Sah213

Concerned after being over questioned at the airport

50 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi VJ community! Recently I returned of visiting my fiance.. At the US Airport a Customs Officer wanted to check my luggage.. When she noticed in my Customs form that i was returning from an arab country she asked me the purpose of my trip.. I replied that I went to visit my fiance and his family.. Since then she started to ask about our relationship, she wanted to know every detail: How we met, what kind of job we have, our religions, if both family accepts this relationship, about my K1 file,everything...

I know that Customs n Borders P. job is to make sure ppl is bringing back lawful stuff.. But asking me with prejudice about him only cuz he's ARAB was not nice.. For a moment I felt it was me being interviewd for the fiancee visa.. She said that all arabs marry americans just for papers and once they get em they file for divorce.. Also she said that he cant marry me cuz I have a different religion.. She's so wrong.. "Are you converting to his religion?" she asked, I said :"No, we respect each others religion".. She said also that im responsible for whatever my fiance could try to do here.. I replied that: "He's a dedicated man, he studied hard to get his degree at the University and after graduating he has been working in the same place(11 years ago), also for the file he got his police record which is completely clean".. But nothing I was replying pleased her.. She also told me in a sarcastic way if i knew Cinderella's story.. I said " Of course i know her story" then she said " that story doesnt exist"..

Its really sad how this ppl treat filers like me.. At the end she asked me to write down my fiance's name on the Customs Form.. what for??? Im not sure.. and thats why im sharing my story with you.. My concern is if she can access their system and write something so when he's finally able to come to the US will be rejected at the Port of Entrance..

Thx to those of you who could give me an advice..

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

they got into your head real quick.. ! but they have access to their systems ofcourse.. she can always make a note but not the leading factor based on the questions asked.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

That is horrible!!!! I am soooo sorry you had that experience. Ignorance is all I can say! Ignorance! Please do not let that lady get to you. She's probably just mad because that happened to her or something. Geeeeeez! Even if she does make a note in their system, I doubt he would be denied entry based on her comments. If I were you I would call and file a complaint about that woman. We are Americans and we have rights and that was a violation of your rights in my opinion. That woman had no right to ask you anything other than why you went there. Giving her opinions to you was not and is not necessary. And by the way what airport was this?

12-27-2010: I-129F arrived at USCIS sent packet on 12/23

12-29-2010: Notice date on NOA1

12-31-2010: Check cleared

01-02-2011: NOA1 received via SMS & E-Mail

01-06-2011: NOA1 hardcopy received via USPS[/color]

2-17-2011:Touched

04/12/2011:NOA2!!!!!

4-18-11: Received by NVC

4-20-11: Left NVC

4-24-11: Received by the consulate in Abu Dhabi

4-27-11:Received both packet 3 & 4 via e-mail from Abu Dhabi

7-25-11:Interview date-Administrative Processing

8-3-11:Administrative Processing ended - APPROVED!!!!!! :D

8-25-11:POE-SFO

9-10-11:Married!!!

9-26-11:Sent AOS Packet

10-6-11:Received NOA1s via text and E-mail

10-9-11:NOA1 hardcopies received, along with biometrics appointment letter

10-25-11:Biometrics Appointment

event.png

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

A similar thing happened to me when I was returning from Vietnam one time. So it's not just a MENA thing. The questioning can be tough to see if the story changes.

My rights weren't violated and I didn't feel offended. I was more worried about making my connecting flight.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Wow, what a horrible story, but I bet this kind of thing happens allot. Its obviously your decision, but you might want to file a complaint, if she did it to you she is probably doing it to other people.

My Timeline

Dec 2008: Met my baby

Dec-July: Spend a million dollars on phone calls :)

July 2009: Visit to Havana

February-March 2010: Live together for the first time

April-December: Emails and texts and chats oh my !

January-March 2011: Together again ! Sooooo happy

November 2011: Went to Havana for the interview and we were approved ! Now on the the carta blanca

________

K-1 Visa:

03-24-2011: File I-129F

03-28-2011: NOA1

03-30-2011: Touch

04-22-2011: NOA2

04-29-2011: Case Forwarded to Havana

04-19-2011: My fiance received packet 3

11-01-2011: Interview Appointment. Approved!!!

11-02-2011: Received Visa

04-25-2012: Arrival in LA Airport!!!

06-08-2012: Married!!!

Adjustment of Status:

07-24-2012: Mailed AOS papers along with AP and EAD

Timeline

That is horrible!!!! I am soooo sorry you had that experience. Ignorance is all I can say! Ignorance! Please do not let that lady get to you. She's probably just mad because that happened to her or something. Geeeeeez! Even if she does make a note in their system, I doubt he would be denied entry based on her comments. If I were you I would call and file a complaint about that woman. We are Americans and we have rights and that was a violation of your rights in my opinion. That woman had no right to ask you anything other than why you went there. Giving her opinions to you was not and is not necessary. And by the way what airport was this?

Believe me it was hard for me.. I felt discriminated n offended.. I was coming back so happy after being with my fiance n his family.. N this officer ruined my day.. She works at LAX Airport.. N she was commenting also with other 2 officers that were passing by her counter.. She was spreading the word to everybody else around.. SO another officer started asking me same questions.. Wasnt just 1 enough??? Of course this is just IGNORANCE.. I replied honestly to everything cuz this relationship is clear as water n well, my K1 file is very important to me.. Besides they have all our information already.. If they want to be though on ppl at LEAST they should read before getting on us (americans, residents or visitors).. Obviously she ignores the fact that many arab countries participate on the Diversity Lottery Visa.. If my country would think like her, believe me that program wouldnt exist...

Thx for taking part of your time to reply.. N yes, im considering to file a report.. I dont want her to treat somebody else like she did to me..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

That is just plain horrible I`m sorry you had to go through that its unfortunate how there are lots of ignorance within our own country. I just recently came back from visiting my fiance in Pakistan and the only question that I`ve been asked is how long I was there other than that no other questioning so its quite obvious that this lady was only interested in ruining your day and giving out dumb opinions. File a complaint her actions are plainly unacceptable.

Timeline

Im sorry for that.

My fiance wasnt questionned when he returned from Algeria, but they took away fruits(dattes that we offred him..)...

Good luck!

Thx.. I've been in Algeria before and nothing of this happened until now.. Its really disappointing.. Its basically the way this officer behaves.. I;ve travelled before n never been so questionned like on this occasion.. I declared that i was carrying fruit thats why they checked my luggage.. I understand that they have make sure what kind of food u are bringing but to criticize my relationship its not her duty!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi VJ community! Recently I returned of visiting my fiance.. At the US Airport a Customs Officer wanted to check my luggage.. When she noticed in my Customs form that i was returning from an arab country she asked me the purpose of my trip.. I replied that I went to visit my fiance and his family.. Since then she started to ask about our relationship, she wanted to know every detail: How we met, what kind of job we have, our religions, if both family accepts this relationship, about my K1 file,everything...

I know that Customs n Borders P. job is to make sure ppl is bringing back lawful stuff.. But asking me with prejudice about him only cuz he's ARAB was not nice.. For a moment I felt it was me being interviewd for the fiancee visa.. She said that all arabs marry americans just for papers and once they get em they file for divorce.. Also she said that he cant marry me cuz I have a different religion.. She's so wrong.. "Are you converting to his religion?" she asked, I said :"No, we respect each others religion".. She said also that im responsible for whatever my fiance could try to do here.. I replied that: "He's a dedicated man, he studied hard to get his degree at the University and after graduating he has been working in the same place(11 years ago), also for the file he got his police record which is completely clean".. But nothing I was replying pleased her.. She also told me in a sarcastic way if i knew Cinderella's story.. I said " Of course i know her story" then she said " that story doesnt exist"..

Its really sad how this ppl treat filers like me.. At the end she asked me to write down my fiance's name on the Customs Form.. what for??? Im not sure.. and thats why im sharing my story with you.. My concern is if she can access their system and write something so when he's finally able to come to the US will be rejected at the Port of Entrance..

Thx to those of you who could give me an advice..

Advice? Always be honest. They do not have to be nice. If you are expecting nice people in this process you will be disappointed.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi, i had a simular exsperence in coming back from Morocco going through NEWYORK , SHE asked nothing about what i bought back, instead gave me a hard that im inlove with an Moroccan man and said i didnt love him nor he me. and asked about the K-1 process and what i am doing and where i work oh and if i have kids, it just took everything i had not to be as Rude as this women, after a 9 hour flight and missing my man..

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

I would disagree with the poster who said they don't have to be nice. Maybe so, but they do have to be professional and offering their "opinion" on your relationship is not part of their job. It's too late now, but I think you should have asked for a supervisor. They make try to make some BS excuse about needing to know your fiance's name for security purposes, but the person already demonstrated their bias and prejudice. Not sure how to go about it, but I would make an effort to find out what they put in your file, and also look in to how you report their behavior.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

sorry about such an awful for a heart in love experience.

But what one would expect since they are determined tht ones made 9/11 were from MENA countries legalized through marriage to USC...

event.png

09/13/10 - i129f sent to Texas

09/15/10 - received and signed

09/20/10 - Touched

09/23/10 - NOA1 via mail dated 09/15

10/03/10 - Touched

03/24/11 - NOA2!!! email/text on 03/29 (after 190 days)

03/29/11 - NVC received

03/31/11 - NOA2 hardcopy in mail

04/05/11 - MOS # assigned

04/12/11 - NVC left

04/15/11 - Consulate received

06/02/11 - Medical

06/03/11 - Interview (after 261 days) Approved !

06/09/11 - Visa in hand

06/10/11 - POE @ JFK

08/19/11 - Married <3 <3 <3

09/01/11 - AOS sent

09/06/11 - NOA1 for AOS packet

10/03/11 - Biometrics

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Believe me it was hard for me.. I felt discriminated n offended.. I was coming back so happy after being with my fiance n his family.. N this officer ruined my day.. She works at LAX Airport.. N she was commenting also with other 2 officers that were passing by her counter.. She was spreading the word to everybody else around.. SO another officer started asking me same questions.. Wasnt just 1 enough??? Of course this is just IGNORANCE.. I replied honestly to everything cuz this relationship is clear as water n well, my K1 file is very important to me.. Besides they have all our information already.. If they want to be though on ppl at LEAST they should read before getting on us (americans, residents or visitors).. Obviously she ignores the fact that many arab countries participate on the Diversity Lottery Visa.. If my country would think like her, believe me that program wouldnt exist...

Thx for taking part of your time to reply.. N yes, im considering to file a report.. I dont want her to treat somebody else like she did to me..

Its true they dont have to be nice. They do have to restrain themselves. I some of what the officer said is simply offensive & wrong. I wouldnt waste time complaining to the people that trained them. Send a transcript of the conversation to every Chicano politician in the LA area. If it were one of them the people would be on TV waving the signs.

Too bad you didnt tell the story teller you understood Cinderella but couldnt relate because she should know Algerians dont wear shoes. Dont let this go without responce because she will continue until stopped.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.