ml82

AOS denied and divorce

22 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not really. She could claim abandonment. That he just fled and withdrew the affidavit of support and she was "trapped" with no way to work or leave and all that. Sometimes people use the not filing of paperwork as proof of trying to control (mental abuse).

But she has been denied AOS already. Can she still appeal the decision using VAWA? :unsure:

Our AOS Journey started:

Nov 06, 2010: CS & CQ got married in Las Vegas

Nov 26, 2010: AOS-EAD-AP package sent out

Nov 29, 2010: Package delivered at 1:12pm

Dec 10, 2010: Received text messages from USCIS regarding receipt numbers for AOS, EAD, and AP

Dec 14, 2010: Received three I-797C from mail

Dec 18, 2010: Touched

Jan 05, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (email)

Jan 10, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (hardcopy)

Jan 11, 2011: Sent response to RFE for I-485 (Fedex/UPS do not deliver to PO Box. Only USPS does and it takes 2 days even for Express Post)

Jan 13, 2011: Response to RFE delivered

Jan 14, 2011: Touched

Jan 15, 2011: Touched

Jan 18, 2011: Received Biometric Appointment letter in mail

Jan 21, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Walk-in Successful)

Feb 10, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Originally Scheduled)

Feb 12, 2011: Received 1st text/email for EAD card in production and AP was APPROVED

Feb 17, 2011: Received 2nd text/email for EAD card in production

Feb 18, 2011: Received 3rd text/email for EAD card has been mailed out

Feb 18, 2011: Received AP!!!! YAY!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received EAD!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received letter for 2nd fingerprints :(

Mar 17, 2011: 2nd fingerprints

May 02, 2011: AOS Interview Approved!!!!!!

May 07, 2011: Received "Welcome to America" letter

May 09, 2011: Received Green Card. Yay!!!!!

as1cHvOuM2B0010MDA3MjM5cHN8NDUyOTY1c3xIYXBwaWx5IE1hcnJpZWQ.gif

Filed: Country:
Timeline
But her AOS has been denied already. Wouldn't it be fishy to use VAWA?

Which is why I said "Fraudulently, VAWA."

Sure she's got into a bad spot here with the arranged marriage and it's easy to point fingers at him for either not standing-up to his parents or not being a gentleman and supporting her to get a new life in the US (I'm not doing either) but given the facts we have from the OP's other thread (and assuming they are accurate) there doesn't seem to have been any real abuse or even abandonment here. Of course that doesn't stop her from trying to file on that basis claiming she was abandoned at her in-laws shortly after giving-up her life in her home country.

But she has been denied AOS already. Can she still appeal the decision using VAWA? :unsure:

Why not? Especially when part of the VAWA abuse claim is that the USC Spouse withheld or withdrew support for Adjustment of Status as a form of punitive measure against her (again I'm not saying that is the case here).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Refusing to cooperate with someone's adjustment of status is not a basis, by itself, for a VAWA claim. It's useful evidence when it shows a pattern of abuse. This means they'd have to be actively using the alien's immigration status against them. For example, forcing them to work or subjecting them to cruel treatment while threatening to turn them over to ICE if they report the abuse. Backing out of a marriage and refusing to continue with an immigration process based on that marriage is not abuse.

Abandonment is also not abuse, but it is a basis for divorce in many states. In fact, it would be difficult to claim both abuse and abandonment since an absent spouse isn't capable of doing much to abuse their spouse.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

I am wondering why her AOS was denied. (If you don't want to go into the details of the denial, I understand, but I would like to hear more, if possible, as I my husband and I have just filed AOS paperwork and are concerned about denial).

Also, it sounds like you want to go ahead with the divorce but are hoping there's a way your wife can stay in the U.S. Is there any possibility you can appeal the denial of AOS (and postpone the divorce)?

Postponing the divorce and taking part in her AOS would actually be fraudulent as the marriage is clearly irreparably broken.

Filed: Timeline

Ok, so since the AOS has been denied, she is there illegally? the denial letter that was sent to her doesn't state anything about her having to leave. it does state that she may file a motion to re-open the case if she had enough evidence to show that USCIS made a mistake. i'm not sure if she re-opened the case or not, i don't know what kind of evidence she could present.

anh map, you said she is accruing days.... what does that mean exactly? are you saying that she can stay illegally for as long as she wants? does any agency actually deport her for overstaying?

and as for filing a VAWA, i did not abuse her in anyway. she lives and works with my parents. her original employment card has expired this past october, i'm not sure if it was renewed as i would imagine it couldn't be renewed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Since her AOS was denied she is out of status meaning she has no legal status to remain inside the US. Usually the denial letter states a set period of time (30 days) for the person to voluntarily leave the country with no repercussions. For her to re-open the case she would have had to file within 30 days of the denial letter which I am sure she didn't as she had no grounds.

She can stay in the US as long as she wants but if ICE becomes aware of her she is subject to arrest and deportation as she has had no legal status since the AOS was denied. She is accruing days towards a ban from re-entering the US. More than 180 days means a three year ban, more than 365 days means a 10 year ban, a deportation is almost always a 10 year ban. This means if she leaves the US at any time this ban will kick in and the only way she will be permitted to re-enter the US prior to the expiration of the ban is with a waiver.

Her employment authorization expired the day her AOS was denied despite what it may say on the card. The card was issued based upon her pending AOS and when that was denied there was no basis for her to have employment authorization. She cannot renew the employment card as she has no status to do so.

You may want to discuss this with your parents as they have been housing and employing her.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.