Captain Ewok

Direct Consular Filing Explained

53 posts in this topic

Hi all! Anyone from here tried DCF in Manila, Philippines when the USC is only on an extended tourist visa?

Another question: should it be a continuous residence in the place for six months? In our case, my hubby (USC) stayed here in the Philippines since July 2012 until the present but we went on a tour for two weeks last Sept 2012 and hubby also left for the US for 3 weeks in Nov 2012.

Thanks for the replies! All your insights are greatly appreciated :)

Hi. I am so glad I found your post. My husband and I are in the same situation. We lived in Serbia for three years (he is a US citizen), got married in August, wanted to do DCF, but Embassy in Belgrade said we had to file i130 to Chicago Lockbox. So we did in September and my husband moved back to New York in October (so he would be able to prove he is domicile in the US). Could you update me on your case? We haven't received any news since they received our petition on September 14. We also filed i129f for K3, as we thought it would be faster, but haven't heard about it either. Anyway, how can an Embassy refuse to do DCF if it is still a valid option? I guess that can happen only in Serbia :bonk:

Dearest Izabela,

I'm glad that someone replied on my post to be honest!!! I was starting to think no one would! Its been a couple months since i posted it, I know a lot more now than I did then! They told me the same thing at the embassy!! To send it to Chicago, but at the time I didn't.. I can't believe you didn't get a reply! Well here is what I found out: Not only can you not do the DCF but it DOESN'T EVEN EXIST FORE YEARS NOW!!!!! I found this out through a Immigration Lady I found that lives in Wisconsin! ... If you do want her number I have it to give to you, she has helped me out soooo much, Her name is Jadranka B.! Not only did I not have money for a lawyer but I at the time didn't have money for the visa! Now everything is different, and today I called her to get the frist part of the Visa out of the way. She dose everything for you, fills it out, send it to you, Tells you what you need, explains it, everything! For only like 200$! It feels good to finally know what i'm doing! Here is my email if you need anything JessicaAngelinaBalaban@yahoo.com

Veliki pozdrav iz Chicago! (L)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

Dearest Izabela,

I'm glad that someone replied on my post to be honest!!! I was starting to think no one would! Its been a couple months since i posted it, I know a lot more now than I did then! They told me the same thing at the embassy!! To send it to Chicago, but at the time I didn't.. I can't believe you didn't get a reply! Well here is what I found out: Not only can you not do the DCF but it DOESN'T EVEN EXIST FORE YEARS NOW!!!!! I found this out through a Immigration Lady I found that lives in Wisconsin! ... If you do want her number I have it to give to you, she has helped me out soooo much, Her name is Jadranka B.! Not only did I not have money for a lawyer but I at the time didn't have money for the visa! Now everything is different, and today I called her to get the frist part of the Visa out of the way. She dose everything for you, fills it out, send it to you, Tells you what you need, explains it, everything! For only like 200$! It feels good to finally know what i'm doing! Here is my email if you need anything JessicaAngelinaBalaban@yahoo.com

Veliki pozdrav iz Chicago! (L)

I have already filled everything out and sent it to USCIS, now I'm just waiting for them to approve the petition... But thanks for the help anyway :star:

Pozdrav još uvek iz Srbije, but hopefully uskoro iz Njujorka :bonk:

USCIS

09/14/2013 - NOA1

04/22/2013 - NOA2

NVC

04/23/2013 - NVC received case

04/29/2013 - case number and IIN

04/29/2013 - DS3032 sent

05/09/2013 - AOS bill generated and paid

05/10/2013 - AOS bill appears as PAID

05/13/2013 - AOS package sent

05/16/2013 - DS3032 accepted

05/16/2013 - AOS bill changes from PAID to NOT PAID! #######?! AOS bill paid again upon NVC rep's advice

05/20/2013 - IV bill generated and paid

05/20/2013 - IV package sent

06/12/2013 - case complete, woohoo smile.png

07/15/2013 - interview scheduled

08/06/2013 - interview

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

DCF is not "unofficial". The process requires that you file an I130 petition for your spouse just like you would if you lived in the US.

In our case we skipped USCIS processing in the US (the I130 was processed at the Embassy) and we skipped the NVC step (we sent the I864 to the embassy with the medical and other packer IV paperwork).

Otherwise the documents and filing process are the same.

You are only eligible to file it if you legally reside overseas. In most countries the first thing they ask for is your resident card (or equivalent)

There may be countries that accept a tourist visa but I never heard of one.

From what I have read Peru accepts you if you are here on a tourist visa!

You will need to show that you were not required to file taxes. You otherwise either need to show 3X the required income in assets for your household size or get a co-sponsor to file an I864 on your husband's behalf.

I have been living in Argentina for over 5 years now. I do not have residency since I always leave every 3 months and get a new tourist visa. Can I apply for DCF?

• 2 months later...

I sent my application to the states not realising I could do DCF at the London embassy. I got notice that my package was received on the 13th of June. Do you think it's possible to cancel it and do DCF? Does anyone know on average how much faster DCF is?

2013-22-05: Sent I-130 to Chicago Lockbox

2013-10-06: NOA1 received - Petition at Overland Park, Kansas

2013-11-12: Email stating our I-130 has been transferred to a local USCIS Office

2013-13-12: Email stating our I-130 was transferred and is now being processed at a USCIS office

Have now decided to do DCF through the London Embassy:

2013-22-10: Overnighted a second I-130 to London

2013-24-10: NOA1

2013-21-11: Letter requesting that we cancel our I-130 petition filed in the U.S.

2013-09-12: NOA2

I sent my application to the states not realising I could do DCF at the London embassy. I got notice that my package was received on the 13th of June. Do you think it's possible to cancel it and do DCF? Does anyone know on average how much faster DCF is?

DCF in London is taking about 4-5 months total at the moment. Take a look at mine, and others' timelines:

DCF Filed just before me:

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=157192

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?cfl=&id=48240

DCF Just filed:

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=134644

DCF almost completed (interview date known):

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?cfl=&id=155606

Check regular I-130 timelines for comparison:

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/monthly_filers.php?form=2&visa=3&scenter=1&option=2&sortby=2

The processing time of the I-130 is certainly faster (seems to be taking about a month). The processing time on the embassy side is going to be about the same, but you won't be waiting for your case to go through NVC in the interim section.

You can cancel if you want, but you'll lose the money you've already paid.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Thread locked as this is a pinned topic for information only. Please create your own thread about your own case if you have questions or need information ***

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.