Sah213

Concerned after being over questioned at the airport

50 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

But what was the purpose of her questioning? a lecture? make you change your mind? or not let you pass through immigration (I figure you're a US Citizen, therefore she obviously couldn't do that).

Yeah. I don't understand why this line of questioning needs to be answered by a US Citizen. What does it have to do with re-entering your own country? Can't you just say you don't need to respond to that?

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05
AOS sent: 05/16/2012
AOS received USCIS: 5/23/2012
EAD Delivered: 8/3/2012
AOS Interview: 08/20/2012.
Green Card Received: 08/27/2012

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014
ROC Biometrics Appt. 8/21/2014
ROC RFE 10/2014 Evidence sent 1/4/2014

ROC Approval Letter received 1/13/2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

At the end he did tell me this should help my wife pass her interview. They make it feel like you broke the law visiting your SO. I don't know what all he entered into the computer there was lots of typing going on. I guess it's tied into the NVC computers. I forget about that I hope it does help her pass her interview. Lots of questions though about why I wanted a younger wife what happened to the other 2 petitions why did I withdraw them. He told me they were looking for visa fraud. Asked me if anyone had given me money to travel or bought my plane tickets. It was very interesting I was pretty nervous I had no idea what was going on until he told me. May 9th and 10th is her interview I'll be reporting back the results for sure. I am quite nervous about that.

Thx for sharing your story.. Well i was feeling like you.. I dont know either what has been written about us.. I understand the security reasons but it was my 1st time being questionned this way.. So I was worried.. Before i posted this topic, I didnt heard anybody talking about this kind of situation.. Now some other members are talking about em too.. I just hope our stories help others to understand in case it happens to them too.. Thx to all of you that are replying in a constructive way..

Timeline

Yeah. I don't understand why this line of questioning needs to be answered by a US Citizen. What does it have to do with re-entering your own country? Can't you just say you don't need to respond to that?

Another question I have is - do they know you filed a K-1? Is it in their computer or something? If it isn't, I would just say I went on a pleasure trip and not even mention my fiance to begin with.

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

That is horrible!!!! I am soooo sorry you had that experience. Ignorance is all I can say! Ignorance! Please do not let that lady get to you. She's probably just mad because that happened to her or something. Geeeeeez! Even if she does make a note in their system, I doubt he would be denied entry based on her comments. If I were you I would call and file a complaint about that woman. We are Americans and we have rights and that was a violation of your rights in my opinion. That woman had no right to ask you anything other than why you went there. Giving her opinions to you was not and is not necessary. And by the way what airport was this?

She can definately ask for the the details, wht the visit was for and wht she did there etc. There is nothing wrong in it, in todays world customs / immigration does not just work as immigration offcier but they also have to double as the first line of response.

There has been some case where Arab men marrying American women for visa or just to enter US and then carry out a terrorist attack.

Last failed such public attempt was in NY where man from pak carried out such attack.

Officer was just expressing her opinon and there is nothing to complain about.

Timeline

Another question I have is - do they know you filed a K-1? Is it in their computer or something? If it isn't, I would just say I went on a pleasure trip and not even mention my fiance to begin with.

They just asked about her fiance name and detail, so in case if she has some doubts on her story, officer can go and check if there was really K1 filled and her story was complete and real.

In my case, the officer (I can't remember if this was immigration or customs) brought it up. He specifically asked the purpose of my trip...I said pleasure...he then asked specifically if I had met a woman there...and after I said yes, it was off to the races.

My questioning only lasted about 5 minutes at the booth...but I was the only one I noticed who got that barrage of questions, so I hit a profile trigger, I'm sure. "Hrmmmm....Single guy travelling to Philippines...he must be buying a mail-order bride or something."

It was very embarrassing though, because there was a big line of people within earshot.

Edited by magdasal

ROC

06/15/2013 - I-751 Sent

06/19/2013 - NOA 1

07/17/2013 - Biometrics

08/19/2013 - Case transferred from VSC to CSC

09/17/2013 - Approved!

09/23/2013 - Received approval notice.

10/09/2013 - Card received. Fini!

N400

12/18/2017 - N400 submitted

12/19/2017 - NOA

01/09/2018 - Biometrics

04/10/2018 - Interview

04/27/2018 - Oath

Timeline

They just asked about her fiance name and detail, so in case if she has some doubts on her story, officer can go and check if there was really K1 filled and her story was complete and real.

I just recall them asking me whether my trip was for business or pleasure. I said pleasure. I did get patted down both in Morocco and in the U.S., and they even let my olives and spices through - I was surprised about that.

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

She can definately ask for the the details, wht the visit was for and wht she did there etc. There is nothing wrong in it, in todays world customs / immigration does not just work as immigration offcier but they also have to double as the first line of response.

There has been some case where Arab men marrying American women for visa or just to enter US and then carry out a terrorist attack.

Last failed such public attempt was in NY where man from pak carried out such attack.

Officer was just expressing her opinon and there is nothing to complain about.

There have been cases where asian men, african men, english men etc etc marry for just a visa. This happens in many developed countries, not just the US. Does that mean that customs have the right to treat everyone like #######?

Anyway, To the OP.. My fiance went through this back in february. He is a white convert and he was asked what mosque he visits and whether he has ever been to the middle east. What the hell did that have to do with our trip to dublin? I can totally sympathize with you and I really hope you don't encounter problems again.

Timeline

I just recall them asking me whether my trip was for business or pleasure. I said pleasure. I did get patted down both in Morocco and in the U.S., and they even let my olives and spices through - I was surprised about that.

Pat down in Morocco, I cannot comment on that Pat down in US could be just coz from where you were coming.

Food wise, they normally don't care as long as it it processed, they just dont want ppl to bring organic food green veggies or raw meat etc.

You would not believe ppl try to bring in raw meat.

Timeline

There have been cases where asian men, african men, english men etc etc marry for just a visa. This happens in many developed countries, not just the US. Does that mean that customs have the right to treat everyone like #######?

Anyway, To the OP.. My fiance went through this back in february. He is a white convert and he was asked what mosque he visits and whether he has ever been to the middle east. What the hell did that have to do with our trip to dublin? I can totally sympathize with you and I really hope you don't encounter problems again.

PPl from Asia or ppl from other religion are not involved in bombing, that's the problem.

There were some case where ppl from Arabic country were marrying not for love, but just to enter the country and carry out terrorist attacks.

As I mentioned now days with current situation, immigration is first line of defence.

There has been even white guys who are involved like a white guy who entered India as tourist and did all the mapping an planning for terorist attack in Mumbai for a Muslim terorist group.

So does not matter who you are if they have doubt they will question everyone.

They have questioned and put ppl in secondry questioning some very famous celebraity as well so nothing to complain about. Its just the way the world is now.

Too bad you didnt tell the story teller you understood Cinderella but couldnt relate because she should know Algerians dont wear shoes. Dont let this go without responce because she will continue until stopped.

Awesome. :rofl:

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Hi VJ community! Recently I returned of visiting my fiance.. At the US Airport a Customs Officer wanted to check my luggage.. When she noticed in my Customs form that i was returning from an arab country she asked me the purpose of my trip.. I replied that I went to visit my fiance and his family.. Since then she started to ask about our relationship, she wanted to know every detail: How we met, what kind of job we have, our religions, if both family accepts this relationship, about my K1 file,everything...

I know that Customs n Borders P. job is to make sure ppl is bringing back lawful stuff.. But asking me with prejudice about him only cuz he's ARAB was not nice.. For a moment I felt it was me being interviewd for the fiancee visa.. She said that all arabs marry americans just for papers and once they get em they file for divorce.. Also she said that he cant marry me cuz I have a different religion.. She's so wrong.. "Are you converting to his religion?" she asked, I said :"No, we respect each others religion".. She said also that im responsible for whatever my fiance could try to do here.. I replied that: "He's a dedicated man, he studied hard to get his degree at the University and after graduating he has been working in the same place(11 years ago), also for the file he got his police record which is completely clean".. But nothing I was replying pleased her.. She also told me in a sarcastic way if i knew Cinderella's story.. I said " Of course i know her story" then she said " that story doesnt exist"..

Its really sad how this ppl treat filers like me.. At the end she asked me to write down my fiance's name on the Customs Form.. what for??? Im not sure.. and thats why im sharing my story with you.. My concern is if she can access their system and write something so when he's finally able to come to the US will be rejected at the Port of Entrance..

Thx to those of you who could give me an advice..

You said "I know that Customs n Borders P. job is to make sure ppl is bringing back lawful stuff." This is false. This is a great website for information, however, a lot of answers on here are true and a lot not true. But I know that everyone here is just trying to help each others; and of course no on is perfect. An officer has every right to ask you all those questions mentioned above, "How we met, what kind of job we have, our religions, if both family accepts this relationship, about my K1 file,everything." That is part of the job. In case you don't know customs officers and immigration officers are the same. They are trained to do both. That officer doesn't know who you are. Sure, you could be telling the truth, but a smuggler would try to do the same. Put yourself in her shoes. If someone come to your house and say he knows your son, uncle aunt, and so on, do you believe them without questioning the person??? Can you trust everyone to tell you the truth?

Now, if the officer disrespects you then ask to speak to a supervisor. Then ask for a complaint form. Believe it or not professionalism is important and they do investigate on complaints. They must talk to you respectfully. Interviewing to intercept potential "bad guys" is part of the game. Do not confuse that with being disrespectful. Good luck. Go to their official website and read up before you travel. Know your rights! Do not assume! Good luck...

Edited by CBP-SRT

OP, I sympathize. I didn't have nearly as bad an experience as you, but I was still questioned more than the norm at the US border when I returned from visiting my UKC fiance (at the time).

"Why do you keep going to the UK?"

"I'm visiting my fiance."

"Why isn't he here already?"

"We've applied for a K1 fiance visa and are waiting for it to be approved."

"Well, you know what they say about those K1 visas?"

"?"

"They only come here to get a green card and then leave you."

"..." (honestly, what the heck was I supposed to be say to that??)

*STAMP* and then I'm let through. I really wish I had the presence of mind to get his name so I could report him at the time.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Timeline

http://www.aclu.org/...kyr_english.pdf

Know your rights

Check section V

Edited by Golden Gate

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014

Timeline

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.