Ban Hammer

No love for Valentine's Day in Russia

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

MOSCOW (Reuters) – Not everybody in Russia is in love with Valentine's Day.

Authorities in Belgorod province are urging schools and other state institutions to refrain from celebrations marking the heart-shaped holiday, seen by some conservative Russians as a unhealthy foreign phenomenon.

The initiative is part of a recent directive on "measures to provide for spiritual security," which calls on officials to ban Valentine's Day and Halloween celebrations in educational and cultural centers in the province, Russian media reported.

"The very atmosphere of these holidays does not foster the formation of spiritual and moral values in youth, and holding them primarily benefits commercial organizations," RIA quoted provincial government consultant Grigory Bolotnikov as saying.

The directive was signed by the Belgorod governor's top deputy and "blessed" by the province's Russian Orthodox bishop, the state-run news agency said.

Many nightclubs and other businesses in the province 600 km (380 miles) south of Moscow, have also been urged not to plan any special events for the February 14 holiday, according to RIA.

The dominant Russian Orthodox Church has grown increasingly powerful since the collapse of the officially atheist Soviet Union in 1991 and enjoys close ties with the Kremlin leadership.

Its efforts to influence education and secular life have drawn criticism from rights groups and members of minority faiths.

Western-style holidays such as Valentine's Day and Halloween have also gained popularity since the Soviet collapse opened up Russia to the world.

link

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Interesting thanks for sharing :)

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

I don't like it either. We have 8 March coming up, so why have another holiday?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't like it either. We have 8 March coming up, so why have another holiday?

Last October I was talking with Olga on the phone while she was shopping. I asked what she was shopping for and she told me she needed a dracula costume for her 13y/o son for the Halloween party they were to have at school! Seems for the last 5 years they have begun celebrating Halloween in Kazan. No door-to-door trick-or-treating yet. They seem to want everything western! :lol:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Every year there is a massive discussion on "do we have to celebrate Valentine's" in Russia, it's a controversial issue. In 2008 they even created "Russian Valentine" - Day of Peter and Fevronia :innocent:

Young people like me, raised in 1990-s, are used to celebrate Valentines though.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Last October I was talking with Olga on the phone while she was shopping. I asked what she was shopping for and she told me she needed a dracula costume for her 13y/o son for the Halloween party they were to have at school! Seems for the last 5 years they have begun celebrating Halloween in Kazan. No door-to-door trick-or-treating yet. They seem to want everything western! :lol:

Alla thought is was wierd and cannot believe children go dooor to door "begging" for candy. She wanted to why people had "these horrible dolls" (scarecrows) in fornt of their house. :lol:

She likes Valentines Day and any reason at all to buy her gifts. :P

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

That is interesting what you say about Kazan. I have a very good friend who is teaching English in Kazan right now. He said that when he discussed Halloween with his students they didn't like it. They could not understand all this emphasis on ghosts, ghouls, death and other morbid characters. Obviously they have never seen a little princess or ninja turtle come to the door saying,"Trick or Treat". For what it's worth, my wife still refuses to hand out candy to the kids and doesn't understand the whole thing.

Regarding the Valentine's Day celebration, it is way overblown here. A simple expression of love should be sufficient, but it's not. :angry: On TV they make it seem like you don't love your woman unless you are spending money for some useless piece of jewelry. :help:

As for me, I always cover my bases with flowers and chocolate. As the saying goes, "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar".

So, who wants more flies. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

On TV they make it seem like you don't love your woman unless you are spending money for some useless piece of jewelry. :help:

Diamonds. That'll shut her up.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Alla thought is was wierd and cannot believe children go dooor to door "begging" for candy.

Why? Kids go door to door begging for candy on Christmas Eve in some FSU countries.

That is interesting what you say about Kazan. I have a very good friend who is teaching English in Kazan right now. He said that when he discussed Halloween with his students they didn't like it. They could not understand all this emphasis on ghosts, ghouls, death and other morbid characters.

That seems weird for me... since i am a student from Russia and none of that seems hard to understand for me and i'm used to a lot of people celebrating Halloween in Russia. Maybe it is that way in Kazan, because of the influence of Islam in the region. As far as I know, muslim people are more opposed to holidays like Halloween or Valentine's than Orthodox people.

Timeline

Why? Kids go door to door begging for candy on Christmas Eve in some FSU countries.

You are mixing up the culture. I would think it is strange for children to do that on Christmas Eve, because we do not do that on Christmas Eve. I would not think it is strange on Halloween. That some children do it on Christmas Eve in some former FSU countries is no reason for Alla to think it is reasonable to do so here on Halloween.

You are way too logical. :lol:

Gary And Alla

Timeline

You are way too logical. :lol:

hahaha :rofl: maybe 'girl' logical.

i just think who cares when they do it, if they do it anyway. people in some countries eat spiders or worms and don't think it's weird or disgusting :)

Timeline

hahaha :rofl: maybe 'girl' logical.

i just think who cares when they do it, if they do it anyway. people in some countries eat spiders or worms and don't think it's weird or disgusting :)

Alla would think eating spiders and worms is disgusting AND wierd.

But yes, logic does not always enter into her thinking and it may be that she is Ukrainian or may be it is just that she is a woman (some of each I think)

She probably would say the same about me, but she would be wrong. I am neither Ukrainian nor a woman.

Gary And Alla

They could not understand all this emphasis on ghosts, ghouls, death and other morbid characters.

How can you ward off the evil eye if you invite all those nasty things into your life?

Diamonds. That'll shut her up.

For at least an hour.

But yes, logic does not always enter into her thinking and it may be that she is Ukrainian or may be it is just that she is a woman (some of each I think)

And so? Voowat?

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.