LucyLovesRicky

How and when will he ever get a job? So frustrated

70 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Good luck on one coming from Egypt driving a truck now. I think the CNA training is an excellent Idea except for it's against his religion customes to wash another woman's private parts. But when you're trying to put food on the table, and pay the bills, one has to make the right decision for him/her own self.

Are you serious dude .... you make me crack up....:)

If you have this attitude noone can help you - you just like to blame it on others, take some responsibility on yourself.

Nothing wrong using an alias - we have people at my work whose real name is Mohammed and he goes by Mike - no issues at all.

Strongly suggest using an alias or even going through the name change even before naturalization (you fill out the forms and just pay the filing fee at court - under $100).

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

morena_boricua

Yes, we have thought the resume and how the applications are filled out should be done differently, but at the local One Stop (employement agency) they don't seem to know anything more about anything than we do.

I think they are there to just collect their paycheck all they do is refer you to websites, things you could do on your own at home, and hard for people with limited English reading skills. He is much better nowadays after 3 semesters of college classes.

Anyway, someone has offered to rewiew his resume for us.

I will be happy to review your documentation too. Email it morena_boricua@hotmail.com

The harsh reality is that all of us need appropriate ACCREDITED training to be considered for a career. My advice is for both of you to go to an accredited school and attend while you continue your job search. Think long term... a career. Truck driving may very well be a good remunerating career, but will it solve your problems 10 years from now?

I am probably more academic than others, but keep in mind I work for a union. My Egyptian boyfriend understands this well, he graduates in June from his Master's degree. That said, this doesn't garantee he'll find a job here at all. We were talking about that today. We've decided to transfer his credits to a university here so he can convalidate his education and finalize a degree here. Then, we both we'll study our doctorates.

Look for financial aid. There are many options, including work/ study. Be critical in your analysis; right now you're emotional. I do not blame you at all, I am going through some stress right now... not to mention, I miss my fiancee. You will be fine. I know in my heart you will. Just be critical: prioritize your tasks, set up job and career goals, organize a research on all areas of interest and build a plan. Then, execute the plan.

God bless!

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I really appreciate all the replies, they have helped us to make some decisions, and to focus on some goals and to revamp his resume. I also appreciate that people were not mean. I have seen it many times on these boards and it made me very reluctant to divulge so much personal stuff but I was really upset and I don't really have any family and friends that I can talk to about it. That's kind of our problem we don't have any family and very few friends around where we live. Especially the kind of connections it takes to help you in this kind of situation. But we've decided to try some of your suggestions. And we feel a little better. The future doesn't look quite so dark.

A special thanks to those who offered to review his resume, one already has and gave us some very good advice that we will take.

I hope things get better for you.

I find VJers are about the only ones who CAN understand these kinds of problems. My husband never did find a job here, but is now a stay at home dad so the baby kind of trumped him looking for a while. At any rate, my parents and others couldn't understand why he didn't just get a job at McDonalds or what not - and he doesn't even have the 'name' issues your husband had!

I just think non US working experience hurts them, and no matter how people LOVE his accent and clamor towards him for it all the time, it did not translate into a job for him. I do kind of worry as to what he might find once our daughter is in school and he's ready to get out there again. I can only hope his time living here and getting to know people will somehow serve him well. But I worry about his retirement and how we will pay for that when the time comes. Again - something only VJers can really understand.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

It was very frustrating for my husband when he first got here. I tried to forwarn him just because he was consider successfull in Egypt and it would be so completely different here. Everyone is competetive here.

When he first got here he would do anything to stay busy. Paint somebody's house, mow their lawn. Anything. He put out resumes everywhere that he could think of and even went to the local job force to see if they could help. Nothing.

He made friends at the mosque and started to do alot of networking. That paid out. He got a job that one of his friends told him about and put in a good reference for him. It's a far cry from the business that he had in Egypt, but this new job has opened up new doors for him and now he is getting ready to go back to school and learn a new career.

Who knew that somebody who had his own business in computer software would one day be a chef? :thumbs:

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. " – Herm Albright

POE: JFK New York: 04/18/2010
Receive Green Card in mail: 06/03/2010
Received SSN: 06/17/2010
Received NEW SS CARD: 07/20/2010
(to match GC!)
Got JOB!!: 09/27/2010
Got a better JOB!!: 11/20/2010

ROC Mailed: 02/16/2012
Check cashed: 02/24/2012
NOA received dated for: 02/22/2012
Biometrics dated:
04/18/2012
RFE:
10/23/2012
RFE Response Confirmed: 11/16/2012
Interview at Orlando office: 02/13/2013

2nd RFE!!: 10/03/13

2nd RFE Response: 10/09/2013

Update Biometrics: 10/13/2013 NEVER GOT 10 yr card!

N-400 mailed: 01/21/2014

Biometrics (N-400): 02/21/2014

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

i had one yrs work exp as a shelf stocker for winn-dixie but with my letter from my immigration lawyer as to y my work history was small i was contacted by 6 companys. i now work for schneider national and am very happy with my job. i got this job in feb 11

Well, I am here, and I have read all the comments and suggestions. I appreciate them and I will ask him to read them as well maybe something you all said will spark a fire in him to get started again.

Actually, we are seriously considering trucking school after he finishes this semester in community college. We have reservations, but are pretty desperate. We are concerned because most of them want work experience which he does not have much of here. But they did say they will accept letters of reference from individuals of whom he did yard work and home repairs for, thank goodness we have people willing to write them.

The trouble is, in Egypt he was a self-employed carpenter for most of his life, and owned a barber shop at one time. Why didn't i get to meet him when he was making really good money back then. No, he didn't cut hair just owned and operated it. He did work for a few companies when younger, stores, hotels, warehouses etc.

He did go to school to become a computer programmer, but that degree seems to be worthless here. And he never got to use it in Egypt. Things are so different here and it's been so long he feels he would need to go back to school here to qualify for a meaningful job doing that. I wish he was wrong but I'm aftaid he's not.

Yes, we are considering changing his name when he applies for citizenship. He hates to do it but we have awhile to decide on that point.

We did consider using his nickname, or a part of his name that isn't Mohamed when he applies for jobs, but thought it would be dishonest, and maybe disqualify him for the job if they thought he lied on his application.

Yes, I have helped a lot with his applications, and maybe it's getting to the point that I shouldn't. When He first came here, his speaking English was good but not his reading. Especially some of the questions they ask. My lord I have a hard time understandinkg them myself.

Sorry, for the long book but since there was so many comments wanted to share some things.

We met a man from Egypt when he first came here, well I knew his son first, and introduced them. This man owned a store in the local mall and decided to move the store to a mall in a bigger city. My husband helped him move, design and build the inside of the new store and was promised a job as a salesman when done. The man paid him well in the beginning. So, we rearranged our whole lives and moved there.

The man must have had second thoughts, because my husband started getting hints that he wasn't making money and couldnt pay much. Well, anyway, it was a big old mess and he had to go to department of labor to get his money. So, we moved back to our old city where we could make it financially. He's like a target, one man hired him for a week, was going to train to be a mechanic, after the week he changed his mind, too mucre h for him. Another man had him working like a dog, doing salvage, and didn't want to pay him after a couple of weeks, he got his money about four months later, after threatening with DOL.

So, it's not like he hasn't done anything since he's been here. He has tried, but we keep having bad luck. Everytime we think this is it. Our hopes are dashed. So, we are in a lull, right now, just hoping the trucking school won't be a mess like the other stuff. After all, you have to pay for it.

Anyway, thank for trying to help and I will be in contact with the person who wrote me privately.

Event Date

US Entry : 2004-04-24

Marriage : 2009-02-28

I-130 Sent : 2009-06-17

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-07-23

I-130 Approved : 2009-08-20

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Cleveland OH

Date Filed : 2009-06-17

NOA Date : 2009-06-19

Bio. Appt. : 2009-07-15

Interview Date : 2009-08-24 Submit Review

Approval / Denial Date : 2010-05-26

Approved : Yes

Got I551 Stamp : No

Greencard Received:

Comments : had to attend a 2nd interview on the 26th may but it was then aprroved :)

Employment Authorization Document

Filing Method : Mail

Filing Instance : First

NOA Date : 2009-07-24

Approved Date : 2009-08-19

Date Card Received : 2009-08-21

Estimates/Stats : Your EAD was approved in 63 days.

Timeline

Ok, this is like beating a dead horse, but I will do what no others have done to solve your problem. You need a job. He needs a job. You are broke. Now, I ask you to keep an open mind. I know that you are educated and might consider what I am about to propose as silly. But, I will go ahead and tell you anyways. Our economy is in the dumper. Manufacturing has all but vanished. One industry that has stood the test of every economic down turn has been the trucking industry. I know doctors and lawyers who gave it all up to drive big trucks and they love it. I hope you are a doctor or a lawyer. You can be working within two weeks if you want. Both of you can travel the country and get paid well for it. As a matter of fact, both of you can learn to drive and be making $120,000 within two years. You think I am lying? That will be your problem. Investigate some trucking schools in your area. Find out, by going to some truck stops in your area and talk to couples who are driving together. What have you got to lose but a few hours of your time.

Bull. You will not be making no 120,000 dollars withing two years. Yes you can go to school and within 2 MONTHS be heading to your first trucking job. About 2 months of training with a trainer and you will be on your own. Expect if you are diligent that you maybe can make 40,000 around in the first few years. The only problem when you are getting to the end of school is which company to go work for. After a year or two with a company and gain experience and look for your next company and have a good record and any company you talk to will only ask when you can start working. I was looking again after taking almost a year off to build a business and house for my babe and during the worst of the economy and times they fell all over themselves to get me to come to work. It is a good job and can be decent money but he will be away from home for weeks at a time and home for a few days. At the least he will be working and in a few years he can look for local. Very few people have what it takes to be a good truck driver. Most fail within 6 months though but for sure you go to school you will have a job when the school is over unless one has a felony on their record. Have a DWI then forget it. Bad driving record then forget it. Owe a lot of money (They check your credit rating) then forget it. I would never tell anyone a rosy picture of truck driving.

Timeline

That is HOGWASH. Trucking companies only care about one thing; getting those idle trucks moving. There are ten jobs for every driver now. Wearing a turbin will have absolutely no bearing on getting a job as a driver. The product must get to market. End of discussion!!!

Not end of discussion. There are NO ten jobs for every trucker and never has been, Need to stop spreading this pipe dream.wacko.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Bull. You will not be making no 120,000 dollars withing two years. Yes you can go to school and within 2 MONTHS be heading to your first trucking job. About 2 months of training with a trainer and you will be on your own. Expect if you are diligent that you maybe can make 40,000 around in the first few years. The only problem when you are getting to the end of school is which company to go work for. After a year or two with a company and gain experience and look for your next company and have a good record and any company you talk to will only ask when you can start working. I was looking again after taking almost a year off to build a business and house for my babe and during the worst of the economy and times they fell all over themselves to get me to come to work. It is a good job and can be decent money but he will be away from home for weeks at a time and home for a few days. At the least he will be working and in a few years he can look for local. Very few people have what it takes to be a good truck driver. Most fail within 6 months though but for sure you go to school you will have a job when the school is over unless one has a felony on their record. Have a DWI then forget it. Bad driving record then forget it. Owe a lot of money (They check your credit rating) then forget it. I would never tell anyone a rosy picture of truck driving.

Thank You Lucky Txn for your honest, experienced opinion. We are scared he and me can not handle it, so we are really talking everything out before he jumps right in.

Timeline

Thank You Lucky Txn for your honest, experienced opinion. We are scared he and me can not handle it, so we are really talking everything out before he jumps right in.

That is the best thing to do. I wish you both the best. Ever have any questions about that industry then feel free to send a message. As I said before it is not for everybody for sure but it can be a great job.

Timeline

Not end of discussion. There are NO ten jobs for every trucker and never has been, Need to stop spreading this pipe dream.wacko.gif

Really?? my company is hiring as i speak they have a booth outside the oc they r needing drivers. so ye end of discussion trucking is the way to go as long as u have what it takes.

Event Date

Adjustment of Status

Greencard Received:

Comments : had to attend a 2nd interview on the 26th may but it was then aprroved :)

Timeline

i got my cdl in 3 weeks... my total training AFTER cdl school with my company was one month b4 i got my own truck. so far my wage packets have not below 600 per week. but again trucking is NOT for everyone esp when it comes to backing that sucker up lol

Event Date

Adjustment of Status

Greencard Received:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.