30 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Yep,

just as I thought: Pandora's box!

Frank, Adjustment of Status for people who overstayed their Visa Waiver has become somewhat of Russian Roulette. Unfortunately, he has no choice but to roll the dice. He needs to use his Italian passport for AOS as that is the one he used to lawfully enter the US, and the I-94W documents the fact .

He can hope for the best but needs to be prepared to be disappointed. Others will explain more in detail (I am on a tiny netbook and am typing with one oversized finger), and he needs to understand what is at stake here: not only a denial but also a deportation order and a 10-year bar requiring two waivers in order to come back eventually.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yep,

just as I thought: Pandora's box!

Frank, Adjustment of Status for people who overstayed their Visa Waiver has become somewhat of Russian Roulette. Unfortunately, he has no choice but to roll the dice. He needs to use his Italian passport for AOS as that is the one he used to lawfully enter the US, and the I-94W documents the fact .

He can hope for the best but needs to be prepared to be disappointed. Others will explain more in detail (I am on a tiny netbook and am typing with one oversized finger), and he needs to understand what is at stake here: not only a denial but also a deportation order and a 10-year bar requiring two waivers in order to come back eventually.

What will the AOS denial be for?

Unless there was some sort of misrepresentation made at the time of entry...

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

What will the AOS denial be for?

Unless there was some sort of misrepresentation made at the time of entry...

"He entered the US over 2 years ago without a visa" implies to me an overstay with late AOS from VWP.

Do I really have to explain this?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

Timeline

"He entered the US over 2 years ago without a visa" implies to me an overstay with late AOS from VWP.

Do I really have to explain this?

overstays are forgiven... do i have to explain this?

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

The current trend in some districts is to not approve or to outright deny AOS applied for after the 90 VWP stay. I don't know the specific courts/districts which are doing it but there are a few threads floating around where it has happened.

Seems USCIS is catching on the the immigration via VWP express.

Edited by belinda63

Payxibka,

apparently you have been in a coma or in a galaxy far away for at least the past 5 or 6 months. Otherwise you would not insist of making a fool out of yourself. I simply refuse to educate you about the "latest" and even not so late developments in Visa Waiver overstay cases, but if you invest about 15 minutes of your time you can get up to speed easily.

It's 2011 now, and what worked like a charm in mid 2011 now only works in the most unusual cases, lately once in Chicago when VJ member Lisa got approved. Other USCIS field offices will either outright deny AOS, often combined with a deportation order signed for by the adjudicating I.O., or put them on indefinite hold.

Here is some reading:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/15/nyregion/15visa.html

and the latest VJ denial case:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/292498-i-485-denied/

We have discussed this in great detail in this forum.

Bob's question was sound.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Here is some reading:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/15/nyregion/15visa.html

and the latest VJ denial case:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/292498-i-485-denied/

We have discussed this in great detail in this forum.

Bob's question was sound.

from what I read the overstay was not the issue for the denial but a timely filing....

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

from what I read the overstay was not the issue for the denial but a timely filing....

Indeed! As in: "your 90 days are up and you have not filed in a timely manner and are, therefore, in overstay." Same thing, you see? You have 90 days in the US and you need to file (and have USCIS receive) your application/petition BEFORE the 90 days are up. If you fail do to so, you are no longer legally present in the US. Thus, some USCIS offices argue, USCIS no longer has jurisdiction over you because your application would be equivalent to a request to stop deportation (or stop removal proceedings) - a legal request which a VWP visitor signs away when they enter the US as a VWP.

Edited by mof

Timeline

Indeed! As in: "your 90 days are up and you have not filed in a timely manner and are, therefore, in overstay." Same thing, you see? You have 90 days in the US and you need to file (and have USCIS receive) your application/petition BEFORE the 90 days are up. If you fail do to so, you are no longer legally present in the US. Thus, some USCIS offices argue, USCIS no longer has jurisdiction over you because your application would be equivalent to a request to stop deportation (or stop removal proceedings) - a legal request which a VWP visitor signs away when they enter the US as a VWP.

oh... far from the same thing.... the overstay was not the reason

YMMV

oh... far from the same thing.... the overstay was not the reason

Yes it was. We have discussed this many many times. The very short answer is that a VWP entrant waives their rights to an immigration hearing and that once they overstay, they are immediately deportable. Therefore, applying for AOS after your overstay is essentially asking for a stay of removal, as mof was trying to explain. There is a trend about a year old that USCIS offices are taking this approach and either denying AOS from an overstayed VWP or putting them on indefinite hold. People who enter with a valid visa do not have this problem.

Anyway, I don't believe a lengthy discussion of this issue belongs in this thread.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

The current trend in some districts is to not approve or to outright deny AOS applied for after the 90 VWP stay. I don't know the specific courts/districts which are doing it but there are a few threads floating around where it has happened.

Seems USCIS is catching on the the immigration via VWP express.

Enough with the VWP express snipes.It's annoying. :bonk:

Payxibka,

apparently you have been in a coma or in a galaxy far away for at least the past 5 or 6 months. Otherwise you would not insist of making a fool out of yourself. I simply refuse to educate you about the "latest" and even not so late developments in Visa Waiver overstay cases, but if you invest about 15 minutes of your time you can get up to speed easily.

It's 2011 now, and what worked like a charm in mid 2011 now only works in the most unusual cases, lately once in Chicago when VJ member Lisa got approved. Other USCIS field offices will either outright deny AOS, often combined with a deportation order signed for by the adjudicating I.O., or put them on indefinite hold.

Lisa's case wasnt unusual. She never mentioned any special situation with her case other than she was very nervous. :hehe:

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Ohmygoodness. The above is so wrong. Payxibka is correct. It has to be the passport of the country he entered the US with, otherwise they're going to question his entry. You cannot change passports to exit a country. Likewise, you cannot change passports to adjust status.

As an aside, my Canadian passport didn't confuse them at all when I filed, even though I am from the UK. It shows the place of birth right on the passport.

YOUR comment is completely incorrect it does NOT have to be the passport they entered with. I entered on my UK passport and used my Aussie passport to apply for the K1. I will assume you'll think this is a different situation but it's not. Your passport simply proves entry with it's entry stamp, and it's a COPY of that that they require.

When I did mine I took a copy of my passport with the entry stamp page. Had zero issues and in fact was told my UK passport was irrelevant to the process. Just like my ticket stubs were just proof of entry so was my passport. You can PICK your passport to use. I would have used my Aussie passport to AOS within the US if I had chosen that path, though I entered with UK.

**Edit - You CAN change passport to exits and in fact I was FORCED to. I entered with UK and was returning to Australia. The airline refused to accept my UK passport because I needed an Aussie visa and it had none so they used my Aussie passport. When I stated "I thought I had to leave on the passport I entered with" they assured me that was not the case, that I only needed to return the I-94 and that I should use the passport with the appropriate visa (or passport that didn't require one).

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Hello,

If a person immigrated to the US with an Italian passport ( no visa tourist visa required) and married an American but he was born in Ecuador, which nacionality should he use to apply for his temporary resident card? Does he have to leave the country?

OP - your profile states Miami as your home.

Here is a thread that lists the court districts currently denying AOS: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/292814-what-sates-have-been-denying-visa-waiver-overstays/ Florida is in the 11th which isn't in the list of currently denying so you SHOULD be okay but like Bob said, it's still a risk you should be aware of.

Timeline

YOUR comment is completely incorrect it does NOT have to be the passport they entered with. I entered on my UK passport and used my Aussie passport to apply for the K1. I will assume you'll think this is a different situation but it's not. Your passport simply proves entry with it's entry stamp, and it's a COPY of that that they require.

When I did mine I took a copy of my passport with the entry stamp page. Had zero issues and in fact was told my UK passport was irrelevant to the process. Just like my ticket stubs were just proof of entry so was my passport. You can PICK your passport to use. I would have used my Aussie passport to AOS within the US if I had chosen that path, though I entered with UK.

**Edit - You CAN change passport to exits and in fact I was FORCED to. I entered with UK and was returning to Australia. The airline refused to accept my UK passport because I needed an Aussie visa and it had none so they used my Aussie passport. When I stated "I thought I had to leave on the passport I entered with" they assured me that was not the case, that I only needed to return the I-94 and that I should use the passport with the appropriate visa (or passport that didn't require one).

You are mixing apples and oranges... You visited on your UK passport... not an issue... You got your K-1 on your Aussie passport and that is the passport you used on your most recent entry. That is the one the US has your current status recorded under. That is the passport you would use on your AOS form because it is the one showing the entry stamp. Other than that the passport is inconsequential when applying for AOS.

As for departures... the US does not give a rats @ss what passport you show.... When departing the USA you do NOT go through any passport control. The airline employees are NOT the CBP, USCIS or any other agency of the US government.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.