Chris M

Get a international driver's license before coming to the US???

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey all. So Tanya and I were talking about things to bring, and she brought up her driver's license. She has a Russian driver's license, but she was asking about getting an international driver's license. She read somewhere that having an international license might make it easier to get a license here in the US. Anyone have any experience with this?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hey all. So Tanya and I were talking about things to bring, and she brought up her driver's license. She has a Russian driver's license, but she was asking about getting an international driver's license. She read somewhere that having an international license might make it easier to get a license here in the US. Anyone have any experience with this?

There is no such thing as an International Driver's Licence. There is an Int'l Driver's Permit, which is just a translation of her Russian License. Alla did do that when she was in Russia, and in Illinois (it's all state-specific) could have used that until her I-94 expired (90 days after POE) but......

I couldn't get any auto insurance for her unless I paid like $400 a month.......so it was useless. We did get her state ID card and then she studied and took the written exam and got her State Driver's Permit (had to drive only with another licensed driver) and then a few months later, took the driver's road test and got her DL.

I'd say it's not worth it unless she has a real need to drive immediately and your state will recognize it.....AND...you can obtain insurance for her. All companies would only insure her once she obtained her DL.

Phil

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Check what the rules are in your particular state. My husband (UK) was able to drive for 6 months without a NH license. NH doesn't do learners permits (odd I know) so he just had to be with me the whole time. NH also doesn't require insurance so that didn't bump up our money much. We would study the manual every night and whenever we went someplace local he drove just so he could get used to driving on the right side of the road. He passed his first time...but still thinks we're all a bunch of crazy "Yanks" over here.

10/26/03 Met in Yahoo chat room
06-2004 Glyn flies to Boston for 2 week holiday with me in White Mountains
06/07/2006- HE PROPOSES!!
12/13/2006- Glyn and Simon the best man fly in for wedding.
December 16,2006- Happiest day of my life
12/25/2006- Best and worst Christmas ever. Glyn flies back to England at 6 pm Christmas Night.
02/19/2007- UK spousal visa approved in NY after only 4 days.
March 2,2007- Reunited in England with Glyn.
01/21/2008-mailed I-130 to USCIS in London
01/24/2008-NOA1
04/13/2008-Panic. RFE received
April 17, 2008-Mailed off again.
April 22, 2008-NOA2 received dated April 21, 2008.
April 26, 2008-Packet 3 received
April 28, 2008-Mailed off DS-230
May06,2008-Packet 3 sent
May 08, 2008-Medical scheduled
May 22,2008-Packet 4 received
June 03,2008-Interview APPROVED!!!!!

June 04, 2008-Visa in hand
June 20, 2008-Shippers come for our things.
June 25, 2008-Flying to the USA
November 15, 2010-Sent off VERY late I-751 along with many prayers.
04/09/2011-10 year GC arrives in mail.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued

04/16/2013-I-130 sent off-----04/19/2013 NOA1

05/15/2013-NOA2

Never received packet 3 although it was mailed to us on May 29th

07/17/2013-Sent off packet 3 after finally getting ALL our documents together

08/19/2013-Medical scheduled (there were earlier appointments but unfortunately, we couldn't get there for them due to hubby's work)

09/24/2013-Interview APPROVED

11/01/2013-POE BOSTON

01/13/2014-10 Year green card received

03/09/2019- Sent I-130 to Chicago lock box for step-son

03/20/2019- NOA 1

08/10/2019-NOA 2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I see your local office is in PA, So I'm guessing you live in PA. In PA, the law is that she can drive here for up to 1 year with her Russian license and an international drivers permit. Of course you have to check with your car insurance and make sure it covers her on your car. My husband used his UK license when he got here to drive my mother's car and my mother's insurance said that he was covered (that was Allstate). But the international drivers permit doesn't make it easier to get a license. I'm not sure if you can get a license here before she gets EAD. I'm pretty sure if you try before AOS/EAD, They'll only give her one valid until the I-94 expires, and also you have to have a SSN before getting a license.

As for the International Drivers Permit, The only purpose for it is to translate her Russian license to English. My husband didn't get the permit as his license was already in English.

flag45.gif Damian & Kelly 1502.gif

Rugby, England >> Harrisburg, PA.

Summer 2005 -- Met on Pokerstars.com

June 15th, 2006 -- Met in Person

Feb 1st, 2008 -- Filed I-129F

May 2nd, 2008 -- Visa Interview = Approved. (91days)

May 27th, 2008 -- Damian moves to America!

July 23rd - 30th, 2008 -- Damian's Mum Comes to the US for our wedding.

July 25th, 2008 -- Wedding Day!

March 16th, 2009 -- AOS Sent

May 8th, 2009 -- EAD & AP Approved (51days)

July 14th, 2009 -- AOS Approved!! (118days)

July 21st, 2009 -- Green Card Received (125days)

No RFEs the whole process :) All done myself.

December 4th - 30th, 2009 -- Visited England

April 8th - 30th, 2010 -- Damian's Brother visits us here in PA.

January 19th, 2010 -- Damian got his PA license.

December 10th - 19th, 2010 -- Visited England

September 16th - 30th, 2011 -- Damian's Parents came to visit us here in PA.

June 1st, 2011 -- Mailed ROC to Vermont.

February 21st, 2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

April 14th, 2012 -- N-400 Sent to Dallas Lockbox

November 26th, 2012 – Damian Became a US Citizen!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

No it does not help at all. Yes I have an international permit too and can drive with it for 12 months but it has no bearing on getting a license here in the US. I still can't get my Georgia license because the system wont accept me I am level 3 impending more ID waiting for GC

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

It's just good if she is going to drive right away, and yes - it's a good idea to check the rues in your state. I have a Russian lisence and an international permit, but i was only allowed to drive in MD for 2 months last summer. And in MD the rule is that if out-of-country lisence is 18 months or older, it's possible to get MD lisence after taking driving test, if it's less then 18 months - then you can only get provisional lisence at first.

The rules are different for every state though, so the best thing is checking local DMV website.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yes and no or maybe. Check with your state. MOST states will honor a Russian or international drivers license for a limited period. Vermont was 60 days. alla had one (she must have bribed someone for it) and we used it as her "learners permit". Vermont doe snot require a green card or EAD to get a drivers license so she got her drivers license before her green card, and within the 60 days validity of the international license.

Check your state laws and see if it will be useful for her.

It will likely have NO affect on getting a license here. Alla still had to take the road test.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

What is really important to bring for some states is a certification (official) that specifies how many years she has had a license.

My wife did not have such history and now she pays almost three times what I pay in insurance, despite having an older and cheaper car. She'll pay that much, even without accidents or tickets, for a few years. But a friend who brought her license history pays as much as I do, saving her thousands of dollars.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

What is really important to bring for some states is a certification (official) that specifies how many years she has had a license.

My wife did not have such history and now she pays almost three times what I pay in insurance, despite having an older and cheaper car. She'll pay that much, even without accidents or tickets, for a few years. But a friend who brought her license history pays as much as I do, saving her thousands of dollars.

It's usually written right on the lisence in Russia - not the issue date, but actually the year when a person got their 1st lisence.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Insurance here has a lot to do with age, not just years/experience. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how much insurance was for my husband with no history. Once he drove here for 6 months, with a PA license, it dropped $40 a month and after a year of driving it dropped another $20. Here in PA it's a must.

But as for my husband when he first got here, my mother's insurance said they'd cover him without adding him to the policy. They said that if he has the car owners permission then he's covered on her insurance with his UK license. Now, my mother was honest with her insurance and told them everything, and since it'd only be a year, they were very understanding. That was Allstate as I said before. But my Brother-in-law came to visit, he had his UK license and he wanted to drive our car, we had progressive at the time, and they said he could drive/be covered up to 12 times without adding him to the policy. I'm not sure how they'd know he drove more than 12 times, but that was their rule.

flag45.gif Damian & Kelly 1502.gif

Rugby, England >> Harrisburg, PA.

Summer 2005 -- Met on Pokerstars.com

June 15th, 2006 -- Met in Person

Feb 1st, 2008 -- Filed I-129F

May 2nd, 2008 -- Visa Interview = Approved. (91days)

May 27th, 2008 -- Damian moves to America!

July 23rd - 30th, 2008 -- Damian's Mum Comes to the US for our wedding.

July 25th, 2008 -- Wedding Day!

March 16th, 2009 -- AOS Sent

May 8th, 2009 -- EAD & AP Approved (51days)

July 14th, 2009 -- AOS Approved!! (118days)

July 21st, 2009 -- Green Card Received (125days)

No RFEs the whole process :) All done myself.

December 4th - 30th, 2009 -- Visited England

April 8th - 30th, 2010 -- Damian's Brother visits us here in PA.

January 19th, 2010 -- Damian got his PA license.

December 10th - 19th, 2010 -- Visited England

September 16th - 30th, 2011 -- Damian's Parents came to visit us here in PA.

June 1st, 2011 -- Mailed ROC to Vermont.

February 21st, 2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

April 14th, 2012 -- N-400 Sent to Dallas Lockbox

November 26th, 2012 – Damian Became a US Citizen!!!

Insurance is what gets you. However, if you're married (which you will be) and you're adding a 2nd car onto an existing policy, it really shouldn't go up all that much. Adding my wife and a new car with full-coverage only added about $40/month onto our policy.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Insurance is what gets you. However, if you're married (which you will be) and you're adding a 2nd car onto an existing policy, it really shouldn't go up all that much. Adding my wife and a new car with full-coverage only added about $40/month onto our policy.

I would say that is about right, I think it added about $40 per month, which is to say it "more than doubled" but it was to add another car and another person. They did mention that she was an "inexperienced driver"

At any rate, it is one of the cheaper expense increases you will encounter. :lol: Barely worth mentioning.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I shouldn't make any difference. As long as she has a proof of legal presence in US she's going to take the same 5 min. drive around the block and she's done. The test is a lot easier in US, it'll be a breeze.

bzYip3.png

May 2004- we meet!

09/27/2008- we are married!

03/05/2009- back to Russia for 2-year HRR

02/17/2010- I-130 sent to USCIS

03/01/2010- NOA1

06/02/2010- NOA2

06/09/2010- our case is at NVC!

06/12/2010- receive DS-3032 and I-864 bill

06/19/2010- I-864 bill is paid

06/25/2010- mailed DS-3032 to NVC

07/15/2010- received Immigrant Visa Application Processing Fee Bill Invoice

07/20/2010- Immigrant Visa Application Processing Fee is paid (check cleared)

09/20/2010- call NVC and find out that we can start work on I864 and DS230 packets

02/12/2011- AOS (I-864) packet is mailed to NVC

02/14/2011- NVC receives AOS (I-864) packet

03/06/2011- YAY! Finally, the 2 year HRR is fulfilled![/font]

03/07/2011- IV packet is mailed to NVC

04/07/2011- receive a letter from NVC requesting detailed information regarding the circumstances of my 1999 J-1 visa

04/09/2011- we mail the requested info to NVC along with proof that 2-year HRR has been fulfilled

04/30/2011- Check with NVC- get message "Your case was completed on April 27th. Please allow 8 weeks for further instructions"

05/17/2011- receive notification from NVC: interview scheduled for June 1st!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.