pinkuledi

Can I marry my undocumented first-cousin in California, US?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Why'd he stay there on a tourist visa, did his parents originally come here with them?

The post says his parents brought him here when he was 15. He stayed because his family was here ?

they've stayed here forever since then and just expect to be granted citizenship since they've lived here most of their lives, especially if they had the visa from a young age. If that was the case with so many of undocumented citizens I would've just had my meghan stay over here with me after her visa expired and just got a lawyer to work some magic. I hate being away from her for so long.

Different scenario for a child to be brought here by parents while still a minor vs an adult bringing someone here with the intent to immigrate and evading immigration law. I am sure he is not thrilled his parents put him in an untenable situation.

People's identities get stolen a lot by undocumented aliens and that's how they're able to live and work over here without a hassle. Usually the identity that gets stolen is from a dead child who never got to live a life past the age of 3. -Travis

Travis, try not to read so much of Sherrif Joes hype. Identities are most often stolen by a family member because someone has bad credit.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Travis and Meghan, on 31 March 2011 - 05:51 AM, said:

" Why'd he stay there on a tourist visa, did his parents originally come here with them?

The post says his parents brought him here when he was 15. He stayed because his family was here ?

they've stayed here forever since then and just expect to be granted citizenship since they've lived here most of their lives, especially if they had the visa from a young age. If that was the case with so many of undocumented citizens I would've just had my meghan stay over here with me after her visa expired and just got a lawyer to work some magic. I hate being away from her for so long.

Different scenario for a child to be brought here by parents while still a minor vs an adult bringing someone here with the intent to immigrate and evading immigration law. I am sure he is not thrilled his parents put him in an untenable situation.

People's identities get stolen a lot by undocumented aliens and that's how they're able to live and work over here without a hassle. Usually the identity that gets stolen is from a dead child who never got to live a life past the age of 3. -Travis

Travis, try not to read so much of Sherrif Joes hype. Identities are most often stolen by a family member because someone has bad credit. "

:thumbs::rofl:

Edited by nikolacolada

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

On the one hand, are USCIS even going to know they're first cousins? USCIS asks for names and dates of births of parents, but not of grand parents. If you don't mention the blood relationship when you discuss how you met, it might not come up.

On the other hand, you will virtually certainly have an interview, and a detailed accounting of the entire timeline of your relationship could very easily come up, and if it comes up at interview after you've tried to obfuscate around it, that could be very bad.

A very sticky wicket, indeed. Either way, you're going to need a LOT of very lovey-dovey relationship proof, going back quite a long time, and even then, a USCIS interviewer who is a little bit freaked by the first-cousin thing could still deny you, and there's very little way to guard against or prevent that.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Assuming that this is not for an Immigration Benefit, I do not see a proble,.

Marry and adjust.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Timeline

It scares the living daylight out of me when people who have no clue about the process and the laws and mechanics of the immigration process give advice that is so wrong it hurts inside. I understand that you want to contribute and interact with other members, but if you are clueless, please do not post and thus confuse the original poster.

CatGirl pretty much covered it all.

There is no problem to get married as long as the young man has a valid state or government-issued ID.

There's also no problem to adjust status, as he entered with inspection over a decade ago.

The only issue that might come up is if first cousins get married. That's legal in the Golden State but illegal in other states of the union, i.e., the Lone Star State, but aside from the legality it may -- or may not -- be seen as one family member assisting another to immigrate. Nobody knows, and if the issue arises it can be overcome with documentation showing that the marriage is "real."

None of this process will require the assistance of an immigration attorney. Retaining one might provide peace of mind but will cost in most instances $2K and up, in addition to the AOS costs of $420 + $1,070 + whatever the Civil Surgeon charges for the required medical.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
It scares the living daylight out of me when people who have no clue about the process and the laws and mechanics of the immigration process give advice that is so wrong it hurts inside. I understand that you want to contribute and interact with other members, but if you are clueless, please do not post and thus confuse the original poster.

I believe people are regularly and consistently confusing adjusting from a VWP with adjusting from an overstay on other visas.

Edited by Rob and Jill

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Timeline

:thumbs:

Timeline

I believe people are regularly and consistently confusing adjusting from a VWP with adjusting from an overstay on other visas.

Oh if only that were true, it would mean they had a vague understanding of the VWP rules, but

if you read the posts on these type of situations, its usually Parroting something they read

in another thread about something quite different they didn't udnerstand either. :ot:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I think you should edit travis post, as it could give someone the wrong idea about the process, if you don't know about the process ( which is the case of a lot of people including me ) you can always send good thoughts :)

7/28/04 we met

10/ /06 started dating long distance, not fun

7/15/08 we gave birth to a beautiful baby boy

11/11/10 we got married in amazing Santa Barbara

11/17/10 mailed I 130, I 131, AP and EAD

11/25/10 package received

12/06/10 checks cashed

12/08/10 Email/ text

12/11/10 NOA hard copies in the mail

01/ /11 biometrics walk in successful in Oxnard

02/07/11 EAD in production, AP post decision activity

02/11/11 AP in hand

02/14/11 EAD in the mail!!!!!!!

02/17/11 EAD in hand + applied for SSN

04/13/11 Interview and Approval letter, card in production!!!

Thank you visa journey!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

you may want to delve deep into the forums at http://www.immigrate2us.net - they handle harder, uncommon 'things' there.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

You can adjust from a Visa Waiver Program overstay. At this time, San Diego is denying but it seems other places are doing business as usual.

The main difference is you can not appeal a VWP denial.

I believe people are confusing VWP with EWI.

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

whichever they are confusing - the lad DID enter the USA on a valid visa, and he's overstayed that valid visa.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

whichever they are confusing - the lad DID enter the USA on a valid visa, and he's overstayed that valid visa.

Yes, but that is missing the point. The overstay, no matter how long, becomes irrelevant the minute he marries a United States citizen. When he petitions for AOS because of that marriage, his overstay, whether it is 1 year, 5 years of 15 years, will be forgiven.

The possible problems with the OPs situation is the fact that this might very well be seen as a marriage for immigration purposes, and proving otherwise might be very difficult. The cousin thing might or might not make it harder, we can only speculate on that.

It is by no means impossible. The overstay is not a problem here as long as he does not occur a deportation order.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Timeline

Yes, but that is missing the point. The overstay, no matter how long, becomes irrelevant the minute he marries a United States citizen. When he petitions for AOS because of that marriage, his overstay, whether it is 1 year, 5 years of 15 years, will be forgiven.

The possible problems with the OPs situation is the fact that this might very well be seen as a marriage for immigration purposes, and proving otherwise might be very difficult. The cousin thing might or might not make it harder, we can only speculate on that.

It is by no means impossible. The overstay is not a problem here as long as he does not occur a deportation order.

Good point, they need to speak with an attorney because of the mention that his parents were denied a green card. If his parents application included him, he may have already been entered into proceedings. This could be a huge snag and should be investigated.

Edited by Sergi9

Good point, they need to speak with an attorney because of the mention that his parents were denied a green card. If his parents application included him, he may have already been entered into proceedings. This could be a huge snag and should be investigated.

Even if he has been entered into proceedings, marriage to a USC will give him the ability to adjust status.

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.