Amby

Georgia Lawmaker's Anti-Abortion Proposal Could Punish Women for Miscarriages

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

A Georgia state representative has reintroduced an anti-abortion bill that would make miscarriages a felony if the mother cannot prove there was no "human involvement."

The legislation from Rep. Bobby Franklin, a Republican, would make all abortions, described as "prenatal murder," illegal based on the belief that all life begins at conception. The bill's definition of "prenatal murder" excludes miscarriages "so long as there is no human involvement whatsoever" in causing them. Anyone convicted would face the death penalty or life behind bars.

Miscarriages, defined as pregnancies that end on their own within the first 20 weeks, are quite common. As many as 40 percent of all pregnancies end in miscarriage, often before a woman misses a menstrual period or even knows she is pregnant, according to the March of Dimes. About 10 to 15 percent of recognized pregnancies end in a miscarriage, the group found.

It is still unclear what causes miscarriages, but in most cases, it is a sign that the pregnancy is not developing normally.

Franklin's legislation does not clarify what defines human involvement or how this would be enforced.

Franklin did not return a message seeking comment. His voicemail greeting thanks callers for "calling to give me encouragement about sponsorship of HB 1 that recognizes prenatal murder is murder. I'm not able to take that encouragement right now."

His office told FoxNews.com that the "right-to-life" bill is "not as stab at people who miscarriages." Franklin has introduced the bill each session since 2002 but it has never made it out of committee, his office said, adding that it likely never will.

But Franklin's legislation still prompted outrage among women's advocates.

"These proposals do nothing to prevent unintended pregnancies and abortions," Leola Reis, a spokeswoman for Planned Parenthood Southeast, said in an e-mail to FoxNews.com. "Lawmakers who truly care about women and families should work with Planned Parenthood to increase access to proven prevention initiatives like birth control and sex education."

"This type of initiative in Georgia and the recent attacks on publicly funded contraceptive programs nationally are out of step with the needs of women and families and out of step with American values," she added.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/26/georgia-lawmakers-anti-abortion-proposal-punish-women-miscarriages/

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

I read about that just yesterday! Crazy - can't get much more anti women imo. The article I read stated they wanted investigations into those who miscarried and someone said "I thought they were all about budget cuts and rolling back government involvement? This would take a lot of money to enforce"

Another place pointed out that it's quite common for red herring bills - those with absolutely ridiculous notions that would never pass but serve to waste law makers time and distract from other more pressing issues.

Even if that's the case it makes me so uncomfortable that people in any position of influence or power could carelessly show that much disdain just for being unfortunate enough for having a womb. It makes me nervous to live here.

I also noticed that there was no wording about mothers who's life were in danger. Oh well I guess I should fight to get my tubes tied (which they probably won't do because I'm under 30 with one child) under this kind of law I'm going to be left to die* or face jail next time I get knocked up. Leaving my husband and toddler to fend for themselves, awesome choices! :bonk:

Edit: And bankrupt from medical bills

Edited by KaiserD
mooglesmall2-1-1.jpgDelicioussig.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Any quack representative can pose a bill, getting it passed is another thing

As someone actually LIVING in GA, this is as good as garbage

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Any quack representative can pose a bill, getting it passed is another thing

As someone actually LIVING in GA, this is as good as garbage

You must be living in a more forward thinking part of it than me then (and not being sarcastic, I do think it makes a difference), because some of the things I have heard since moving here have really disturbed me. Nothing quite like this, but seriously old school none the less.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You must be living in a more forward thinking part of it than me then (and not being sarcastic, I do think it makes a difference), because some of the things I have heard since moving here have really disturbed me. Nothing quite like this, but seriously old school none the less.

Nothing wrong with "old school".

B-)

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Franklin's legislation does not clarify what defines human involvement or how this would be enforced.

perhaps this is aimed at someone punching their pregnant g/f or wife in the stomach.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Nothing wrong with "old school".

B-)

In some ways - Manners were probably better, standards were a little higher and people definitely not so lazy.

But old school includes things like "black people shouldn't marry white people" and "women should stay at home" - I'm all for personal choice, there will always be races that only want to marry the same race, women who enjoy being home makers, but I'm not one of them and since I'm not harming anyone else in doing so, dislike being frowned at for it.

I really hate the whole "men should buy women drinks and pay for dates" thing, it has a sweet notion to it but I see some women with entitlement issues and some men getting mad because they paid up and then didn't "get any". As someone who has paid their own way (dates, plane tickets, paid for whole wedding) I don't like getting caught up in sweeping statements about women and money using ways and there was a whole cr*pload of that on Valentines this year. TV, radio, Facebook, comments just within my earshot.

I made a cake for Valentines day, never doing that again. I don't know what they put in Betty Crocker cake mixes, but I swear it is the physical avatar of diabetes.

If you don't tell anyone you had a miscarriage, how would the DA know?

I read somewhere that most go unreported because the woman never even knows she was pregnant when it happens.

As for those that happen later on in the process, it is medically advised that you go see a doctor if it happens. Sometimes the body doesn't fully clean itself out (i am using imprecise terminology here, obviously) and medical intervention is necessary. And sometimes - for example, when there are recurrent miscarriages - the woman should probably find out why they're happening (esp. if she is actively trying to conceive).

Another good reason for not allowing religious observance to have any influence over state law.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

I read somewhere that most go unreported because the woman never even knows she was pregnant when it happens.

As for those that happen later on in the process, it is medically advised that you go see a doctor if it happens. Sometimes the body doesn't fully clean itself out (i am using imprecise terminology here, obviously) and medical intervention is necessary. And sometimes - for example, when there are recurrent miscarriages - the woman should probably find out why they're happening (esp. if she is actively trying to conceive).

You're right. They do a procedure called a D&C which is similar to that they do during an abortion. The cervix is dialated and any tissue remaining in the uterus is cleaned out with either a vacuum or a curettage. If there is any tissue still inside the uterus after miscarraige there is a risk for infection.

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You're right. They do a procedure called a D&C which is similar to that they do during an abortion. The cervix is dialated and any tissue remaining in the uterus is cleaned out with either a vacuum or a curettage. If there is any tissue still inside the uterus after miscarraige there is a risk for infection.

And then there is the procedure popular in some quarters called menstrual extraction. A quick evacuation prior to onset of expected period that incidentally removes a developing embryo if present.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I doubt if anyone intends to make criminals of women that have miscarriages, but it points out what happens when people try to legislate morality and apply their morals to others by force of law.

And then there is the procedure popular in some quarters called menstrual extraction. A quick evacuation prior to onset of expected period that incidentally removes a developing embryo if present.

Oops.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla