LucyLovesRicky

How and when will he ever get a job? So frustrated

70 posts in this topic

Timeline

Really?? my company is hiring as i speak they have a booth outside the oc they r needing drivers. so ye end of discussion trucking is the way to go as long as u have what it takes.

Not end of discussion by any means. Your company (Schneider) is a bottom feeder ####### company that has a huge turnover yearly because so many come and go. Most companies have huge turnovers so it seems to be a lot of hiring but it is musical chairs. Last I read your own company has like a 300% a year turnover. If they treated their drivers better then the turnover will lessen and keep their drivers and have full employment.

Timeline

i got my cdl in 3 weeks... my total training AFTER cdl school with my company was one month b4 i got my own truck. so far my wage packets have not below 600 per week. but again trucking is NOT for everyone esp when it comes to backing that sucker up lol

Then your school was crappy. School is usually 6 weeks unless an extra certification is needed. One of the reasons your company has a high turnover is because newbies are ill trained and that is the primary reason they also are among the worst reputations in the industry. Newbies need to be well trained before being on their own.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Then your school was crappy. School is usually 6 weeks unless an extra certification is needed. One of the reasons your company has a high turnover is because newbies are ill trained and that is the primary reason they also are among the worst reputations in the industry. Newbies need to be well trained before being on their own.

really u know nothing of my training in fact my training proved to be better than the 6 week or longer training since i knew how to back up and do my own logs.

i was WELL trained and with over 2800 miles per week for the past 8 weeks and no accidents.

my company has a hi turnover because drivers simply cant drive, have a preventable accident or they dont like the miles they get because they dont wanna fill in the mac18 which i fill in daily and have my loads back to back.

anyhow am tired of talking to you. have a good day and if u r a truck driver be safe out there.

Event Date

US Entry : 2004-04-24

Marriage : 2009-02-28

I-130 Sent : 2009-06-17

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-07-23

I-130 Approved : 2009-08-20

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Cleveland OH

Date Filed : 2009-06-17

NOA Date : 2009-06-19

Bio. Appt. : 2009-07-15

Interview Date : 2009-08-24 Submit Review

Approval / Denial Date : 2010-05-26

Approved : Yes

Got I551 Stamp : No

Greencard Received:

Comments : had to attend a 2nd interview on the 26th may but it was then aprroved :)

Employment Authorization Document

CIS Office : Cleveland OH

Filing Method : Mail

Filing Instance : First

Date Filed : 2009-06-17

NOA Date : 2009-07-24

Approved Date : 2009-08-19

Date Card Received : 2009-08-21

Estimates/Stats : Your EAD was approved in 63 days.

got an ex-trucker for a husband... he made good money BEFORE but too much BS nowadays.

also BAD for raising kids/family. no family time... unless you plan to either drive with him or ride with him.

if you do drive/ride with him.. too much time together in such a small space plus all the road BS is bad for marriage.

i know coz I've been there. :-)

we are both glad we are out of the trucking business.

what state are you in? i am in the same boat as your husband, can't get any job. gone to one interview... (only one call back for interview) didn't get hired. got all the degree and office work experience in my home country but nada. well, good luck to you.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I really wish your husband success very soon and try not to lose hope!

I think these days, it's best to try to speak with the owners or managers of a business directly if possible, or at least get their contact info and definitely follow up with them after submitting the resume, and be persistent. Online or paper applications are not always efficient and can get lost in a big pile of other applicants. I agree with other posters that networking with others is a good idea.

Also, looking for a job these days takes a lot of creativity and selling yourself as the best candidate .....it's really changed over the years I think.

My husband is from Egypt and is a trained Chef with a 2 year degree and 7 years experience in Egypt. He started his job search here by walking into all the mediterrenean and Italian restaurants in our area and asking to speak to the manager or owner directly (we live in a pretty large city in n. calif).

He made up business cards with his name and specialty (Mediterrenean food) and starting handing them out everywhere.

He found his first job within 9 weeks being here by walking into a Turkish restaurant and asked the owner for a job and was hired on the spot as a chef. He's still there 1 year later, gaining a lot of experience. The pay isn't that great and the owner has been cutting everyone's hours, so my husband just found a second job for extra hours by walking into a Persian kabob restaurant, again, speaking to the owner directly. A week later they called him in and hired him and he's already in charge of the menu.

He's always on the lookout for a better paying position, but at least in the meantime, he's gaining great experience.

Don't let your husband give up, it sounds like he has a lot of good experience from Egypt that hopefully soon he can get a job with :)

01-04-09 - Married in Egyptian Embassy - Qatar - honeymoon in Egypt (Ahmed's home country)

05-04-09 - I-130 Sent

12-13-09 - INTERVIEW PASSED (Qatar)....Spent 12 weeks in AP

03-03-10 - VISA IN HAND :)

03-06-10 - AHMED COMES HOME :)

03-12-10 - SS# card received

03-19-10 - GC received

05-15-10 - First job

06-01-11 - Better job!

03-2012 - Started our business

Removal of Conditions/10 yr GC

02-15-12 - Sent I-175 ROC

07-17-12 - approved!....card production ordered!!!!

07-21-12 - 10 yr card arrived in mail :)

03-2013 - Apply for Naturalization

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Uh, back to topic - OP, how's hubby's job hunt going ?

We are still putting in aps., but no luck yet. But we are taking the advice of some of the posters.

We are fine tuning his resume and he is working harder at making contacts at the mosque and at school. Actually a couple of these people have given him some leads just this week that he is following up on. Also, we are trying to find a place he can volunteer on a regular basis. (Possibly the Library in the Literacy Center, I have a good contact there.)

We believe this has been his biggest problem not having work exp. and contacts here in the U.S. Although, he does have some references from some odd jobs: It does not seem to be enough. We are also still considering changing his name, but we really hate to do that.

In the meantime he will continue with school and maybe he can get work experiece at the college next year, as he missed the opportunity this year. We are still undecided about the trucking school. We are afraid it is something we will not be able to handle.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
We are still putting in aps., but no luck yet. But we are taking the advice of some of the posters.

We are fine tuning his resume and he is working harder at making contacts at the mosque and at school. Actually a couple of these people have given him some leads just this week that he is following up on. Also, we are trying to find a place he can volunteer on a regular basis. (Possibly the Library in the Literacy Center, I have a good contact there.)

We believe this has been his biggest problem not having work exp. and contacts here in the U.S. Although, he does have some references from some odd jobs: It does not seem to be enough. We are also still considering changing his name, but we really hate to do that.

In the meantime he will continue with school and maybe he can get work experiece at the college next year, as he missed the opportunity this year. We are still undecided about the trucking school. We are afraid it is something we will not be able to handle.

Regarding changing his name... does he have a nickname that he uses that you could put on the resume? If he gets an interview he can give his full legal name but go by a "known by" name. For instance a woman I know has the name Jane or something and her middle name is Betty. I never knew her real name wasn't Betty until Mum told me. She just preferred to be called Betty. It shouldn't be required but that might be an idea.

• 2 weeks later...

If his English is good, then he will get a job in a call center easily. Have you tried the temp/contract agencies such as Spherion, Technisource? There are so many call centers here in America and they are always hiring through temp agencies, once in the door, then he can prove himself to get something better. But at least it will tide you over for now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.