feanor

How long after the K1 expires

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

OK so I hear once you get married your k1 is expired so how long am I allowed to stay in the country after were married ?

and can i travel outside of the country like for a honeymoon ?

Also what if they deny me permanent residency cause they deny my wife as sponsor even though they approve her for the visa ?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

OK so I hear once you get married your k1 is expired so how long am I allowed to stay in the country after were married ?

Also what if they deny me permanent residency cause they deny my wife as sponsor even though they approve her for the visa ?

Technically the K1 is expired after it is used for the one time entry. You need to file for Advance Parole to go out of the country.

On the matter of what happens if they deny permanent residency, you don't have to go home but you can't stay here. ;)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

When you arrive in the US on your K1 visa your visa is voided. It's a single entry visa. You then have 90 days to marry your USC. You then need to file AOS. If you wish to leave the US (and be able to return) you will need to apply for the AP document. You cannot re-enter the US without the GC or AP document (or another visa). Your AOS application would be cancelled if you leave before your GC is approved UNLESS you have the AP document.

If you're concerned your wife doesn't earn enough you should start looking into getting a joint sponsor. If you are denied you will be given the chance to appeal but of course you will STILL need to find someone to be a joint sponsor, or she will need to earn more money (or have more assets). If you are unable to get a joint sponsor and your wife does not meet the requirements then you will be unable to successfully AOS and you will eventually be instructed to leave.

As a K1 you only need to MARRY in the 90 days. There is no requiremnt to file AOS by a certain date but you ARE out of status once your 90 days are up and you can run into issues with ICE if caught out of status. If you wife needs more time to earn more money to boost her income you could wait to file AOS... try not to wait too long though because you will be unable to leave the US, and unable to work until you file AOS (and get the AP and EAD document). If you wait too long the AP document will be useless because youa re accumulating out of status days once the I-94 expires and 180 days out-of-status gets a 3 year ban if you leave the US.. even with AP

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.