mell8725

Why am I getting so many different answers for the same question??

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi all, forgive me if my tone is a little aggravated but i am so fed up with these so called professionals who are supposed to have all the answers but yet each time i call they tell me something different... :ranting:

Anyway this is the situation: I came here on a B1/B2 visa 6 years ago, overstayed and been out of status since. My USC husband and I filed my I485, I130 etc. a few days ago and I am waiting for my NOA1 so I can apply for college before the deadline. I know if i wait for the EAD I'll definitely be able to apply but that's just going to take too long. I spoke with a couple different people from the school's international students department and so far none of the information i've received match, its always a different story so i am like so confused as to what i can and cannot do with this NOA1. First i was told that i can apply as soon as I receive my NOA1, so that got me really excited but then i called back to yesterday to see what other documents i need to bring and i was told that I cant apply until i receive my GC, so of course i got really irritated at all the different info i was getting from the same school in the same department.

I immediately got on the phone with USCIS and as usual they didnt know what to tell me so they suggested i make an infopass appt.

Today i called the school back to figure out the reason they told me i couldn't apply was based on the school's policy or was it some piece of legislation that stated that, and she said that she's just going by Homeland Security's guidelines.

Right now my head is spinning i'm confused, disappointed, irritated and i feel like i'm going insane dealing with these people and their lack of knowledge on what they are getting paid to do....Im hoping that someone on here has been through the same or a similar situation and has an answer to my dilemma....Please help me, I am open to all suggestions or if you have a similar story to share i'm all ears...or eyes i guess...

:help:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Your issue is learning what is the correct policy at the school, not USCIS.

Are they saying that you need legal status in the US in order to apply?

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Well from what i was told, the school's policy is based on USCIS guidelines, I guess thats what they are saying because she said i would need a GC or a F1 visa, and even my EAD wouldnt allow me to apply based on what she told me....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Sometimes, is best to get onto the Campus,

talk with an International Student Coordinator (or similar title)

--forget all lackeys below this title, they are just 'tools'.

This coordinator is supposed to know the current DHS regs, and can suss you out.

But do, go in person. Phone calls are useless.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Guidelines for what? That you are legally here in the US with authorization to attend college/university?

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Im not sure what guidelines to be honest, but im assuming that since im out of status right now im not able to apply even though my case is pending..as far as the EAD not being able to qualify me im lost on that one

Im not sure what guidelines to be honest, but im assuming that since im out of status right now im not able to apply even though my case is pending..as far as the EAD not being able to qualify me im lost on that one

I agree with the other posters here - go on campus and talk to someone who knows the facts about international students and admission requirements. It also depends on the state you are planning to attend school and what their laws are and in the end you may have to wait until the next semester before you can enroll, maybe you generally can, but at a higher cost (not in-state tuition).

Take it from me, Last fall when my AOS was still in progress I was told to come back with a valid green card in order to study at in-state tuition at a community college.

Recently got the card, went back on campus and now they tell me that there is a law out there in California that would require me to have one year of legal presence in the US even with a green card. Alas, I started my AOS on an out-of-status F-1 visa and so in the college's eyes was not legally in the US last year and my green card is not even 2 weeks old, too current to consider me as a California resident, despite having a California Driver's license for 3 1/2 years (which illegals don't get issued).

Hope you will find a good ear that will admit you to take classes, good luck on your AOS journey!!

Maxximus

10/13/2010 - Mailed in The Package (AOS, I-765, I-130)

10/17/2010 - USPS confirms delivery to USCIS

10/25/2010 - Check cashed

10/26/2010 - All applications been worked on aka touched

10/28/2010 - NOA1 Receipts for applications received

11/24/2010 - Received appointment for biometrics in the mail for 12/17 *yay*

12/17/2010 - 9.25 a.m. - 9.45 a.m. Biometrics done !!

12/23/2010 - EAD Approved and Card on its way - Email notification received *yay*

01/03/2011 - WOOOHOOO ...EAD Card in Hand!

01/04/2011 - Oh boy....Received Interview Letter today - February 3rd is the day! :)

02/03/2011 - Interview scheduled 12:45 p.m. - out of there before 1:30 p.m. - further review

Coming home, checking for touches at 5:30 p.m. - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED !!!!

Thank you All on Visajourney for your inputs, experiences and thoughts!!!

02/09/2011 - Yup another e-mail saying that my card production was ordered.

02/10/2011 - E-mail notification "Approval letter was sent today"

02/14/2011 - Welcome Letter / Approval NOA and Card (separate envelope) received!!! :D

Late November 2012 (have to look up my receipts ;) - mailed in ROC I-751

12/12/2012 - NOA 1, status extension received

12/18/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter received

01/08/2013 - Biometrics done

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

why do you need to go to the international student affairs? I think that you don't need to apply as an international student as you have been a resident of your state and adjusting your status. If perhaps you didn't get married and want to apply for a student visa, perhaps. But people who overstayed aren't eligible for a student visa. ANyway You will be a permanent resident soon, it's just a matter of paperwork. I stand corrected on this, just my thought.

By the way, I inquired at a community college here in NY. They don't care about immigration status. They just want me to prove that I am a resident of NY so they can tell me my tuition. When I opened my mouth about immigration they stopped me and told me and said they don't discrimminate against immigration status. Depends on your state maybe. Talk to the student affairs director about our predicament.

I just want to add, if you want to avail of a student loan, maybe this is the reason why you need to be a green card holder.

Best of luck!

Edited by pixie77

AOS from B1B2

06/14/10 – Mailed I-130, 485,765,824

06/16/10 – Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

06/22/10 – Received texts & email routed to NBC

06/24/10 – Checks cashed for I-130, 485, 765, 824

06/26/10 – NOA1 for I-130, 485,765, 824

07/17/10 – Received hard copy of RFE 485

08/16/10 – Sent RFE response

08/19/10 – RFE delivered to NBC

08/20/10 – Case resumed online

09/24/10 – Called USCIS Biometrics Service Request

10/04/10 – Received Service request letter

10/27/10 – Infopass Appt. for Biometrics

11/05/10 – Called USCIS for Biometrics

11/22/10 – Called USCIS Biometrics Service Request

11/23/10 – Wrote & Mail Letter to Congresswoman

12/06/10 – Received Biometrics Letter after 5 months…FINALLY!!!

12/14/10 – Biometrics Done!!

12/15/10 - Card Production Ordered - Online Status-YEHEYY!!!:))

12/28/10 - Received EAD Card!!! Yahoo!! :))

12/30/10 - Applied for SSN

01/03/11 - Received SSN

01/06/11 - Received Interview Letter!! Yahoo!! Feb. 8 it is!!

01/08/11 - Interview Approved!Green Card Stamped on Passport!!

01/14/11 - Approval Notice I-130 & Welcome Letter!

01/18/11 - Received Green Card in the mail..

uzKIm4.png

Daughter's CR-2 Timeline http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=members&area=aboutme

Filed: Other Timeline

Of course you get varying answers, and I tell you why.

As you will learn at some point in your life, immigration is a federal issue, whereas driver licenses and education are under state authority. Therefore, there are 50 different ways to deal with this and only somebody from your state will be able to help you.

Here in California, the immigration status is a non issue in regard to attending college. In fact, the California Supreme Court has just ruled that even illegal immigrants are eligible for in-state tuition, which is a honking deal compared with out-of-state tuition. What a California institution of higher learning requires from its students who apply for in-state tuition is that they have been a resident (not a lawful resident, mind you) of the Golden State for at least 1 year. They want to see a California driver license, utility bills, stuff of that kind, or nothing. I studied at a community college and then transferred to UCLA all with a long expired B2 and nobody even asked me once about my immigration status. What they cared about is that I lived in California for over a year, and I did indeed.

This may be totally different in the state of Illinois, and again different in the backwoods of Alabama. In addition, different schools may have different policies in regard to what to require from potential students. What you definitely don't want to do is enroll as an international student, as that would require an I-20 and a student visa.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

NOA1 had no weight to get you in school or gain resident status for classification. Your best bet to being classified as a resident is having ties a spouse (which you have), parent etc living in the state. But as advised this varies as you cross the state lines.... uscis should not be contacted they cannot help you. These are the school's requirements that you have to get defined.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Also, adding to the conversation and please correct me if I am wrong, but if this is now a question of the primary APPLICATION process, at least at my university (in NYC) the immigration status / eligibility for a visa / residency was not a part of the application process itself at all - it only becomes relevant if and when you are accepted to the school, which from my understanding is usually at least a couple of months from when you submit the application.

Again, I am no expert - but I did apply to a university here as an international student, currently study under F-1 and am in the process of AOS due to marriage to USC. If I am understanding the situation right, and you are now at the point of starting to apply to a school, that should be fine to do without the NOA1, right?

(don't know if the overstay has bearing on this or not though..)

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I just want to add, if you want to avail of a student loan, maybe this is the reason why you need to be a green card holder.

Best of luck!

Correct.

OP - you need to clarify this when you inquire about your school programs.

Here in NJ - you need to be a US citizen or a Permanent resident in order to get a student loan approved.

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

since I am basically in the same situation, having green card in hand and want to enroll and pay in-state tuition I did some research about what JustBob mentioned regarding illegals, undocumented people paying California resident fees.

you know, so I have some good argument when I approach the admissions and records office once more.

But after reading a few articles about it - partially Bob is right, there is just some more work that needs to be done before you can claim California residential fees at colleges - the judgment from last November says that this applies to people who have been attending a US high school for 3 years - and can proof that, too. If you have your high school records and diploma, sure you can go ahead and appeal with the campus you are applying for. Or if you have been studying at a different school, were lucky enough to pay in-state tuition you may just transfer and nobody will look into your current immigration status or status in the US in general.

As for me, it seems I am just out of luck on this one because when you fill out the application to enroll for the first time it has a mandatory field asking about your status - international student, US citizen, permanent resident with valid A#. Yay I thought, having an A number now and so just wanted to adjust the last fall started application but can't do it online and you need to come to the office and show your green card in order for them to change your classification in their system. The A&R clerk also told me that they do need to see that sort of evidence from people who don't have a US high school diploma, or if you are a US citizen high school drop out and want to take just a simple one unit class, you still have to show your passport, birth certificate or 3 years of completed high school records. The good old drivers license doesn't seem to count as fact that you are lawfully residing in California and so don't utility bills for your apartment you have for years.

...thought I add this to my recent experience in case someone wants to go back to school in Cali and stumbles upon this thread.

Maxximus

10/13/2010 - Mailed in The Package (AOS, I-765, I-130)

10/17/2010 - USPS confirms delivery to USCIS

10/25/2010 - Check cashed

10/26/2010 - All applications been worked on aka touched

10/28/2010 - NOA1 Receipts for applications received

11/24/2010 - Received appointment for biometrics in the mail for 12/17 *yay*

12/17/2010 - 9.25 a.m. - 9.45 a.m. Biometrics done !!

12/23/2010 - EAD Approved and Card on its way - Email notification received *yay*

01/03/2011 - WOOOHOOO ...EAD Card in Hand!

01/04/2011 - Oh boy....Received Interview Letter today - February 3rd is the day! :)

02/03/2011 - Interview scheduled 12:45 p.m. - out of there before 1:30 p.m. - further review

Coming home, checking for touches at 5:30 p.m. - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED !!!!

Thank you All on Visajourney for your inputs, experiences and thoughts!!!

02/09/2011 - Yup another e-mail saying that my card production was ordered.

02/10/2011 - E-mail notification "Approval letter was sent today"

02/14/2011 - Welcome Letter / Approval NOA and Card (separate envelope) received!!! :D

Late November 2012 (have to look up my receipts ;) - mailed in ROC I-751

12/12/2012 - NOA 1, status extension received

12/18/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter received

01/08/2013 - Biometrics done

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.