Captain Hammer

How to have a rational discussion

126 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Having spent a significant amount of time abroad, I can tell you that the partisan rancor in the US is far more prevalent than in any other Western countries. That's not to say that there aren't problems with the political process in other Western countries, but the sheer levels of vitriol between both politicians and voters in the US is unmatched anywhere else in the West. That's been my experience anyway.

I've noticed that too. It may just be an inherent part of a system that has evolved to have only two strong political parties. Seems like the easiest thing to do is make the other side look bad and then take your chances in two years.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

And you didnt invite me to help you move. You know I would of loved to help.

Got it so now I know why Rob is laughing to himself like a little kid. So your name is Duncan. Good so I got a name for you and I dont have to refer to whatever profile name you choose for the month.

So even after being back for a year your still holding on to these biased conclusions.

So now you've realised that I do in fact live in the UK and am well accustomed to the current climate in both countries - your new tactic is to suggest that... what... somehow I have some innate bias against Americans that I took with me to the US?

Why don't you admit that you find what I say uncomfortable and you take issue with it because YOU are biased. Quite blatantly too.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Having spent a significant amount of time abroad, I can tell you that the partisan rancor in the US is far more prevalent than in any other Western countries. That's not to say that there aren't problems with the political process in other Western countries, but the sheer levels of vitriol between both politicians and voters in the US is unmatched anywhere else in the West. That's been my experience anyway.

Tribalism has been around forever among humans, but those things (commonality, mutual interests) that bring down those social barriers seem to get drowned out by a media driven polarity.

So now you've realised that I do in fact live in the UK and am well accustomed to the current climate in both countries - your new tactic is to suggest that... what... somehow I have some innate bias against Americans that I took with me to the US?

Why don't you admit that you find what I say uncomfortable and you take issue with it because YOU are biased. Quite blatantly too.

Over the years Duncan I have seen your out take on a lot of issues that doesnt have to do with these two countries and this is the main reason I dont put a lot of stock in your opinions. You're not the only British person I know.

I have a soft spot for America. I try not to let this get in my way though. Now your turn, are you willing to admit you have a soft spot for Britain?

Edited by _Simpson_

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Over the years Duncan I have seen your out take on a lot of issues that doesnt have to do with these two countries and this is the main reason I dont put a lot of stock in your opinions. You're not the only British person I know.

I have a soft spot for America. I try not to let this get in my way though. Now your turn, are you willing to admit you have a soft spot for Britain?

I don't care if you put stock in my opinions or not.

I have given my opinion on what I have personally noticed living in both the US and the UK - I'm not forcing you or anyone to agree with it.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't care if you put stock in my opinions or not.

I have given my opinion on what I have personally noticed living in both the US and the UK - I'm not forcing you or anyone to agree with it.

LOL, it seems though, that by you merely posting, it compells some to respond!!! You've got decent following of groupies now fishdude :P

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

In the UK, people put all the energy for petty tribal disputes into football rivalries. In America, we put it into partisan politics.

but on the bright side, neither democrats nor republicans visiting some european country get the police out in full force like britain's soccer hooligans.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

but on the bright side, neither democrats nor republicans visiting some european country get the police out in full force like britain's soccer hooligans.

Charles, you've lived in Europe (I believe I read that somewhere), you should know that the myths about English hooligans are just that. It's the Polish/Russian hooligans that are the real thugs!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Charles, you've lived in Europe (I believe I read that somewhere), you should know that the myths about English hooligans are just that. It's the Polish/Russian hooligans that are the real thugs!!

yet guess who's making the news?

link

link note the nickname for it :lol:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!