panteraboy

What is 'Certificate of Marriage Registration"

18 posts in this topic

This is definitely not 100% knowledge based information, but we actually needed to get what is called "Apostille Certified Copy" of our marriage certificate for me to send to the Finnish population registry to get my marriage recorded there as well, and we got this pretty much immediately after our ceremony. This copy, in addition to the Apostille document, has also a light beige slip attached to it with signatures of the county clerk and witness, and a stamp stating it has been certified by a city clerk in the City of New York, State of New York.

So, I would assume that is, in fact, the "Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate"

However, nowhere in the instructions for I-130 or I-485 does it state that "a certified copy" or "a notarized copy" of a marriage certificate needs to be submitted - it only states "copy of marriage certificate". In the Visajourney guidelines it does say "certified copy of a certified..."

So - who knows what they actually want. We have a notarized copy of our marriage certificate, and we have the Apostille copy which we can bring with us to the interview, if needed. I'd doubt that they would give us an RFE for submitting a notarized copy of our marriage certificate, but of course anything is possible and I'm sure that has also happened.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

I have question though. How does the NYC State knows that your marriage ceremony was completed and who notifies the NYC State Marriage License Division?

If you are immediately given your marriage certificate after your marriage ceremony and you try to use that document immediately and some agency tries verify with NYC State, it will not show the marriage is completed since the NYC State was not notified yet.

I would assume that in NYC you get back the Marriage Certificate and the person who conducted your marriage ceremony has the signed Marriage License then brings in the signed Marriage License to the NYC State Marriage License Division. So, before the person who conducted your marriage ceremony brings your signed Marriage License to tne NYC Marriage License Division to be recorded, your marriage is still not on the NYC State official records.

If USCIS accepts your copy of the marriage certificate immediately after marraige, then good for you. However, I am with "mrclean" regarding certified marriage certificate.

I go by this document and step 8:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

8. A copy of your marriage certificate. Note: While a regular copy is allowed, submitting a certified copy is preferred as some members have received an RFE asking for this (so if one is available use that instead).

NY is not like other states. When you get your license here in NY, your names are entered into the computer. When you return the license upon marriage there is a section that the officiant signs that shows you are married. That is one of the advantages of getting married in NY, you get an immediate wedding certificate. It is not the novelty one. It is the legal marriage certificate.

This is what the certificate looks like.

NY Marriage Certificate

I have question though. How does the NYC State knows that your marriage ceremony was completed and who notifies the NYC State Marriage License Division?

If you are immediately given your marriage certificate after your marriage ceremony and you try to use that document immediately and some agency tries verify with NYC State, it will not show the marriage is completed since the NYC State was not notified yet.

I would assume that in NYC you get back the Marriage Certificate and the person who conducted your marriage ceremony has the signed Marriage License then brings in the signed Marriage License to the NYC State Marriage License Division. So, before the person who conducted your marriage ceremony brings your signed Marriage License to tne NYC Marriage License Division to be recorded, your marriage is still not on the NYC State official records.

If USCIS accepts your copy of the marriage certificate immediately after marraige, then good for you. However, I am with "mrclean" regarding certified marriage certificate.

I go by this document and step 8:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

8. A copy of your marriage certificate. Note: While a regular copy is allowed, submitting a certified copy is preferred as some members have received an RFE asking for this (so if one is available use that instead).

NY is not like other states. When you get your license here in NY, your names are entered into the computer. When you return the license upon marriage there is a section that the officiant signs that shows you are married. That is one of the advantages of getting married in NY, you get an immediate wedding certificate. It is not the novelty one. It is the legal marriage certificate.

This is what the certificate looks like.

NY Marriage Certificate

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
If you had your ceremony outside of city hall, the officiant is supposed to mail in your signed marriage license and I believe you get your marriage certificate in the mail. Your signed marriage license is not your marriage certificate.

This is correct.

AOS from B1B2

06/14/10 – Mailed I-130, 485,765,824

06/16/10 – Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

06/22/10 – Received texts & email routed to NBC

06/24/10 – Checks cashed for I-130, 485, 765, 824

06/26/10 – NOA1 for I-130, 485,765, 824

07/17/10 – Received hard copy of RFE 485

08/16/10 – Sent RFE response

08/19/10 – RFE delivered to NBC

08/20/10 – Case resumed online

09/24/10 – Called USCIS Biometrics Service Request

10/04/10 – Received Service request letter

10/27/10 – Infopass Appt. for Biometrics

11/05/10 – Called USCIS for Biometrics

11/22/10 – Called USCIS Biometrics Service Request

11/23/10 – Wrote & Mail Letter to Congresswoman

12/06/10 – Received Biometrics Letter after 5 months…FINALLY!!!

12/14/10 – Biometrics Done!!

12/15/10 - Card Production Ordered - Online Status-YEHEYY!!!:))

12/28/10 - Received EAD Card!!! Yahoo!! :))

12/30/10 - Applied for SSN

01/03/11 - Received SSN

01/06/11 - Received Interview Letter!! Yahoo!! Feb. 8 it is!!

01/08/11 - Interview Approved!Green Card Stamped on Passport!!

01/14/11 - Approval Notice I-130 & Welcome Letter!

01/18/11 - Received Green Card in the mail..

uzKIm4.png

Daughter's CR-2 Timeline http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=members&area=aboutme

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.