Danno

No Easter Greeting from Obama, yet he has never missed A muslim greeting.

85 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

The thread title may be inaccurate, but the entire theme is not. There is the appearance that the President, his administration and others in Government seem to neglect or ignore some Christian ideas and concepts at varying times throughout the year. Just the other day Harry Reid neglected to include the words "under God" while saying the pledge of allegiance. I suppose that is to the delight of some, it is to the concern of others.

I do not know if The Lord enjoy's brevity or not, but I do know through scriptures that he does enjoy praise. There sometimes appears to be some lacking of praise from the current President imho.

Okay, so why bother comparing it to a speech to muslims? Are we measuring his Christianity now by the length of his speeches regarding other religions?

Edited by Sousuke

Timeline

Okay, so why bother comparing it to a speech to muslims? Are we measuring his Christianity now by the length of his speeches regarding other religions?

Moreover, as Christians should we be measuring others faith at all? Is this what God wants?

Edited by Sousuke

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I am not measuring him or judging him at all. That judgement will come one day and not from me. I think his speech to Muslims is fine as well as to any other religion for that matter. The USA is the home of religious freedom. There is a constant attack upon Christians and especially conservative Christians from several directions. If the leader of the USA were to maybe make the main theme of his weekly radio address on Easter Weekend a theme oriented towards Christians in the USA and around the world, I would have been pleased. The decision was not to take that opportunity to use Easter Weekend for an Easter themed address, so be it. I feel he is pandering to the anti-Christian groups in this country purely for political reasons imho.

Timeline

Moreover, as Christians should we be measuring others faith at all? Is this what God wants?

Very good point. Thanks for making it. We should not judge because we will be judged ourselves.

Timeline

I am not measuring him or judging him at all. That judgement will come one day and not from me. I think his speech to Muslims is fine as well as to any other religion for that matter. The USA is the home of religious freedom. There is a constant attack upon Christians and especially conservative Christians from several directions. If the leader of the USA were to maybe make the main theme of his weekly radio address on Easter Weekend a theme oriented towards Christians in the USA and around the world, I would have been pleased. The decision was not to take that opportunity to use Easter Weekend for an Easter themed address, so be it. I feel he is pandering to the anti-Christian groups in this country purely for political reasons imho.

Wait so other religions are automatically anti Christian. (or are you referring to something else here?...given the recent context of your posts I would assume you mean Islam?)

Going back I still don't see how different speech times equates to neglecting or ignoring Christianity. For instance is it not possible for a shorter speech to be greater than a longer one?

Edited by Sousuke

Timeline

I am not talking about other religions at all so don't read in to something that is not there. I am talking about the modern anti religion part of society. Or to put it a better way, the trend in modern society to mock religion, especially Christianity, but others as well and I am sure in other parts of the world their modern societal trends is to mock the predominant religion of that part of the world. I could be all wrong, but I can picture that it is in trend for young adults in x-country to mock x-religion. It is a generational thing too, all around the world. Don't know for sure, but I bet it is the same all over.

As far as speech length, you are absolutely correct. One of the most power speeches ever given was one of shortest, (don't want to count the words or I will be called a name)

Never....Never.....Never Give Up (Except from Speech that was very short)

Winston Churchill

Edited by wshc

Timeline

I am not talking about other religions at all so don't read in to something that is not there. I am talking about the modern anti religion part of society. Or to put it a better way, the trend in modern society to mock religion, especially Christianity, but others as well and I am sure in other parts of the world their modern societal trends is to mock the predominant religion of that part of the world. I could be all wrong, but I can picture that it is in trend for young adults in x-country to mock x-religion. It is a generational thing too, all around the world. Don't know for sure, but I bet it is the same all over.

As far as speech length, you are absolutely correct. One of the most power speeches ever given was one of the most powerful, (don't want to count the words or I will be called a name)

Never....Never.....Never Give Up (Except from Speech that was very short)

Winston Churchill

To be fair I was always taught that Christianity is under attack but as I've grown up I've never felt it personally. Even in the UK, which is basically an atheist nation (IMO) I never was discriminated against. (Except my roommates did once watch some program on virginity rings while I was out. When I came in they kept asking me all these questions about a silver ring on my finger. I finally got to the bottom of that! ).

Edited by Sousuke

What ever happened to good ol' separation of church and state? Politics are run by the president and the political parties - what is run by God is a whole other matter, and largely a question of personal devotion and beliefs. Does he really need to give a laundry list of religions and God-figures in every speech and public address to satisfy the public? And, again, as has been established in this thread many many times already - he did not forget the Christians in his Easter greetings.

Obama is a God-believing man. Trying to turn him into anything else is just desperate attempts to grasp onto anything that can somehow be twisted into a "mistake by the Whitehouse". If he failed to acknowledge the Muslims in his speech, that would have been turned into something as well. If he acknowledges them too much, it is suspicious, since - after all - his middle name is Hussein.

And, I don't mean to insult anyone by this - but saying that the Christian religion is under constant attacks is like saying that the white male is being oppressed. If the Christian church is losing support, it most definitely is not because of something Obama said or did not say. You're right, wshc, the Lutheran church is losing support in Europe, at least in Scandinavia. I have my own opinions about why that is - but I can most certainly say that it is not because of Obama and the Whitehouse's holiday greetings.

Edited by Little_My

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Trig, do you know what the word Insinuate means?

Enlighten me; its your thread and your OP. ;)

(Don't make something about you deflect on others)

Again, Danno, the weekly address this last Saturday started as follows: "This is a time of year when people get together with family and friends to observe Passover and to celebrate Easter. It’s a chance to give thanks for our blessings and reaffirm our faith, while spending time with the people we love."

No mention of Easter, eh? :rolleyes:

Political schizophrenia...

Filed: Timeline

So, is it mocking Christianity when major retailers open their stores on the holiest of days - that would be Easter - in the supposedly most Christian nation on earth while letting them enjoy Christmas w/o having to drag their collective arses into work? Is it mocking Christianity when the parking lots of said retailers are packed all fcuking day on this holiest day? Isn't it funny that out of two grocery chains down here in Florida that actually respect the Easter holiday one is actually a German company? You know, Germany where people have - if you listen to the religious right here in the US - long lost their way?

I mean, we're a Christian nation - as the religious right tirelessly reminds us - and can't even put shopping or churning a fcuking profit aside for this holiest day in the fcuking calendar? Can you spell hypocrisy? Can you? When are all the Bible thumpers starting to boycott Big Lots and Walmart and Walgreens and CVS and all the other unchristian places of business that won't allow their staff to properly observe the holiest day and are quite obviously concerned about nothing but making a buck. When? Tell me and then I might consider taking these righteous folks somewhat more seriously.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Timeline

To be fair I was always taught that Christianity is under attack but as I've grown up I've never felt it personally. Even in the UK, which is basically an atheist nation (IMO) I never was discriminated against. (Except my roommates did once watch some program on virginity rings while I was out. When I came in they kept asking me all these questions about a silver ring on my finger. I finally got to the bottom of that! ).

I agree with you on those well made points. But then just a few posts from here and you will see an attack on Christianity. He makes a valid point about Christian hypocrites, but his language delegates the conversation from being intelligent to being nothing but rubbish unfortunately.

So I am unsure if an attack from a foul mouth person on an internet forum is a personal attack against me as a Christian or Christianity. Thoughts?

Edited by wshc

Filed: Timeline

+1 Well said.

although, to the red, I'd say 'non-Christian' was a better term.

Edited by Anita Cocktail

Personal attacks and name calling are violations of the VJ TOS. If you are engaged in name-calling etc., please refrain.

Thanks

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif