ny123

How to obtain single status certificate in US?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Hi,

I am US citizen, my fiancee is Chinese citizen, we plan to get married in May in China. But Chinese officials need this single status certificate from me in order to issue marriage certificate in China to us.

How do I obtain this single status certificate in US? thanks a lot for any info!

Hi,

I am US citizen, my fiancee is Chinese citizen, we plan to get married in May in China. But Chinese officials need this single status certificate from me in order to issue marriage certificate in China to us.

How do I obtain this single status certificate in US? thanks a lot for any info!

Hi,

All you have to do is, as soon as you arrived in China you have to go to US Embassy to get a Legal Capacity to Marriage no requirements needed if you are bachelor except your passport but if are previously married but divorced you need an original final divorce paper.

Met my husband 2007
Officially Girlfriend and Boyfriend March 2008
Engaged/Asked permission to my family June 2008
Marriage October 2009
File I130 November 2009
File I129F November 2009

December 15,2009 CFO ( Commission on Filipinos Overseas)

Feb. 6, 2010 change passport to married name
I129F Approved February 18, 2010
I130 Approved March 9, 2010
Medical March 30 & 31, 2010 passed
Choice of Agent April 1, 2010
Interview April 12, 2010 AP reason NBI
IV FEE April 19, 2010 $400
NBI Interview May 14, 2010 written explanation
June 15, 2010 DS-230, finger scanning and swearing-in for CR1
June 17, 2010 Petition upgrade from K3 to CR1 Approved Thank you Lord
June 19, 2010 13:54 Saturday Visa in hand
July 10, 2010 Port of Entry Detroit.
July 19, 2010 Letter from POE filled out for
September 14, 2010 1st Welcome Letter from USCIS
September 17, 2010 2nd Welcome Letter from USCIS
September 20, 2010 Green Card yeheyyyy
December 22, 2010 Social Security Card
March 3, 2011 State ID
April 30, 2012 File Removal of Condition
May 5, 2012 Received and encash check
May 7, 2012 NO1 and 1 year Ext. while waiting for the approval of 10 year GC
June 4, 2012 Biometric Appointment
Jan. 31, 2013 Received Notice of RFE
Feb. 7, 2013 Sent RFE
Feb. 13, 2013 Vermont Service Received RFE
Mar. 22, 2013 RFE approved ordered reproduction of New Card
Mar. 28, 2013 Received New Card

Aug. 8, 2015 File N-400

Sept. 9, 2015 Biometric Appointment

Feb. 1, 2016 Interview

Feb. 18, 2016 Oath taking ( American Citizen Done).

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Thanks a lot, baby44.

I am contacting US consulate office in China to get more info on this.

You can get the information at one of the Chinese Embassy's ,from their website. There is one in Ny and Texas you have to use the one in your jurisdiction. You can expedite it for an extra $20.00 for each page. Your affidavit Of Single status can be found right here at VJ. It is a 1 page letter you have to type it up yourself. Have it notarized at your city, then county, and then the state seal added to it. You then mail it the China Embassy they will put the Halogram certified seal on the back of it. You take that with you to China and your good to get married. The Chinese Government has to issue the certificate. That's the way I did it.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

You can get the information at one of the Chinese Embassy's ,from their website. There is one in Ny and Texas you have to use the one in your jurisdiction. You can expedite it for an extra $20.00 for each page. Your affidavit Of Single status can be found right here at VJ. It is a 1 page letter you have to type it up yourself. Have it notarized at your city, then county, and then the state seal added to it. You then mail it the China Embassy they will put the Halogram certified seal on the back of it. You take that with you to China and your good to get married. The Chinese Government has to issue the certificate. That's the way I did it.

First, there is only one US Embassy in China, in Beijing. There are four other Cities where we have Consulates. Either the Embassy or a Consulate can issue the single status certificate. However, depending on where you're going in China, the nearest Consulate may be quite far away. A viable alternative is to use the services of visarite.com I'm not sure if they describe the affidavit of single status service on their website but you can email or call them about it. It's far cheaper and less time consuming that a plane or train ticket to the nearest US Consulate after arriving in China.

The third option is explained on any Chinese Consulate in the USA's website but is a PITA. VisaRite essentially duplicates this process as the US Citizen's agent and can do it all in as little as four days. If you use their service, you might as well get the China visa through them as well, so you only send your passport out once.

Be aware also that in some locations, Nanning for one, you'll also need Notarial translations of the divorce decrees even with documents from a US Consulate or from VisaRite. So plan on an extra day or so to obtain those locally after arriving in the city where the marriage will take place.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I got the Single Certificate here in the US. I followed all the steps of making the document, have notarized, sent to State Gov, and sent to Federal Dept of State. Took a couple of months to get. This

finished document is only good 6 months. By the time I got to China it was out of date. My girl and

I took the train to the Chengdu Consulate, got a new Single Document in a few minutes, no problem. Train

ride was great.........

April 2008 Met online ..................... March 2010.. 3 week visit......... 19 Nov...Sent DS230 & I-864

April 2009 Met in Chongqing .......... 09 March 2010 .. Marry.................17Dec...NVC lost 230 and 864

04 May 09 Apply K1 .................... 10 April .. Apply CR1....................20Dec..NVC found 230

18 May 09 NOA 1......................... 20 April... NOA1...........................28Dec..sent more 864 docs

16 Sep 09 NOA 2......................... 06 Oct..... NOA2...........................2011

08 Nov 09 P3................................... 21 Oct..... Have Case #..............21 Jan...SIF

06 Dec 09 P4............................... 30 OCt..... Have DS-3032...............26 Jan .. CC

29 Dec 09. Interview..................... 1 Nov..... email Ds-3032...............1 Apr, 3 week visit

29 Dec,,,,No Visa.......................... 1 Nov......paid AOS.......................4 May Interview.Approved..

9 Aug 2010 I-129F ended.............. 5 Nov......paid IV.........,,,,,,,,,,, ..... 28 June, Received Visa

............................................................................................................22 July, arrive USA..

Timeline

I got the Single Certificate here in the US. I followed all the steps of making the document, have notarized, sent to State Gov, and sent to Federal Dept of State. Took a couple of months to get. This

finished document is only good 6 months. By the time I got to China it was out of date. My girl and

I took the train to the Chengdu Consulate, got a new Single Document in a few minutes, no problem. Train

ride was great.........

Two months and multiple steps is what I call a PITA. I like the idea of a train ride but it's expensive and depending on distance, quite time consuming. It's 14 hours overnight from my wife's city to the nearest US Consulate. We've been married over five years but will be taking that train ride next week for another reason anyway. Looking forward to it now, but at the time of our marriage, my travel schedule would have required we both buy airline tickets and consume a full day to get the certificate.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

I had same saturation as you do. All i did was just went to a law office and paid them 120 bucks to certified that i was single in USA. I went to their office to fill out my personal information, then they told me to come back 3 days later to pick them up. Then i went back to China last May with that certificate.The marriage center in china accepted it, and I got married there with my hubby. So if you dont mind to spend some extra money to go to these notary offices to get done, that is a good choice to you.I did it in California, Los Angeles.

Edited by starsinsky

Timeline

I had same situation as you do. All i did was just went to a law office and paid them 120 bucks to certified that i was single in USA. I went to their office to fill out my personal information, then they told me to come back 3 days later to pick them up. Then i went back to China last May with that certificate.The marriage center in china accepted it, and I got married there with my hubby. So if you dont mind to spend some extra money to go to these notary offices to get done, that is a good choice to you.I did it in California, Los Angele.

• 10 months later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi,

Based on your username, I'm assuming the Chinese Consulate of jurisdiction for your residence is the Chinese Consulate in NY. I checked the relevant pages on the Consulate's website for what you need and I saw that you would either have to go yourself to the Consulate yourself to obtain what you need or use a service (visarite that Pushbrk suggested is an example of a service).

You have already stated you are looking into your other option which is to get the document you need from the US Embassy or one of the US Consulates in China.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

I got mine before going to China. I got certified copies of my previous divorce's, had my name checked where I live now to see if I applied for a marriage license, had that certified & the state seal on it. Filled out the single status certificate & had that notarized. Took all documents to the China Consulate in L.A. (I live in Phoenix). I think I could of given them a pre-paid FedEx envelope to send it back but didn't so I went back the next week & picked it up. I had no problem in China & married 2 days after I went back. Be sure to get all of your white notarized & translated documents in China after you get married.

Good Luck......

Timeline

Would this be possible in the UK at the US embassy? I tried looking on the website and I can't seem to find the info.

Only a US Consular Officer in China, can execute the Certificate of Marriageability for China, as this is a China specific document issued in both English and Chinese.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

I got an appointment at the U.S. Consulate office online. I had to use the form on the Consulate's website. They do not recognize other forms. Bring passport and they stamped and signed it at the window for $50 USD credit card.

You need to have a copy of your fiancee's Chinese ID. They took a look and gave it back to me. You can bring copy or fax it in or they will tell you to come back when you do.

Since you are going to be there! Get your spouse to fill out the i-130, G-325A, and affidavits before returning.

You can also do this in the U.S. before leaving for China, but the process is stupid. You have to print a form at the Chinese consulate's web site to say you are single. Sign it in front of notary public, take form to county office to get stamp certifying the notary public is legit, take to state office to get state seal certifying the county office stamp is legit, then bring to Chinese consulate for stamp saying they recognize the state seal. Cost about $50 and hours of valuable time.

Edited by mike411

=====================

CR-1 Process

=====================

06/10/2011 - I-130 package sent USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/14/2011 - NOA1

10/21/2011 - I-130 approved (NOA2)

11/19/2011 - NVC recevied case

11/21/2011 - Called NVC for AOS bill and DS-3032

11/21/2011 - Paid AOS Bill

11/21/2011 - EP request and DS-3032 to NVC

11/23/2011 - EP came and DS-3032 accepted

11/23/2011 - Submit I-864

11/28/2011 - Paid IV Bill

11/29/2011 - Submit DS-230

12/05/2011 - Case completed

12/08/2011 - Interview date set

12/11/2011 - Medical exam

01/11/2011 - Document intake day

01/12/2012 - Interview - Approved

03/09/2012 - POE - LAX

Timeline

Would this be possible in the UK at the US embassy? I tried looking on the website and I can't seem to find the info.

Yup - you set up an appointment (or walk in, depending) for American Citizen Services,

and have it done there.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.