ezzie

BRINGING STEPCHILDREN TO US

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

First off- Thank you heaven for this site!

We are presently on the NVC stage, and we haven't gotten the affidavit from the father to allow 2 children to permanently reside in the US.

I am the biological mother, divorced (not annulled)from the father of my children. The stepdad has petitioned for them. The divorce papers granted joint custody, and they are presently residing with him.

My questions..

Will a notarized letter be sufficient, both for NVC and the consulate?

I spoke with the father's assistant last night, and I was told that the father would be okay to sign a letter/affidavit allowing them to go, but would not allow absolution of parental rights. It was such a relief that he will sign, I just need a draft that would be acceptable to the NVC.

Anyone has any inputs/experiences regarding this? We will truly appreciate it. Thanks so much.

Edited by ezzie

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

We are presently on the NVC stage, and we haven't gotten the affidavit from the father to allow 2 children to permanently reside in the US.

I am the biological mother, divorced (not annulled)from the father of my children. The stepdad has petitioned for them. The divorce papers granted joint custody, and they are presently residing with him.

My questions..

I spoke with the father's assistant last night, and I was told that the father would be okay to sign a letter/affidavit allowing them to go, but would not allow absolution of parental rights. It was such a relief that he will sign, I just need a draft that would be acceptable to the NVC.

Anyone has any inputs/experiences regarding this? We will truly appreciate it. Thanks so much.

It is not necessary to post the same messages / questions.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/297580-i-130-bringing-stepchildren-to-us/page__p__4505761#entry4505761

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am going through this process right now and the NVC didn't ask me for custody papers. In fact it says it's not applicable. Nevertheless, make sure that when they travel to the US they have DSWD clearance even if they're traveling with you just in case the authorities ask for it and a notarized letter from the dad that he is aware of the kids moving and living with you.

I am going home to be with my daughter for her medical and interview even if it's not necessary.

Best of luck.:)

Edited by pixie77

AOS from B1B2

06/14/10 – Mailed I-130, 485,765,824

06/16/10 – Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

06/22/10 – Received texts & email routed to NBC

06/24/10 – Checks cashed for I-130, 485, 765, 824

06/26/10 – NOA1 for I-130, 485,765, 824

07/17/10 – Received hard copy of RFE 485

08/16/10 – Sent RFE response

08/19/10 – RFE delivered to NBC

08/20/10 – Case resumed online

09/24/10 – Called USCIS Biometrics Service Request

10/04/10 – Received Service request letter

10/27/10 – Infopass Appt. for Biometrics

11/05/10 – Called USCIS for Biometrics

11/22/10 – Called USCIS Biometrics Service Request

11/23/10 – Wrote & Mail Letter to Congresswoman

12/06/10 – Received Biometrics Letter after 5 months…FINALLY!!!

12/14/10 – Biometrics Done!!

12/15/10 - Card Production Ordered - Online Status-YEHEYY!!!:))

12/28/10 - Received EAD Card!!! Yahoo!! :))

12/30/10 - Applied for SSN

01/03/11 - Received SSN

01/06/11 - Received Interview Letter!! Yahoo!! Feb. 8 it is!!

01/08/11 - Interview Approved!Green Card Stamped on Passport!!

01/14/11 - Approval Notice I-130 & Welcome Letter!

01/18/11 - Received Green Card in the mail..

uzKIm4.png

Daughter's CR-2 Timeline http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=members&area=aboutme

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Figured I should have posted it here instead of the Regional forum. My very first as OP. So sorry.

Hope anyone can still answer...anyone?

i got your private message. not to worry it will be fixed for you.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Timeline

I am going through this process right now and the NVC didn't ask me for custody papers. In fact it says it's not applicable. Nevertheless, make sure that when they travel to the US they have DSWD clearance even if they're traveling with you just in case the authorities ask for it and a notarized letter from the dad that he is aware of the kids moving and living with you.

I am going home to be with my daughter for her medical and interview even if it's not necessary.

Hi pixie.

Were you required at least by NVC to submit a letter/affidavit allowing her to go? You just mentioned custody papers.

Also planning to go home for their medical and interview.

Timeline

Once an interview is scheduled they will email [at least in our case] instructions on what you should do. Here's a link to the website for the documents you may need:

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/supplements/MNL-SUP-ENGL-0003-1012.pdf

This site will tell you what you should bring for the medical:

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/medical/MNL-MED-ENGL-0006-1012.pdf

Were you required at least by NVC to submit a letter/affidavit allowing her to go?

No, we were not. But I was told that upon departure the immigration authorities in Manila MAY ask for it, so you just want to be ready with the DSWD Clearance and a letter from the father that he knows the kids will be living with you in the US, have this document notarized.

You just mentioned custody papers.

We were not asked to submit this. In fact on the NVC checklist it says not applicable.

Edited by pixie77

AOS from B1B2

01/03/11 - Received SSN

uzKIm4.png

Daughter's CR-2 Timeline http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=members&area=aboutme

My questions..

If u are travelling with ur kids then you DO NOT need the DSWD clearance. DSWD clearance is only needed if the minor kids are travelling with somebody else beside the biological parents.

My kids just got here last NOv 2010 and no DSWD clearance was asked from me. Am not sure about the father's affidavit since my kid's biological father already passed away and even before we filed the petition for them my kid's dad was already out of the picture and i had the full custudy of my kids.

The father's authorization is necessary. YOU DO NOT need the DSWD clearance if ur kids are travelling with u. The clearance is ONLY needed if neither one of the parent is travelling with the kids.

You may not realize it but it is important (which is better) if u are with her after she has her visa on hand as u will never know what's gonna happen during her medical exam.

ALso if u get a CFO sticker for her it is best u are there that way CFO office won't ask a bunch of documents if it's only the guardian who will accompany her.

My kids just got here on IR2 visa last November 2010.I went home as soon as they had their visa on hand. My daughter had a slight issue on her medical exam which made them stay a week more at the hotel in Manila. I would be more than willing to answer any questions u may have regarding this.

Good luck!

Edited by happyme'11

Timeline

Wow, thank you so much for all the info. Truly appreciate it.

Hope some will still share their experiences about taking the children over here, more so on the experience with NVC, the consulate, and the POE.

ezzie

Wow, thank you so much for all the info. Truly appreciate it.

Hope some will still share their experiences about taking the children over here, more so on the experience with NVC, the consulate, and the POE.

ezzie

Just make sure u have the custudy papers or document that ur x gives u the authorization for ur kids to live with u.

Timeline
The father's authorization is necessary. YOU DO NOT need the DSWD clearance if ur kids are travelling with u. The clearance is ONLY needed if neither one of the parent is travelling with the kids.

Hi...

I understand that you do not need a DSWD Clearance when a child is travelling with one parent, however, a recent incident in NAIA made me mention this, where a mother was quizzed about the clearance.It may be ignorance on the immigration officer's part at NAIA but this got me really wary, that's why I mentioned the words

MAY ask for it
. :)

AOS from B1B2

01/03/11 - Received SSN

uzKIm4.png

Hi...

I understand that you do not need a DSWD Clearance when a child is travelling with one parent, however, a recent incident in NAIA made me mention this, where a mother was quizzed about the clearance.It may be ignorance on the immigration officer's part at NAIA but this got me really wary, that's why I mentioned the words . :)

It could be the CFO personnel forgot to put the mother's name on her child's passport stating that she is accompanying her child.

My kid's passport has annotation that me the mother is travelling with my kids and i had no problem at all even in our POE.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline

My questions..

Please try the following link. There you will find a sample of a letter of consent for a minor child to be able to immigrate to US:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/258477-stepchildren-some-questions-answers/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.