CanadianGirlInLA

Getting married while I still have 1 year left to go on my degree at US school

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey all,

I was wondering what changes for me if my fiance and I applied for my status change while I am still on my F1 visa. My fiance and I met while I was going to school. I have 1.5 years to go on my program. I am paying international student fees right now however if my status changes what would I tell my school? On top of that, I have been living in California for more than a year so would I become a CA resident? Do I pay in state fees or international fees still? Would my working status change? Any links or personal experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

Hey all,

I was wondering what changes for me if my fiance and I applied for my status change while I am still on my F1 visa. My fiance and I met while I was going to school. I have 1.5 years to go on my program. I am paying international student fees right now however if my status changes what would I tell my school? On top of that, I have been living in California for more than a year so would I become a CA resident? Do I pay in state fees or international fees still? Would my working status change? Any links or personal experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if it wasn't clear enough, we are getting married soon so we are looking at next steps of sending in the AOS pkg but would like to know what we need to tell my school.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Yes your status would change from an international student to that of a permanent resident upon approval of a green-card.

I would check with the school's admissions office, some states give resident rates to spouses of a resident without requiring a period of residency, however I am not sure if this would apply before or after getting a green-card.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Hey all,

Sorry if it wasn't clear enough, we are getting married soon so we are looking at next steps of sending in the AOS pkg but would like to know what we need to tell my school.

Just to add to the above answer, some school will let you pay as resident while your application is pending, provided you give them at least a copy of the NOA1, showing that you filed and actually have a case pending for adjustment of status. They might also required a copy of your marriage certificate. However, schools that do this require that you update them as your case advances especially after the interview, because if your green card is not approved, they will revert you back to the status of international student. So, your DSO is your best source of information. Most of them are well informed, unfortunately some don't know exactly how the system work. The school website might give you a head start too

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; you works are wonderful, I know that full well"~Ps 139: 14

....oh, you asked about your working status, too - well, once you file for your adjustment of status to become an immigrant case (as mentioned, you'll loose the F-1 non-immigrant) you at the same time can file for EAD - Employment Authorization Document which will let you go to work without restrictions while your adjustment is pending. Until then you are officially not allowed to work, though if you have/had but been a good citizen and filed taxes, didn't obtain a fake Social Security Number etc. you will get that time forgiven with marriage to a USC

Edited by Maxximus1074

10/13/2010 - Mailed in The Package (AOS, I-765, I-130)

10/17/2010 - USPS confirms delivery to USCIS

10/25/2010 - Check cashed

10/26/2010 - All applications been worked on aka touched

10/28/2010 - NOA1 Receipts for applications received

11/24/2010 - Received appointment for biometrics in the mail for 12/17 *yay*

12/17/2010 - 9.25 a.m. - 9.45 a.m. Biometrics done !!

12/23/2010 - EAD Approved and Card on its way - Email notification received *yay*

01/03/2011 - WOOOHOOO ...EAD Card in Hand!

01/04/2011 - Oh boy....Received Interview Letter today - February 3rd is the day! :)

02/03/2011 - Interview scheduled 12:45 p.m. - out of there before 1:30 p.m. - further review

Coming home, checking for touches at 5:30 p.m. - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED !!!!

Thank you All on Visajourney for your inputs, experiences and thoughts!!!

02/09/2011 - Yup another e-mail saying that my card production was ordered.

02/10/2011 - E-mail notification "Approval letter was sent today"

02/14/2011 - Welcome Letter / Approval NOA and Card (separate envelope) received!!! :D

Late November 2012 (have to look up my receipts ;) - mailed in ROC I-751

12/12/2012 - NOA 1, status extension received

12/18/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter received

01/08/2013 - Biometrics done

Let me share with you my experience as a former F-1 student in California myself.

I came to the US With F-1, got married before the visa expired.

Yes, you will lose your F-1 status since this is a non-immigrant visa and your admission with USCIS becomes an immigrant status applicant.

Last fall I filed my AOS package and also decided to back to school in a different school district.

The online application for the school asks for proof of citizenship or permanent residence status by providing the Alien Registration Number A# or referred me to the international student office to transfer my visa to their school.

Since I haven't had received my NOA1, there was no A# and I received a bill for the enrolled classes charging out of state tuition. After explaining to the Admission office about my situation I was told that I would have to pay out-of state tuition unless I was able to provide a green card. My inquiry with the vice-president of education at the college even lead to the answer that they have to due to state as well as federal laws on how students are classified.

So even being in California for 10 1/2 years and having evidence for that still didn't make them change their mind.

Today I received my actual green card after my AOS was approved not too long ago. I called the admissions and records office to verify the previously given information. Yes, now I am able to enroll with California Residence Tuition pending me providing my green card in their office as well as any documents to proof of residing here for more then a year from the day the semester starts that I intend to enroll. Driver's license, car registration, utility bill etc. ...

....oh, you asked about your working status, too - well, once you file for your adjustment of status to become an immigrant case (as mentioned, you'll loose the F-1 non-immigrant) you at the same time can file for EAD - Employment Authorization Document which will let you go to work without restrictions while your adjustment is pending. Until then you are officially not allowed to work, though if you have/had but been a good citizen and filed taxes, didn't obtain a fake Social Security Number etc. you will get that time forgiven with marriage to a USC

Hope you stay in touch with visajourney, we're happy to give you our thoughts, knowledge and opinions here once you file for AOS :)

10/13/2010 - Mailed in The Package (AOS, I-765, I-130)

10/17/2010 - USPS confirms delivery to USCIS

10/25/2010 - Check cashed

10/26/2010 - All applications been worked on aka touched

10/28/2010 - NOA1 Receipts for applications received

11/24/2010 - Received appointment for biometrics in the mail for 12/17 *yay*

12/17/2010 - 9.25 a.m. - 9.45 a.m. Biometrics done !!

12/23/2010 - EAD Approved and Card on its way - Email notification received *yay*

01/03/2011 - WOOOHOOO ...EAD Card in Hand!

01/04/2011 - Oh boy....Received Interview Letter today - February 3rd is the day! :)

02/03/2011 - Interview scheduled 12:45 p.m. - out of there before 1:30 p.m. - further review

Coming home, checking for touches at 5:30 p.m. - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED !!!!

Thank you All on Visajourney for your inputs, experiences and thoughts!!!

02/09/2011 - Yup another e-mail saying that my card production was ordered.

02/10/2011 - E-mail notification "Approval letter was sent today"

02/14/2011 - Welcome Letter / Approval NOA and Card (separate envelope) received!!! :D

Late November 2012 (have to look up my receipts ;) - mailed in ROC I-751

12/12/2012 - NOA 1, status extension received

12/18/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter received

01/08/2013 - Biometrics done

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.