From_VN_To_TX

inspected by immigration officer in the airport

31 posts in this topic

I've been to the U.S. 3 times under visiting visa B1/B2. I came back to my original country to renew my visa and come back to the States again on December 2010. I kept some of my paperwork included my birth certificate and divorced certificate in my carry on items while I were scanned for security. The officers in the airport were suspicious about my paperwork and they took me to the private room to ask some questions why do I bring these stuff with me to the States? I told them that these paperwork are very important to me so I felt insecure to leave them back home. The officers kept asking me other questions and discussing with each other for around 1 hour. After that, they released me. My question is that does it mean I was inspected by the officers? I got marriage in the States on Feb 2011 and I am going to send all of my paperwork for Adjustment of Status. However, to be honest, the trouble happened still haunted me and make me feel hesitate to send my AOS paperwork. Will the airport record anything from my case? Will the USCIS cause any trouble for me when I file for AOS? Please let me know what do you think and what should I do.

Thank you very much for reading my story.

Edited by Mr Thai

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

What are you adjusting from?? A K-1??

Keep in mind USCIS will have a record of all the questions and that you had paperwork that looks like your intent upon entry was to immigrate. if this is the case, USCIS can go hard or even deny in the basis of INTENT.

Was your INTENT upon entry to the USA on the B-2 to get married and adjust status??

The POE is part of Homeland Security, as well as USCIS.

I would play it safe, file only an I-130 for a spouse visa, don't overstay the allowed stay on the I-94, and return home for a spouse visa interview. You should be able to visit on the B-2 if it is multi-entry and still valid.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No harm done as long as you didn't lie and stayed polite. Entering the US is always to up the custom officers. It happens that people have do withdraw their application for entry at customs (that's what happens when you're denied) when entering on a visitor's visa and it doesn't harm their K1 application.

It is unclear to me if you entered the US on your K-1 and married your fiancée on Feb 11 or if you were visiting while it's pending. Did you enter with your K-1, married and will now file for AOS?

If you did enter on your K1 and married you HAVE to file for AOS.

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

I will adjust from B1/B2. I did not really intend to do adjustment of status in the states. My husband told me I should bring these stuff to the U.S. in case needed so I followed him. according to your reply, the USCIS already know that the IO in the airport interviewed me the day I entered the U.S. ? To be honest, I just got marriage and wish I could stay here with my husband and adjust status so I can stay legally. My husband told me it won't be a big deal if I send my package because we are real marriage. However, the thing I am concerned about is that USCIS may think I tried to get visiting visa to come here and adjust status and make it difficult for my case. I am so confused right now and don't know what to do.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If I were you, I would return to Vietnam and take the CR-1 route. Seriously.

Ok I get it now!

You entered on a visitor visa AND are planning to adjust status from the US? Not gonna happen hun :blink:

You can only adjust status from an immigrant visa and you entered on a visitor visa.

It's ok you got married but you absolutely can't stay. You might want to consider the K3 (visa for spouse). There is a section dedicated to it on this forum.

I advise you strongly to not overstay your visitor visa. Guaranteed that will harm any immigration application. Especially if you didn't tell the officers about your USC fiancé.

I wish you the best and be patient!

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Timeline

Ok I get it now!

You entered on a visitor visa AND are planning to adjust status from the US? Not gonna happen hun :blink:

You can only adjust status from an immigrant visa and you entered on a visitor visa.

It's ok you got married but you absolutely can't stay. You might want to consider the K3 (visa for spouse). There is a section dedicated to it on this forum.

I advise you strongly to not overstay your visitor visa. Guaranteed that will harm any immigration application. Especially if you didn't tell the officers about your USC fiancé.

I wish you the best and be patient!

Two points.

AOS is for adjusting from NON immigrant to immigrant, as in K1, K3, work student tourist etc, an immigrant on a CR1 IR1 etc does not adjust status.

K3 is no longer an option NVC closes them and proceeds on with CR1.

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Thanks everyone for your advices. I really appreciate it.

I made up my mind that I would fly back to my country and my spouse will submit the paperwork for me after. However, my visa will be expired on December 2011 so can I come to visit my spouse in the U.S again while my application is pending at USCIS?

One more question, I have a son who is 20 now and will turn to 21 this October. I heard that if I ask my spouse to sponsor me under K3/K4 visa will allow my son to come with me to the U.S. is it correct?

Thank you very much again. Wish everyone have a great day

I made up my mind that I would fly back to my country and my spouse will submit the paperwork for me after. However, my visa will be expired on December 2011 so can I come to visit my spouse in the U.S again while my application is pending at USCIS?One more question, I have a son who is 20 now and will turn to 21 this October. I heard that if I ask my spouse to sponsor me under K3/K4 visa will allow my son to come with me to the U.S. is it correct?

The answer is NO, You can not come to visit your spouse while your application is pending. I might be WRONG.

I-130 Journey

USCIS

06-15-2008 : Marriage

08-16-2008 : I-130 Sent

08-18-2008 : I-130 Received

08-22-2008 : I-130 NOA1

02-02-2009 : I-130 NOA2 Approved 164 days from NOA1

NVC

02-04-2009 : Visited my wife for 2 weeks. 02-22-2009 come back to US

02-11-2009 : Received package from NVC

02-23-2009 : AOS Paid $70 (Online)

02-23-2009 : DS-3032 sent (by email)

02-25-2009 : Payment Received from my bank (AOS)

03-04-2009 : NVC has received the Choice of Agent DS-3032 (Online)

03-04-2009 : IV Application Processing Fees $400 (Online)

03-05-2009 : Payment Received from my bank (IV APS)

03-07-2009 : DS-230, and I-864 Sent (by USPS)

03-12-2009 : USPS confirm arrived at NVC for DS-230, & I-864

03-13-2009 : NVC received DS-230, & I-864 (Case in progress)

03-20-2009 : NVC case completed in 1 week NVC completed 03-20-2009.

04-02-2009 : NVC Left to HCM city

04-22-2009 : Medical Passed

05-12-2009 : Received a package IV from HCM Consulate by email

05-18-2009 : My wife got Pink.. yeah..

05-26-2009 : Visa received

06-18-2009 : US Entry!!! Yeah, my wife finally here.

06-29-2009 : Received SSN from snail mail

07-20-2009 : Green card received by mail

09-15-2009 : Writting test from DVM.

11-03-2009 : Driving Test.

01-20-2010 : Working.

04-20-2011 : Submit I751

04-26-2011 : Received I-797 NOA with Receipt Number

05-11-2011 : Received ASC Appointment Notice

06-03-2011 : Biometrics Apts @ 11:00 AM

10-11-2011 : Submit more evidence.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The chances of the CBP officer granting entry after what she went through the last time she entered..it is likely she will get denied re-entry with a pending CR1 petition since the last entry...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

I wouldn't risk travelling with a pending petition..

It would be best to wait it out.. If you file now maybe you will already be there before December. And they will cancel your tourist visa when your cr1 gets approved :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Timeline

I made up my mind that I would fly back to my country and my spouse will submit the paperwork for me after. However, my visa will be expired on December 2011 so can I come to visit my spouse in the U.S again while my application is pending at USCIS?

One more question, I have a son who is 20 now and will turn to 21 this October. I heard that if I ask my spouse to sponsor me under K3/K4 visa will allow my son to come with me to the U.S. is it correct?

Forget the K-3, improved processing at USCIS and NVC have eliminated it.

USCIS WILL tie the I-130 and I-129F together and approve on same date, then NVC WILL close the I-129F and proceed on with the CR-1.

K-3 served only one function, it was derived at a time when I-130 was taking years to get approved, however now since I-130 is approved at same time as I-129F the function of K-3 (Entry to USA and WAITING for I-130 approval) no longer exists, so NVC kills the K-3 in favor of the superior CR-1 or IR-1 visa.

How will the Department of State process my K-3 visa petition?

Important Notice: Effective February 1st, 2010, when both the I-129F petition for a nonimmigrant K visa and the I-130 petition for an IR-1 (or CR-1) spouse of a U.S. citizen visa have been approved by USCIS and sent to the National Visa Center (NVC), the availability as well as the need for a nonimmigrant K-3 visa ends. If the NVC receives both petitions:

• The nonimmigrant K visa will be administratively closed.
  • The application process explained below will not be applicable and cannot be used.
  • The NVC will contact the petitioner and you with instructions for processing your IR-1 (or CR-1) immigrant visa. For more information on the immigrant visa process review the Immigrant Visa for a Spouse webpage.

If the NVC does not receive your I-130 petition and I-129F at the same time, the NVC will process your I-129F petition. Then NVC will send the petition to the embassy or consulate in the country where the marriage took place. If your marriage took place in the U.S., the NVC will send the petition to the embassy or consulate that issues visas in your country of nationality.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...pes_2993.html#4

As for son, there is no way for US citizen to be able to petition for him, Step parent relationship needed to be established prior to 18th birthday, only visa that may have brought son here would be K-1/K-2 Fiancee visa and then son would need to adjust status before age 21.

Only way for son to be able to come to the USA would be for you to file a petition after you arrive and get green-card, hopefully prior to age 21, this would lock in age 20 for the visa priority class.

Edited by YuAndDan

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Your son is not eligible for a derivative visa because you and your husband were married after he turned 18. As YuAndDan stated, he would have been eligible for a K2 if you were applying for a K1, but you're already married so it's too late for that. Even if you weren't already married, it's highly unlikely you could get a K1 visa for yourself and a K2 visa for him, and come to the US and adjust his status before he's 21.

After you get your green card then you can petition for your son. However, he MUST NOT GET MARRIED. There are two classes of visas for a child of a permanent resident. FB2A is for a spouse or for an unmarried child under 21 years old. FB2B is for an unmarried child 21 years old or older. The chances of you getting a green card and submitting a petition for your son before he's 21 years old is practically zero. You simply don't have enough time.

Unlike visas for immediate relatives of US citizens, visas for relatives of permanent residents are strictly rationed. Only about 114 thousand such visas are issued each year in the FB2 category, with no more than 7% being issued in any one country. There is a waiting list for these visas. USCIS will assign a "priority date" to your son's visa petition, which is the date USCIS receives the petition from you. When the priority date becomes current then your son is at the front of the line, and can apply for a visa at the consulate in Saigon. The current priority date for FB2B visas with beneficiary's in Vietnam is April 15, 2003. This means you can expect to wait about 8 years, based on the current USCIS backlog. The wait time may get shorter or longer as the backlog changes. If he gets married during this time then he's no longer eligible for any visa as the married son of a permanent resident.

If you remain married to your US citizen husband then you will be eligible to become a US citizen three years after you get your first green card. At that point, you can have your son's petition promoted to FB1 since he will be the unmarried adult son of a US citizen. That will cut about two years off the waiting time for his priority date to become current. If he gets married then he'd still be eligible for an FB3 as the married adult son of a US citizen, but the wait time would be two years LONGER than the wait time for an unmarried adult son of a permanent resident.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.