Tostones809

I-130 Who would be the best petitioner?

8 posts in this topic

My family wants to bring my uncle to the USA as a permanent resident. Im trying to get some information on who would be the best petitioner or if it doesn't really matter. Here it is. My mother (my uncle's sister) which is a US citizen or my grandmother (my uncle's mother) which is permanent resident. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I am not 100% sure.. but Ill tell you waht Ive read and other ppl can correct me if wrong

if your mother petition for your uncle as his sister... as far as I know petitions between siblings can take even 10 years or more.. its a long process ... and your uncle must be single! (As far as I can remember)

your grandmother would be the best option since its his mother.. but I think resident cant file for relatives until they become Citizen...

good luck

I want to add this

Who is Eligible to Sponsor a Sibling?

If you are a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years old, you are eligible to petition to bring your brother or sister to live and work permanently in the United States. If you are a lawful permanent resident, you are not eligible to apply to bring your brother or sister to live and work permanently in the United States.

Edited by GJen

G(Venezuela)Venezuela%20flag-S-anim.gifanimated_earth.gifus-flag-small.gifJen(GA,U.S.)iATxm5.png369549mx7b73btk2.gif

Visajourney.png

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I am not 100% sure.. but Ill tell you waht Ive read and other ppl can correct me if wrong

if your mother petition for your uncle as his sister... as far as I know petitions between siblings can take even 10 years or more.. its a long process ... and your uncle must be single! (As far as I can remember):no:

For petitions to siblings, they can be single or married...:yes:

Filed: IR-5 Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It's faster for a parent than for a sibling, so the better option is for his mother to be the petitioner.

The information below is also something to look into, and someone sle who has experience or know about this can clarify or confirm:

I don't know how long your grandmother has been a LPR, but after 5 years she is eligible for citizenship and then her son becomes immediate relative for immigration purposes, from what I understand. If the petition is still pending when this happens, then his case would be updated and the process will be speedier.

Petitioning for Mom

USCIS Journey

2010-12-23 I-130 Sent

2010-12-31 Check cashed

2011-01-03 I-130 NOA1 - Received I-797C

2011-02-07 I-130 Approved - (35 days!!)

Your I-130 was approved in 35 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC Journey

2011-02-10 NVC Case Number Assigned

2011-02-11 Called NVC / Updated Email Addresses

2011-02-14 Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill (Email)

2011-02-15 Emailed DS-3032 to NVC / Paid I-864 Bill

2011-02-17 I-864 Bill shows Paid / Printed I-864 Cover Sheet

2011-02-18 NVC Received DS-3032 & I-864 Fee (Email)

2011-02-23 Received IV Bill (Email) / Paid IV Bill

2011-02-25 IV Bill shows Paid / Printed IV Cover Sheet

2011-03-26 Mailed AOS Package (I-864EZ)

2011-04-07 NVC Received I-864EZ Package /Requested IV Package (Email)

2011-04-29 Mailed IV Package (DS-230)

2011-05-14 NVC requested Biographic Data Page of mom's Passport (Email)

2011-05-17 Mailed photocopy of Biographic Data Page of mom's Passport

2011-05-26 Sign In Failed / Case Complete (NVC Automated response)

2011-05-27 Case forwarded to Consulate - Packet 4 received (Email)

2011-06-27 Medical Exam - Complete

2011-07-12 IV Interview - Approved

Your interview took 190 days from your I-130 NOA1 date.

2011-07-16 Visa Received

2011-09-21 POE - New York

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

My family wants to bring my uncle to the USA as a permanent resident. Im trying to get some information on who would be the best petitioner or if it doesn't really matter. Here it is. My mother (my uncle's sister) which is a US citizen or my grandmother (my uncle's mother) which is permanent resident. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

ditto to everyone.

if your uncle is married, your grandmother cannot file for him, she can only file for unmarried children.

what country is he from?

Edited by aleful

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Is your Uncle Married..? Does he have any young children? if yes then it would be your mother who could petition for him I would say. If he is single then your grandmother/his mother should petition for him even if she has no intention of becoming a us citizen it would still be quicker.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It's faster for a parent than for a sibling, so the better option is for his mother to be the petitioner.

The information below is also something to look into, and someone sle who has experience or know about this can clarify or confirm:

I don't know how long your grandmother has been a LPR, but after 5 years she is eligible for citizenship and then her son becomes immediate relative for immigration purposes, from what I understand. If the petition is still pending when this happens, then his case would be updated and the process will be speedier.

Hey Chenielle good to see you around the place.

IF the applicant's mother becomes a us citizen then the Immediate Relative would apply if he is under 21. if the uncle is over 21 years old then he would be subjected to the visa bulletin's cut off dates but definitely would still be quicker.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.