lovetimhortons

Travel During AOS

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone, myself and my husband are planning a trip to Hawaii next month. I am not sure whether to book my plane ticket in my married name or maiden name. I was hoping someone who was recently in the same or similar situation as myself could let me know what to do! I am also thinking I could probably do either name and it would be fine..., but would prefer my travel be as hassle-free as possible...

Yes, I plan to take all my documents on my trip: Canadian passport, Ontario driver's license, US state driver's license, all NOA1's, and if they arrive in mail before then, my EAD and AP, and of course, my marriage certificate. My I-94 will be expired by the time of the trip.

My situation: I moved to the US from Canada in November on a K1 visa, married in December, and filed for AOS. So far, I have my US state driver's license (maiden name, but expires just prior to travel, and am planning on renewing in married name once I receive my EAD in mail, so will likely have it before trip, but no guarantees), NOA-1s (EAD/AP/AOS) in married name, EAD and AP (married name) were approved last week (so will receive before travel), and these are all in my married name. My Canadian passport and Ontario driver's license (expires 2014) are all in my maiden name. My AOS was transferred to CSC several weeks ago, so not expecting it before our trip.

Looking at the TSA website, as well as the travel agency and airline website, it says to book plane tickets under the name your documents are in. I guess in this situation, it's a little confusing since Canadian provincial drivers licenses (according to the website) as well as Canadian passports are also acceptable documents for US domestic travel.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/acceptable_documents.shtm

Easiest situation would be to get my US state driver's license renewed in my married name (need my EAD to renew past I-94 expiry date) and just use that for ID, so hoping that will happen. Maybe I'm just making it more confusing for myself.

Thank you in advance for any answers!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

For domestic travel you can use either name as long as you can provide a photo ID with that name on it. For international travel use name as it is shown in passport.

Moving to working/traveling during immigrations forum...

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

For ALL travel you only need it in your "government issued ID name", not specifically passport. For me this was my GC as it was in my married name. if your ID is in your maiden then travel in maiden. If you have ID in your married (drivers licence for example) then you can travel in your married.

Timeline

hello thanks for your answers.

problem is that half my ID (canadian passport and provincial driver's license) are in my maiden name, whereas my US state driver's license, although currently in my maiden name, expires a few weeks before travel. my EAD should be on its way in mail, but i guess there are no guarantees that i will be able to renew my driver's license (in my married name) before travel (ie, time for EAD to get to me + go to DMV + get driver's license in mail from DMV). and my immigration documents (nothing with a picture on it yet) are in my married name.

sounds like simplest thing for me may just be to use my maiden name.

i just gave myself a headache and stopped mid-way while booking the tickets :( i guess this is the first time having to even think about this while booking airline tickets!

Edited by lovetimhortons

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

hello thanks for your answers.

problem is that half my ID (canadian passport and provincial driver's license) are in my maiden name, whereas my US state driver's license, although currently in my maiden name, expires a few weeks before travel. my EAD should be on its way in mail, but i guess there are no guarantees that i will be able to renew my driver's license (in my married name) before travel (ie, time for EAD to get to me + go to DMV + get driver's license in mail from DMV). and my immigration documents (nothing with a picture on it yet) are in my married name.

sounds like simplest thing for me may just be to use my maiden name.

i just gave myself a headache and stopped mid-way while booking the tickets :( i guess this is the first time having to even think about this while booking airline tickets!

Glad you stppped and asked. Booking with married name, and the not having ID in the name can cause problems at the airport, I have seen people pay $100 to get the tickets re-issued in maiden name.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

Glad you stppped and asked. Booking with married name, and the not having ID in the name can cause problems at the airport, I have seen people pay $100 to get the tickets re-issued in maiden name.

thank you yuanddan. i almost booked in my married name, but then was like..."wait a second." :) glad that VJ exists to help out with these types of questions!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.