FormerlyKnownAs

Conversion as related to visa approval...

111 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

So I read something in a thread today and it raised a question in my mind... Another member mentioned that converting to Islam while knowing your SO is a red flag. I am just wondering, of those of you who have gotten both approvals and denials, how many of you ladies converted to Islam over the course of time you knew your MENA SO? If you don't mind sharing, that is. Thanks all, just very curious about this topic. I'd never have really viewed it as a red flag since I suppose I'm a little more liberal minded about the "freedom of religion" thing in our country.

** I just want to say that I realize this is a sensitive topic and I hope I won't ruffle too many feathers. I would really appreciate VJers biting their fingers and resisting flaming in this thread. I find this a valid topic for discussion in the regional forum since it seems to impact visa approvals for MENA filers. If you have negative feelings regarding any portion of what I'm asking about, please move along. Thank you.

Edited by LongRoadHome

Passing harsh judgment on those you don't know says nothing of the judged and everything of the judge.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

My apologies if I come across as devoid of common sense, Betsy. I can assure you that I am not. I never said I don't know *why* they would view it as a red flag, I simply asserted that *I* would never have viewed it as a red flag. I guess I buck the American stereotype there, however I completely understand that immigration approval is all about stereotypes. Just asking about various personal experiences with this situation from those who don't mind sharing. I know I have read some bits and pieces here and there about difference of religion, I was just hoping to get them all in one thread.

Well, that's kind of what I was thinking Sam. So pretty much, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't... Just don't date outside your religion? I guess that's an option.

Passing harsh judgment on those you don't know says nothing of the judged and everything of the judge.

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

This might offend a few, but here goes:

Conversion during filing is a red flag as it shows potential desperation by the petitioner. The petitioner is seen as weak and able to be manipulated. Thus, a CO is concerned that the petitioner is being preyed upon by the beneficiary for a green card and is willing to do whatever the beneficiary wants.

Conversion prior to the relationship is fine; the similarity was already there.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I also don't think they would put much weight into it. If one or the other spouse was exceptionally religious and married outside of their religion then I can see how the CO (esp if the beneficiary fits this mold) would be suspect that the intentions of the relationship are not good.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

topic title spelling corrected.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hello :) URE TOPIC IS REALLY RELEVANT TO ME

I just read youre topic, and felt the need to Give my opinion. (maybe not all will agree ..but this how i see the things..)

Since few days i started reading almost all postings here (about the visa, the process , the issues. interview........) just to understand how to deal in my process with the differences that I do have with my Fiancé.

I'm a very liberal person (in my mind regarding the religion), im Muslim and my future husband is not.....Some will stop here and will say: hey, following Islam ure not allowed to marry a man that's not unless he convert...!..im okay : i know about it, and i honestly dont agree with it, and maybe this why im more not really practicing...All those stuff are my belief and I respect the ones that don't agree with me...

I think, if my relationship with my fiancé is working that way, and he we have nothing to hide...my parents don't really or fully practise..so...im sure (i hope) that the embassy will just question this matter ,and i hope that they will understand regarding my family and friends history and practices that its common and fine. Unless im sure i will be in trouble!!

I already asked this question on my topic,few days ago: what do the people think: if my fiancé get converted before the interview....!!!

As at today its really clear in my mind, that this not at all a very good idea: cause it just shows to the Embassy Co, that my fiancé felt the need to convert just to please, the Co point of view, maybe my culture and the Algerian Gov (that's Muslim...) unless of choosing this religion because he felt the need, after making research ,all reflection that can lead to a human to change his belief for an other and im sure that this will right away lead to a denial..cause as Staashi said: the Fiancé will look: weak and able to be manipulated !!........

The fact, if u have diffrent religion and accept it and can live together with it, its better to stay as u are, not change some factors on ure relationship in purpose to please the Co of the embassy..this will not work at all!

Best of luck for all of us.(F)

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well, I converted 2.5 years ago. This was after we were married but prior to AOS. My husband lucked out and didn't get an interview for AOS and was never asked a question like this for his K1 interview. It is also something that is very private for us and we don't wear our religion so I'm sure with him they would assume what religion he is but with myself they would never know unless we were asked.

Filed: Timeline

So I read something in a thread today and it raised a question in my mind... Another member mentioned that converting to Islam while knowing your SO is a red flag. I am just wondering, of those of you who have gotten both approvals and denials, how many of you ladies converted to Islam over the course of time you knew your MENA SO? If you don't mind sharing, that is. Thanks all, just very curious about this topic. I'd never have really viewed it as a red flag since I suppose I'm a little more liberal minded about the "freedom of religion" thing in our country.

** I just want to say that I realize this is a sensitive topic and I hope I won't ruffle too many feathers. I would really appreciate VJers biting their fingers and resisting flaming in this thread. I find this a valid topic for discussion in the regional forum since it seems to impact visa approvals for MENA filers. If you have negative feelings regarding any portion of what I'm asking about, please move along. Thank you.

I dont think most of the people reverting or converting even really understand the religion they are changing to. In my opinion, they may have had a bad experience in church or their longing for love and companionship overrides their dedication to the church they grew up with or there is something else dysfunctional going on and the rigidity of Islam appeals to them. I think if most had to live under sharia law, we would see alot fewer conversion. I think its more cupid conversion than anything else. I have seen a couple of religious reverts on here umm I cant remember her last name who is actively involved in the masjid and really understands what they took on but I dont think most do. I think its especially hard on the women who later get left by the man they converted or excuse me reverted for and its very confusing for the kids, the immediate families and everyone involved. Islam has alot of conditions, hijab is fard and you really cant jump in and out of it and honestly , I dont think most of the reversions I have witnessed over the last 10 years, although they seem sincere at the time, are real. I think most are to please the guy or on a whim, with most of the women I have met knowing very very very little about what they were even going into. Flame if you want, I have been around this neighborhood since December of 2001 and I think most are just for the relationship

I dont think most of the people reverting or converting even really understand the religion they are changing to. In my opinion, they may have had a bad experience in church or their longing for love and companionship overrides their dedication to the church they grew up with or there is something else dysfunctional going on and the rigidity of Islam appeals to them. I think if most had to live under sharia law, we would see alot fewer conversion. I think its more cupid conversion than anything else. I have seen a couple of religious reverts on here umm I cant remember her last name who is actively involved in the masjid and really understands what they took on but I dont think most do. I think its especially hard on the women who later get left by the man they converted or excuse me reverted for and its very confusing for the kids, the immediate families and everyone involved. Islam has alot of conditions, hijab is fard and you really cant jump in and out of it and honestly , I dont think most of the reversions I have witnessed over the last 10 years, although they seem sincere at the time, are real. I think most are to please the guy or on a whim, with most of the women I have met knowing very very very little about what they were even going into. Flame if you want, I have been around this neighborhood since December of 2001 and I think most are just for the relationship

This is not to offend anyone. Its just my opinion and I have been around the masjids etc for over 10 years. I find most of the reverts really have no clue of what they are getting into, they have no understanding of apostasy, they have been sold some kind of lighter version of whats really involved and the relationships were the fodder to why they went and jumped in to begin with. I have met many who miss their churches, their holidays and traditions, ESPECIALLY when the relationships end after the guys get their papers and then they feel super lost because blood is alot thicker than water and unless you really wanted this and there was no relationship that inspired it, whats left for the American when things go south? The parking lot of the masjid is littered with the broken hearts of women who reverted to please men and not for their own reasons... I feel this very strongly and if you did it for you and you wont leave it when your marriage goes south, then good for you but thats not what I have watched or seen,,

I also feel that if a relgious muslim doesnt insist on the western woman reverting , most likely its just for papers anyway. I dont know a religious muslim who would marry a non muslim anyway, especially if kids are on the way...I think if they are willing to do it, they want a greencard and not much else. Religion is very important to mena men as far as I see.

This is not to offend anyone. Its just my opinion and I have been around the masjids etc for over 10 years. I find most of the reverts really have no clue of what they are getting into, they have no understanding of apostasy, they have been sold some kind of lighter version of whats really involved and the relationships were the fodder to why they went and jumped in to begin with. I have met many who miss their churches, their holidays and traditions, ESPECIALLY when the relationships end after the guys get their papers and then they feel super lost because blood is alot thicker than water and unless you really wanted this and there was no relationship that inspired it, whats left for the American when things go south? The parking lot of the masjid is littered with the broken hearts of women who reverted to please men and not for their own reasons... I feel this very strongly and if you did it for you and you wont leave it when your marriage goes south, then good for you but thats not what I have watched or seen,,

I also feel that if a relgious muslim doesnt insist on the western woman reverting , most likely its just for papers anyway. I dont know a religious muslim who would marry a non muslim anyway, especially if kids are on the way...I think if they are willing to do it, they want a greencard and not much else. Religion is very important to mena men as far as I see.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.