IV Stepmom petitioning for me

50 posts in this topic

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

If he is still there what document will he be using to come back to the US, he can't use the expired PR card. Is he coming back to live in the US?

Yes he will be going back, he's had his permanent residency for 20yrs there about. The more important issue would be me and my appointment next week. He wont have it back by then.... :(

WE 'must' in all things have faith, though we often ask the questions why? Everything will be just fine.

Yes he will be going back, he's had his permanent residency for 20yrs there about. The more important issue would be me and my appointment next week. He wont have it back by then.... :(

Help me out here, so your father has applied for a new GC. But he doesn't have any documents showing that he has done this. He will be waiting on the new GC(Pr) card to arrive from the US, so he can fly back.

If he doesn't have any documents to show that his GC has been extended or he has applied for a ne GC, then you will have to delay your interview. You can always email them and ask.

Timeline

Help me out here, so your father has applied for a new GC. But he doesn't have any documents showing that he has done this. He will be waiting on the new GC(Pr) card to arrive from the US, so he can fly back.

If he doesn't have any documents to show that his GC has been extended or he has applied for a ne GC, then you will have to delay your interview. You can always email them and ask.

No he has not applied as yet, he has never reapplied for one while still here. We only realized that the expiry date has passed because I am now copying the documents for my interview next week.

I sent an email to the consular office just now asking what the steps are in reapplying or obtaining ones PR card once it has expired.

Do I email them telling them that my dad's PR card has expired or just a request for a new date?

WE 'must' in all things have faith, though we often ask the questions why? Everything will be just fine.

No he has not applied as yet, he has never reapplied for one while still here. We only realized that the expiry date has passed because I am now copying the documents for my interview next week.

I sent an email to the consular office just now asking what the steps are in reapplying or obtaining ones PR card once it has expired.

Do I email them telling them that my dad's PR card has expired or just a request for a new date?

First look on the USCIS site to see how he will apply for a new card. I am a little confused, b/c GC's that were issues 20 years ago didn't have expiration dates, unless your father sent in for one of the new ones and it was issued with a expiration date. If that is the case then he will have to go thru the process of obtaining a new card.

Timeline

First look on the USCIS site to see how he will apply for a new card. I am a little confused, b/c GC's that were issues 20 years ago didn't have expiration dates, unless your father sent in for one of the new ones and it was issued with a expiration date. If that is the case then he will have to go thru the process of obtaining a new card.

I am as lost as you are, his card does have an expiration date, omit the comment about the years. All I know is it is expired and will in some way affect my current situation. Please not he is not the Petitioner for my case but a copy of his PR card was requested by the counselor officer.

I am as lost as you are, his card does have an expiration date, omit the comment about the years. All I know is it is expired and will in some way affect my current situation. Please not he is not the Petitioner for my case but a copy of his PR card was requested by the counselor officer.

I understand, but his GC needs to be valid, so there goes another problem for you. :bonk:

Timeline

I understand, but his GC needs to be valid, so there goes another problem for you. :bonk:

Yes I am more than aware that this is indeed a problem, hence me trying to find out what I need to do from here on out.

This sucks

Timeline

Are you sure your father has an expiration date on his GC?

He read the information on the card to me,and it says expiry date, this will be his second card both valid for 10years

He read the information on the card to me,and it says expiry date, this will be his second card both valid for 10years

Did you'll go out to the USIC website, to see how he can apply for an update card when he is out of the country, b/c it looks like he will have a problem with doing that too.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=f1903a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=f1903a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

If you are outside of the United States when the card expires and you have not applied for the renewal card prior to your departure, you should contact the nearest U.S. Consulate, USCIS office, or U.S. port of entry before attempting to file Form I-90 for a renewal green card.

For more information on USCIS office locations, see the “Find a USCIS Office” link to the right.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Timeline

Does anyone know how long it takes to receive a new PR card?

Ok guys....no one has answered this question (sadly)I also need more advise. So we manage to apply for a new card from here in Jamaica thank God. But my dad is still stuck with me in the mean time. Now here is my question...I had my interview and the CO said that everything look good except she was unable to issue the visa (because of the obvious fact - my dad's expired card)...Now only is it an inconvenience to have my dad here for an unknown period because he is waiting on a transportation letter to go back to continue the process of retrieving the new card, I was wondering if I had a letter or some document put together by a lawyer stating that I wish to have a waiver of the document requested and be able to travel with my dad back to the states, seeing that he came here not noticing the card had already expired and conducted the DNA testing here with the hopes of accompanying me to the states if that would help with the issuing of my immigrant visa and we could hopefully be able to travel together when he receives his transportation letter.

Is this a long shot or possibility?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Ok guys....no one has answered this question (sadly)I also need more advise. So we manage to apply for a new card from here in Jamaica thank God. But my dad is still stuck with me in the mean time. Now here is my question...I had my interview and the CO said that everything look good except she was unable to issue the visa (because of the obvious fact - my dad's expired card)...Now only is it an inconvenience to have my dad here for an unknown period because he is waiting on a transportation letter to go back to continue the process of retrieving the new card, I was wondering if I had a letter or some document put together by a lawyer stating that I wish to have a waiver of the document requested and be able to travel with my dad back to the states, seeing that he came here not noticing the card had already expired and conducted the DNA testing here with the hopes of accompanying me to the states if that would help with the issuing of my immigrant visa and we could hopefully be able to travel together when he receives his transportation letter.

Is this a long shot or possibility?

that's a long shot. The embassy is ONLY there to help him get back into the country by issuing the Transportation letter. He can file a renewal request online at USCIS.GOV which extends his status for 12 months while the case is being processed. The consulate just might accept it.... might.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Timeline

that's a long shot. The embassy is ONLY there to help him get back into the country by issuing the Transportation letter. He can file a renewal request online at USCIS.GOV which extends his status for 12 months while the case is being processed. The consulate just might accept it.... might.

Yes I am aware the embassy is ONLY here to help him get back to the US...that is why i have done up all the necessary applications and we are no awaiting a call or at least further instructions for him to collect the previously mentioned letter.

As for the temporary proof valid for 12 months...I have already asked and that will not be accepted.

So that is why i am now wondering about the idea of the whole thing being waived because we are uncertain when my dad will receive his new card we are wondering what other approach there is. As the longer this takes, I will have to re do my Police Record Certificate which expires in a few months and also my medical , they all become expired this year. Not only is that time but also expensive....and after completing all of those plus paying for a DNA for over 700US the thought of spending more more terrifies me...I cannot afford it.

Please advise me...anyone

Thank you very much in advance

Yes I am aware the embassy is ONLY here to help him get back to the US...that is why i have done up all the necessary applications and we are no awaiting a call or at least further instructions for him to collect the previously mentioned letter.

As for the temporary proof valid for 12 months...I have already asked and that will not be accepted.

So that is why i am now wondering about the idea of the whole thing being waived because we are uncertain when my dad will receive his new card we are wondering what other approach there is. As the longer this takes, I will have to re do my Police Record Certificate which expires in a few months and also my medical , they all become expired this year. Not only is that time but also expensive....and after completing all of those plus paying for a DNA for over 700US the thought of spending more more terrifies me...I cannot afford it.

Please advise me...anyone

First, stop shouting at Richardo, there is nothing the embassy can do until they see a copy of your father's new PR card. I know you are trying your best to be patient, but the US will still be here to welcome you with open arms when you have completed your journey.

Patients will now have to be your test of time. :thumbs:

Thank you very much in advance

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.