NinoniAndBoosBoos

**Buffalo Airport or Toronto Pearson to Visit Fiance**

37 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I used to travel both ways and had no trouble either way.

Actually, travelling through Buffalo with your sister should be no trouble. I went across once with a friend and her Mom once (who were off to go shopping) and they were droppnig me off at the airport and we just said they were going to drop me off at the airport and then go shopping and that was it.

Either way, try to have as much proof that you're coming back as you can, even if it is just a return ticket.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

I was looking at prices, I can't believe how much cheaper the costs are if I fly out of Buffalo WOW!!! amazing..thanks Saphhiredreams..(F) Happy V. Day....

event.png

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was looking at prices, I can't believe how much cheaper the costs are if I fly out of Buffalo WOW!!! amazing..thanks Saphhiredreams..(F) Happy V. Day....

i've crossed at the various bridges in the niagara falls/buffalo as well as windsor/port huron area at least 30 times from 2004-2009, for day shopping trips, as well as flights out of detroit or buffalo. however, this was before i was engaged or dating my now husband (the US citizen). they never once asked for any ties to canada, any airline ticket or hotel itineraries, and never gave me any trouble. it seems to me (and others can correct me if i am wrong) that the land border crossings are more lenient than pearson airport.

once i started dating my husband in mid 2009, i flew on a regular basis (every 3-6 weeks) through pearson airport. i never once got denied entry, and only once got asked for proof of ties to canada. i always had a folder with my proof of ties (employment letter, employment badge, rental lease, phone and internet bills, etc etc). during the K1 process, i flew through pearson at least 5 times, and never once got asked for any proof of ties, or even to show a return airline ticket. that doesn't mean i wasn't nervous going through each time...for what it's worth, i flew through terminal 1 each time except for once when i flew threw terminal 3.

good luck! i think it is essential you carry around a folder of ties to canada (strong ones!), always have a return ticket home, and a copy of any k1 documents (NOA1's, NOA2's...i carried a copy of the entire envelope :)). follow the advice here...it's better to be over-prepared rather than underprepared. i do wonder if the land crossings are a little bit less stringent than pearson however...

Edited by lovetimhortons

Timeline

i've crossed at the various bridges in the niagara falls/buffalo as well as windsor/port huron area at least 30 times from 2004-2009, for day shopping trips, as well as flights out of detroit or buffalo. however, this was before i was engaged or dating my now husband (the US citizen). they never once asked for any ties to canada, any airline ticket or hotel itineraries, and never gave me any trouble. it seems to me (and others can correct me if i am wrong) that the land border crossings are more lenient than pearson airport.

once i started dating my husband in mid 2009, i flew on a regular basis (every 3-6 weeks) through pearson airport. i never once got denied entry, and only once got asked for proof of ties to canada. i always had a folder with my proof of ties (employment letter, employment badge, rental lease, phone and internet bills, etc etc). during the K1 process, i flew through pearson at least 5 times, and never once got asked for any proof of ties, or even to show a return airline ticket. that doesn't mean i wasn't nervous going through each time...for what it's worth, i flew through terminal 1 each time except for once when i flew threw terminal 3.

good luck! i think it is essential you carry around a folder of ties to canada (strong ones!), always have a return ticket home, and a copy of any k1 documents (NOA1's, NOA2's...i carried a copy of the entire envelope :)). follow the advice here...it's better to be over-prepared rather than underprepared. i do wonder if the land crossings are a little bit less stringent than pearson however...

How interesting, your post is really helpful. I believe I will take my flight out of Buffalo to get to California, I now have to research taking a bus to Buffalo, which might result in more questions. A fellow VJ'er indicated his wife, while crossing over in a bus, was scrutinized quite harshly. thanks for your post, I can only imagine how nervous I might be, but I will definetely be overprepared than underprepared.

event.png

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish

Timeline

booked flight via Buffalo for next Tuesday..pray it goes smoothly. I'll keep you updated. Cheers

event.png

Timeline

why would it be rude? I read the word "boarder" in the original message several times, and as a non native English speaker I was sincerely wondering if the OP meant something other than the line between two countries. I've never been to Buffalo, what do I know if there is something called "Buffalo boarder" over there?

I wish the administrators would delete this post by Newlyweds. : it serves no purpose to those in need of good ol'fashioned advice, and Newlyweds rebuttal on his/her defence is mute.

event.png

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hi Everyone, ,,made it through the border at the Rainbow Bridge: thank you for all your assistance. I had all the documents ready and they Immigration officer was quite surprised I was so effecient. It was a little scary that they made us leave the car and go into the office for further discussions, but I was ready for all their questions and having the proof of ties to Canada really helped:

-letter from my bank manager

- letter of termination from my company

- letter from dentist regarding my next appointment

-letter from my Financial advisor on our next meeting

all the letters from USCIS to date.

The immigration officer asked who told me to have such an organized folder, I said I wanted to be prepared with any issues that might arise with visiting my Fiance during the application process..he was young and quite formal but did warm up when I asked him how long it might take after we are married, to become a bone-fide US citizen,..he chuckled..

Thanks everyone...you too can make it over to visit during the process...

P.S. the best thing was getting our approval letter while we were together and receiving the NVC letter and consulate packet indicating our next steps...YIPPEEEE

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.