Sah213

Concerned after being over questioned at the airport

50 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Iran
Timeline

oh my god ! thats so mean such a terrible experience iam so sorry , i think all the officers, where ever they are working and who ever they are working with they should be nice and respecting , <div>iam iranian and my fiance always tells me that americans and not only americans but all human have rights and no one can behave them in a discriminating way . </div><div>unfortunately  some people are so judging and they do not understand the story and situation of girls or boys who fall in love with someone who lives in another country . </div><div>no matter where your man or my fiance or I live , we are all human and should be respected . if on my way to america an officer like this starts disrespecting me that way me and my fiance definitely </div><div>take an action and report her . iam iranian and middle eastern so what ? does it make me less than another person ? </div><div><br></div>

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Sorry that happened. You clearly encountered one of those people who have very limited understanding of other cultures and very complex social problems, and she simply thought that her already skewed beliefs applied to your individual situation. I would absolutely write a letter and forward it to a few news organizations and politicians, as has been suggested. When I came back from Uzbekistan, an officer asked me in a very pointed way why I'd gone. Fortunately, your experience seems to not be very common.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

sorry about such an awful for a heart in love experience.

But what one would expect since they are determined tht ones made 9/11 were from MENA countries legalized through marriage to USC...

Thx.. I understand that they are though specially with MENA countries but it doesnt mean that all these ppl are always extremists.. There are extremists all over the world.. I dont want to mention specific countries but I read on the news that sadly this happens everywhere.. If you remember that terrible 9.11 ,some of them got here through STUDENT VISA.. They were learning how to pilot planes here in our nation.. Not through marriage..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

But what was the purpose of her questioning? a lecture? make you change your mind? or not let you pass through immigration (I figure you're a US Citizen, therefore she obviously couldn't do that).

Believe me it was hard for me.. I felt discriminated n offended.. I was coming back so happy after being with my fiance n his family.. N this officer ruined my day.. She works at LAX Airport.. N she was commenting also with other 2 officers that were passing by her counter.. She was spreading the word to everybody else around.. SO another officer started asking me same questions.. Wasnt just 1 enough??? Of course this is just IGNORANCE.. I replied honestly to everything cuz this relationship is clear as water n well, my K1 file is very important to me.. Besides they have all our information already.. If they want to be though on ppl at LEAST they should read before getting on us (americans, residents or visitors).. Obviously she ignores the fact that many arab countries participate on the Diversity Lottery Visa.. If my country would think like her, believe me that program wouldnt exist...

Thx for taking part of your time to reply.. N yes, im considering to file a report.. I dont want her to treat somebody else like she did to me..

I truely wish you luck and please do not let that woman get to you. You know your relationship and you know what is real, don't let anyone tell you different.

12-27-2010: I-129F arrived at USCIS sent packet on 12/23

12-29-2010: Notice date on NOA1

12-31-2010: Check cleared

01-02-2011: NOA1 received via SMS & E-Mail

01-06-2011: NOA1 hardcopy received via USPS[/color]

2-17-2011:Touched

04/12/2011:NOA2!!!!!

4-18-11: Received by NVC

4-20-11: Left NVC

4-24-11: Received by the consulate in Abu Dhabi

4-27-11:Received both packet 3 & 4 via e-mail from Abu Dhabi

7-25-11:Interview date-Administrative Processing

8-3-11:Administrative Processing ended - APPROVED!!!!!! :D

8-25-11:POE-SFO

9-10-11:Married!!!

9-26-11:Sent AOS Packet

10-6-11:Received NOA1s via text and E-mail

10-9-11:NOA1 hardcopies received, along with biometrics appointment letter

10-25-11:Biometrics Appointment

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

But what was the purpose of her questioning? a lecture? make you change your mind? or not let you pass through immigration (I figure you're a US Citizen, therefore she obviously couldn't do that).

I wish I'd know what was her purpose.. Im not sure if she just wanted to verify my info.. N yes im a US Citizen..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Dont say that.. I know its difficult but I dont think like you.. For me what really matters is to never give up on my relationship. I know we'll find ppl with prejudice everywhere, but our families and friends support us, and thats what is most important, we'll go on.. And here is not about being a First class citizen or second class.. Thats not the point.. We all deserve to be treated fairly n professionally, as long as you are honest n you are doing everything legally..

Obvisouly you are a WHITE woman to speak with such a lack of understanding on how it feels to be treated unfairly in this country to the point you felt harrashed in the airport. BOO HOO. My people face that eveyday riding down the streets in their BMW's that they bust their a** for and are highly educated and still get harrassed. I get harrassed in our airports all the time. So your family being supportive don't have a darn thing to do with how this country is. Please let's keep it real and get your head out your butt and come into reality.

إله الخير المغرب بلد جميل! Hasbunallah wa ni'am al-wakil Tawkkalna Alay Allah

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline

Hah, interesting discussion.

That sounds like an individual officer's bad mood. When I returned from Kyrgyzstan I got the raised eyebrow and the "what were you doing over there?" question but when I said I was visiting my fiancee it provoked no further questioning. I returned from Japan once and got a barrage of questions about what I was doing there, how I funded it, all the different places I visited, where I resided, what contacts I had there etc.

That was an unfortunate response you got but don't let it get to you! You know your relationship and your significant other.

This recently happened to me coming back home from visiting my fiancee in Panama,Central America... on 4/21/2011...

Im a US CITIZEN and as i was going thru customs check point at the Orlando int. airport, they told me they had more questions "for me in the back" and to follow him... So they took me around and the custom guy sends me to the wrong damn baggage claim to pick up my bag so i waste 20 mins there until i find out from someone its not COPA AIRLINES.. THATS WHEN I GOT PISSED...

i found my bag finally and i looked bag and now the lines were LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG, so i complained to another customs guy ad told him my situation about my passport being taken at customs and was told to meet them in the back..So thank god, i skipped those lines,,Once i got there, the guy wanted to check my bags and one of the women there were pretty rude!..anyways the guy checked my whole bag and asked me questions about where i work,how much money do i bring with me, why i went to panama, how long i know my fiancee, how often i go to panama..I told him straight up that Im a Us citizen, my fiancee is in panama, i filed a k1 visa for her to come to the USA and in the meantime i go visit her cause i miss her.. BUTTTTT THEY SHOULD KNOW THAT< THEY ARE THE GOVT!..he didnt say much after that..just asked me basic questions here and there,,asked me if i would go back once she comes here, i said, "YEAH< OFCOURSE, HER FAMILY IS STILL THERE" AND ITS A AMAZING PLACE TO GO VISIT!..my vacation destination for yrs to come.. Then once he got done checking my bag i made a joke about a "sex pill" i had and he asked me if its any good and i told him its recalled AKA BANNED. he asked why and i just told him CAUSE IT WORKS! lol.. he just laughed and sent me on my way, thanked me for my patience... they also held my brother for 1 hour and my parents missed there flight and had to come a shuttle bus,,,i think they cracking down on MUSLIMS!

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Advice? Always be honest. They do not have to be nice. If you are expecting nice people in this process you will be disappointed.

They don't have to be nice, but they do have to stay within the law. Offering their opinion about someone's relationship based on zero data is preposterous. Its not as though she has seen the case file. I would definitely report this woman.

I-129F Fiance Visa

For full details see my "About me"

USCIS

11-22-2010 Received NOA1 01-27-2011 --> NOA2 *APPROVED!!!! (email)

NVC

02-24-2011 Receive Packet 3.5 via email --> 03-18-2011 Packet 3.5 Submitted

04-05-2011 Receive Packet 4

04-08-2011 INTERVIEW *APPROVED!!!!* --> 04-18-2011 Visa in hand

05-04-2011 **POE** JFK, NYC

AOS

05-21-2011 Social Security Card

06-18-2011 MARRIED!

07-11-2011 Filed AOS - 485, EAD, AP

07-13-2011 Received Confirmation email 07-14-2011 check cashed

07-18-2011 NOA1, I-797C received for AOS, EAD, AP

07-22-2011 Received Biometrics Appointment Notice

08-15-2011 Biometrics Appointment

09-09-2011 EAD and AP Approval notices via email

09-20-2011 Receive EAD/AP Card in the mail

09-29-2011 Interview! APPROVED!!!!

10-03-2011 Receive Welcome Letter

10-08-2011 Receive Greencard

A similar thing happened to me when I was returning from Vietnam one time. So it's not just a MENA thing. The questioning can be tough to see if the story changes.

My rights weren't violated and I didn't feel offended. I was more worried about making my connecting flight.

Had it happen to me when returning from the Philippines to see my soon to be wife too (I'm a USC).... They gave me the third degree all about my (then) finance, how old she was, how did we meet, then the officer ended by telling me that she probably just wants to marry me to get a visa and bring her family over here. He said that's what most of them do!

I just blew it off...at least it looks like it's not discrimination.

ROC

06/15/2013 - I-751 Sent

06/19/2013 - NOA 1

07/17/2013 - Biometrics

08/19/2013 - Case transferred from VSC to CSC

09/17/2013 - Approved!

09/23/2013 - Received approval notice.

10/09/2013 - Card received. Fini!

N400

12/18/2017 - N400 submitted

12/19/2017 - NOA

01/09/2018 - Biometrics

04/10/2018 - Interview

04/27/2018 - Oath

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Wow. That's ridiculous. I was stopped and questioned the same way when coming back from Bogota one time. They searched every little thing in my bag (looking for cocain probably :( ) and asked so many questions! They weren't quite so personal or demeaning as they were with you, but I know that horrible feeling :(

Daniel & Laura

NOA1 Received: 10-15-10

Contacted Congressmen: 3-15-10

Contacted Congressmen again and got approval: 4-13-10

Contacted VSC (2nd tier) to confirm approval: 4-14-10

NOA2 Received: 4-15-10 (182 days from NOA1)

Arrived at NVC, new case # assigned: 4-19-11

Left NVC: 4-20-11

Arrives at BOG consulate: 4-27-11

Package 3 forms sent: 4-27-11

Interview: 6-16-11 APPROVED!!!!!

Picked up visa/passport at DOMESA: 6-22-11

Daniel comes to the USA: 7-5-11

OUR WEDDING DAY!!! 7-22-11

Mailed AOS documents: 8-29-11

AOS received in Chicago: 8-30-11

NOA1 received: 9-2-11

I797c appointment notice received: 9-12-11

Biometrics appointment: 9-26-11

Transfered to CSC 10-5-11

I-765 approved 11-5-11

Received EAD 11-17-11

Called USCIS to get update...CSC working June cases 1/12

Called USCIS for "service request" 2/12

Called USCIS for results...CSC working December cases 3-13-12

Contacted Congressman 3-22-12

AOS APPROVED!! 3-23-12

GREEN CARD RECEIVED!!! 3-27-12

event.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I had the same thing happen to me they knew about 2 previous K-1 petitions I filed and withdrew. I was searched and interrogated for about an hour. I was asked the same questions over and over. I was asked to write down everything I knew about my wife, I said tell me what you want to know? Name birth date? What? He said just write some stuff down. So I did. He then waited a while and asked me her birth date which I wrote down. He was entering lots of stuff in the computer as I was talking. I hope it helps my wife pass her interview. He had lots of questions for me. I remained calm and was more than willing to cooperate. What else can you do? No you not the only one this happens to.

My wife is from the Philippines. Back in November I went and visited her because she was still waiting on her Visa to come to the USA and it had been six months since we were last together. I went through the same type of questioning but the guy was polite. They searched my luggage and he went through some of my papers that I needed to send to the NVC. Once he saw my wife and I together in a photo, he stopped and let me go. I was very uncomfortable about it but had nothing to hide. They made me feel like a criminal. Not a good feeling.

I can't imagine what the questioning must be like when it is a woman that had just come from seeing her fiancee in another country.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Customs officer enjoy exercising the power that they have in detaining you as long as they want. They can be real jerks. I had to wait for an hour in the line to have my personnel possessions searched. I know a lot of other men that were also waiting in line were very uupset because they were concerned about missing their connecting flight. The custom officers could care less about you missing your next flight. Fortunately for me, my layover in Detroit airport was about 5 hours.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: China
Timeline

At the end he did tell me this should help my wife pass her interview. They make it feel like you broke the law visiting your SO. I don't know what all he entered into the computer there was lots of typing going on. I guess it's tied into the NVC computers. I forget about that I hope it does help her pass her interview. Lots of questions though about why I wanted a younger wife what happened to the other 2 petitions why did I withdraw them. He told me they were looking for visa fraud. Asked me if anyone had given me money to travel or bought my plane tickets. It was very interesting I was pretty nervous I had no idea what was going on until he told me. May 9th and 10th is her interview I'll be reporting back the results for sure. I am quite nervous about that.

Edited by Shenzhen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.