush (W) had good intentions, but he gave the appearance of being the mighty Christian that is going to set all Muslims free. Good intentions, bad methods. I think that just as you express so well a tip of the iceberg of the feeling of the modern Muslin world, I hope you understand that the Christian world is not the bad guy. It is going to take all religions to come together in mutual respect to have a truly peaceful world. The past is the past and although it should never be forgotten, it should maybe be forgiven, by everyone.

Timeline

Sorry, I'm not changing my avatar. And, yes, the Crusades and any other history of oppression done in the name of Christianity is fair game to throw back at anyone spouting the company line about how benevolent Christianity is toward lowly non-Christians. In my own not so ancient lifetime there are instances of Christian barbarity. You can't just take credit for the good and dismiss the bad. Plus, if the Crusades is ancient history, therefore irrelevant, than what's stopping the life and teachings of Jesus from being dismissed in the same way as ancient history? Following that logic, not much.

Very good points. If I came across as saying the Christianity is being benevolent towards lowly non-Christians than I apologize. That was not the intent of my post.

You make a good point and provide food for thought when you say why forgive the Crusades from a thousand years ago when we should not forget the teachings of Christ from 2000 years ago.

Thanks

Timeline

I understand these questions are ott, but the are excellent ones as long as you only consider the paradigm of religion as a motivating factor for armed conflict and engagement. Reality is a bit different, though, considering other factors such as the greed of corporate structures that have exponentially seen profits rise as our debt did the same; humanitarian concerns, etc.

Yes, reality is always a bit different than the theory. Add the human factors in to the mix and the results are almost never what the theory said they would be. Good points,

Thanks

Filed: Timeline
I am in %100 agreement with on your well-made point. I remember a time in America when it was not 24/7. Families did do things together on Sunday's. My last 20 years in Germany I have seen the progression towards stores opening on Sunday's and thankfully the influential Churches have been opposed to it. I think it is a Pandoras Box. Once stores start being open on Sunday then 24/7 is soon to follow. And at whos expense, the workers and their families. Although they will say that working on Sunday is voluntary, anyone that has ever worked at a retail store knows thats not true.

I don't know how most religious people (nuts as you call them) feel about stores being open on Sunday, but I dont think it is right imho.

It's not so much about businesses open on Sundays although I believe that Sunday should be a day of rest and a day to spend time with family and friends. We have decided against family and friends and opted for business instead. Whatever. But why is it common for store closing on Christmas (and Thanksgiving, for that matter) but not on Easter? It's nuts. IF there is a holy day in a predominantly Christian country, it would be Easter and not Christmas and least of all Thanksgiving. If we can't decide to observe the holiest day on the calendar then Christianity is then nothing but lip service, isn't it? And then we want to muster outrage over the President for not making big enough a deal out of this holiday that for millions of Americans is nothing but a regular workday while not being outraged with businesses that don't observe this holiest of days on the calendar? Pfft.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

From the White House blog referenced above:

"The President's message is part of an on-going dialogue with Muslim communities that began on inauguration day and has continued with his statement on Nowruz, during trips to Ankara and Cairo, and with interviews with media outlets such as Al Arabiya and Dawn TV."

Also, I am Catholic and I am not offended if my president fails to give a televised speech especially for one of the holy days I celebrate. I do not look to my president for religious direction. I look to God and my faith community for that.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Timeline

It's not so much about businesses open on Sundays although I believe that Sunday should be a day of rest and a day to spend time with family and friends. We have decided against family and friends and opted for business instead. Whatever. But why is it common for store closing on Christmas (and Thanksgiving, for that matter) but not on Easter? It's nuts. IF there is a holy day in a predominantly Christian country, it would be Easter and not Christmas and least of all Thanksgiving. If we can't decide to observe the holiest day on the calendar then Christianity is then nothing but lip service, isn't it? And then we want to muster outrage over the President for not making big enough a deal out of this holiday that for millions of Americans is nothing but a regular workday while not being outraged with businesses that don't observe this holiest of days on the calendar? Pfft.

I am not personally outraged about what the President did or did not do in regards to an Easter Greeting. I am dismayed about the direction of the country because what you say is totally correct in my opinion. I don't have details and facts but seems like Presidents have made more reference to the USA and its religious roots in the past. With the current President allegedly not mentioning that as much as previous Presidents it shows a trend away from religion, just as your point does about business being open on Easter. It goes hand in hand. Maybe on the major religious holidays if America was encouraged by its leaders to remember its religious heritage and honor some of those principals, attitudes would return to the day when it was unthinkable to open a store and Sunday.

Atheist will probably disagree with this of course, but that is a part of the discourse.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I am not personally outraged about what the President did or did not do in regards to an Easter Greeting. I am dismayed about the direction of the country because what you say is totally correct in my opinion. I don't have details and facts but seems like Presidents have made more reference to the USA and its religious roots in the past. With the current President allegedly not mentioning that as much as previous Presidents it shows a trend away from religion, just as your point does about business being open on Easter. It goes hand in hand. Maybe on the major religious holidays if America was encouraged by its leaders to remember its religious heritage and honor some of those principals, attitudes would return to the day when it was unthinkable to open a store and Sunday.

Atheist will probably disagree with this of course, but that is a part of the discourse.

This is a good thing though. Religions can become captives of their governments (see Iran). I'm not sure Christianity should be associated with some of the things the US does.

Filed: Timeline
Maybe on the major religious holidays if America was encouraged by its leaders to remember its religious heritage and honor some of those principals, attitudes would return to the day when it was unthinkable to open a store and Sunday.

I don't know. People in Europe are afforded the opportunity to celebrate Easter w/o politicians having to make any big deal about it. Businesses close on holidays - religious or not - and that's the end of it. It doesn't take a sermon from government officials to let people observe major religious holidays.