bryonm4

Question about brining my wifes brother over

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My wife wants to petition for her brother his wife and there daughter. None have an education and by the time they get here will be in there 60's and not working. I will also be in my 60's and retired.

Will I be responsible for them if they become a public charge?

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F Sent : 2008-03-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-05

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-08-04

Interview Date : 2008-11-06

Interview Result : Denied 2008-12-05

Round 2

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

Marriage : 2009-04-13

I-130 Sent : 2009-04-28

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-04-29

I-130 Approved : 2009-09-09

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-05

Packet 4 Received : 2009-11-13

Interview Date : 2009-12-23

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2010-01-07

POE minneapolis 02-19-10

By my side happy everafter 02-19-10

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My wife wants to petition for her brother his wife and there daughter. None have an education and by the time they get here will be in there 60's and not working. I will also be in my 60's and retired.

Will I be responsible for them if they become a public charge?

You will resposbile as you and you wife will be the primary sponsor. You will most likely have to show prove of medical insurance with for someone in that age bracket could runover 20000 a year. Remember that the brother will never be eglibel for social security as he will not have contributed to it.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hey Bryon. Good to see you again.

If you are a joint sponsor with your wife then yes, you will have responsibility. An I-864 will need to be executed for them just as with your wife's adjustment of status.

As you know there is a long time before that will happen. She can't petition until she becomes a USC citizen. And then it's at least a 10 year wait.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

i agree yes if you are a joint sponsor.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Timeline

Hey Bryon. Good to see you again.

If you are a joint sponsor with your wife then yes, you will have responsibility. An I-864 will need to be executed for them just as with your wife's adjustment of status.

As you know there is a long time before that will happen. She can't petition until she becomes a USC citizen. And then it's at least a 10 year wait.

It's good to see that you are still on here,

Woudln't I be an automatic co sponsor since she is my wife? IF for some reason she were to leave me I would be responible for half of her debt anyways I think that would also include this.

She has been here 1 year and it might be 2 more before she is a citizen. Her brother and his wife are in there 40's and there daughter is 4 years old.

With my retirement I will have enough money for me and my wife but not enough to pay health insurance and take care of 3 more people. I just want to be able to have a happy life with my wife and travel not both of us working 2 jobs until were in our 80's.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Round 2

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

POE minneapolis 02-19-10

Timeline

It's good to see that you are still on here,

Woudln't I be an automatic co sponsor since she is my wife? IF for some reason she were to leave me I would be responible for half of her debt anyways I think that would also include this.

She has been here 1 year and it might be 2 more before she is a citizen. Her brother and his wife are in there 40's and there daughter is 4 years old.

With my retirement I will have enough money for me and my wife but not enough to pay health insurance and take care of 3 more people. I just want to be able to have a happy life with my wife and travel not both of us working 2 jobs until were in our 80's.

If she qualifies on just her income, then you wouldn't be liable based on the I-864. But, assuming that your assets are jointly held, there is exposure there. If you execute an I-864A to be a joint sponsor then you would have an obligation as a sponsor as well.

As this plan comes together a lot of thought needs to go into it so that your in-laws understand that they are going to have to work to support themselves. For example: without paying into the Social Security system they cannot receive any benefits.

The good thing is that there is plenty of time for everyone to discuss the realities of their move here. Right now the wait is shown at 11 years. And that's after petition approval. Your wife is 2 years away from citizenship. So a minimum of 13/14 years until they could be arriving in the US.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

If she qualifies on just her income, then you wouldn't be liable based on the I-864. But, assuming that your assets are jointly held, there is exposure there. If you execute an I-864A to be a joint sponsor then you would have an obligation as a sponsor as well.

As this plan comes together a lot of thought needs to go into it so that your in-laws understand that they are going to have to work to support themselves. For example: without paying into the Social Security system they cannot receive any benefits.

The good thing is that there is plenty of time for everyone to discuss the realities of their move here. Right now the wait is shown at 11 years. And that's after petition approval. Your wife is 2 years away from citizenship. So a minimum of 13/14 years until they could be arriving in the US.

My plan is to bring over the daughter since we are paying for her schooling and then she can sponsor her parents.

I have a house but I didnt put it in her name yet. I wont sign to sponsor 3 people thats just to many and I am getting to old. My wife makes about 8K a year but she is going full time so she will make about 20K a year so that should be enough to sponsor the daughter.

Thanks for the info.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Round 2

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

POE minneapolis 02-19-10

My plan is to bring over the daughter since we are paying for her schooling and then she can sponsor her parents.

I have a house but I didnt put it in her name yet. I wont sign to sponsor 3 people thats just to many and I am getting to old. My wife makes about 8K a year but she is going full time so she will make about 20K a year so that should be enough to sponsor the daughter.

Thanks for the info.

There is no immigrant visa for nieces and nephews.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You could pay for her to go through College here and then she could seek a work visa, get a Green Card/Citizenship and then sponsor her Parents.

Does beg the question how they can afford to live in the US, are they wealthy, will they get a good pension?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

You could pay for her to go through College here and then she could seek a work visa, get a Green Card/Citizenship and then sponsor her Parents.

Does beg the question how they can afford to live in the US, are they wealthy, will they get a good pension?

From what I read, the child is 4 years old - long time til college, work visa and petition of parents...

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So would any other way, this one is more practical.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Either path will takes lots of years, which OP recognized.

Bryon, also look into what it will cost for your neice to attend school in your area. From what I understand (and I may be wrong) you could have to pay tuition at your local public school, as she will not have resident status. You can't adopt her as the parents are alive.

Filed: Other Timeline

Back in 1981, when I was first visiting California, my then girlfriend had a friend in San Francisco who was a big shot at Century 21. He picked us up in his new Rolls Royce and we spent one night in his house. It had an infinity pool that extended from the living area though glass doors to the outdoors and provided a million dollar view over the bay area.

Back then he and some other guy from Century 21 were working on developing China for American retirees, knowing that with declining everything in the US, few people will be able to retire comfortably here, whereas that monthly $1,500 check would go a long way in China.

Without any Medicare, retirement payment, and the need to purchase private health insurance, that Vietnamese couple will need at least $40K per year, more as they get older (can you imagine the health care cost for an 80 year-old?). While I can see moving to the US in order to make money and enjoy things that are not possible in Vietnam, I cannot see bringing old folks to the land of the weakest social net in any developed country, even less if they don't even qualify for Medicare at all. It could costs millions of dollars to pay for their medical bills alone!

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

MY SISTER IS A US CITIZEN FOR ALMOST 30 YEARS AND WOULD LIKE TO ADOPT MY GRAND DAUGHTER AND MY NIECE AGE 11 AND 5 YEARS OLD BUT WHEN THEY ASK THERE ABOUT THIS ONE.. THEY CANT AS THEY ARE BOTH OVER AGE... AS THE ADOPTION AGE IS JUST UP TO 45 YEARS OLD.. THE ARE CAPABLE OF ADOPTING BUT THEIR AGE REQUIREMENTS EXCEED SO ITS A SAD THING.. :crying:

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Back in 1981, when I was first visiting California, my then girlfriend had a friend in San Francisco who was a big shot at Century 21. He picked us up in his new Rolls Royce and we spent one night in his house. It had an infinity pool that extended from the living area though glass doors to the outdoors and provided a million dollar view over the bay area.

Back then he and some other guy from Century 21 were working on developing China for American retirees, knowing that with declining everything in the US, few people will be able to retire comfortably here, whereas that monthly $1,500 check would go a long way in China.

Without any Medicare, retirement payment, and the need to purchase private health insurance, that Vietnamese couple will need at least $40K per year, more as they get older (can you imagine the health care cost for an 80 year-old?). While I can see moving to the US in order to make money and enjoy things that are not possible in Vietnam, I cannot see bringing old folks to the land of the weakest social net in any developed country, even less if they don't even qualify for Medicare at all. It could costs millions of dollars to pay for their medical bills alone!

:thumbs:

OP....Based on ur decision now , it will benefit the little kid In the long run.

Edited by visagrant

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.