Barbara J

Georgia Drivers License.

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Went again for my license today and I still can't get it.:crying: I am now category 3 pending more ID with USCIS. I am in Augusta Georgia and I have heard others have been able to get theirs with EAD which I have but I rang today the service number and he said it sounds like my EAD has not been recognized and that my case is still as a K1 not an AOS pending. He said to make an info pass and go to Atlanta to see if the system has been updated :huh:. Not going to go 2 hour drive for a 5 min chat plus I have to get my hubbie to take a day off work. I will just wait for my GC.:( I have had a ###### week and am so unhappy right now. I just feel like I am nothing in this country :crying:

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

This was the case with my wife too. Here in NY they require, EAD, Green-card or I-94 that is valid for 1 year or longer.

We did not even bother trying to apply for a learner's permit, simply waited for green-card. We did not bother with applying for EAD either, because at the time I-485, I-765,I-131 all had separate fees, we opted to do just I-485 to same money, I think the fee at the time was $290 or so for AOS by itself.

Besides it took nearly 2 years and 6 road tests for my wife to get her Driver's License.

If you have a foreign DL, check with state, and see if you are allowed to drive with that, or if an international DL is needed.

Also make sure you drive on the RIGHT side! :lol:

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

This was the case with my wife too. Here in NY they require, EAD, Green-card or I-94 that is valid for 1 year or longer.

We did not even bother trying to apply for a learner's permit, simply waited for green-card. We did not bother with applying for EAD either, because at the time I-485, I-765,I-131 all had separate fees, we opted to do just I-485 to same money, I think the fee at the time was $290 or so for AOS by itself.

Besides it took nearly 2 years and 6 road tests for my wife to get her Driver's License.

If you have a foreign DL, check with state, and see if you are allowed to drive with that, or if an international DL is needed.

Also make sure you drive on the RIGHT side! :lol:

Yeah think I will just wait for GC it's not worth it and I have my international on valid till July only that it is in my previous name. I have been driving for 34 years and the test seems relatively easy. The driving bit I have no issues with as I have been driving here since 2009 when I first came and then on my visit last march and since I have been home here Sept 2010. SO again all a waiting game am just pissed with USCIS right now but they will have my RFE tomorrow at 3 sent this morning. Yes I can drive with International license and am used to driving on right side now lol it is all the same as Australia just back to front LMAO and we gave feet away years ago all Kilometers now and metres for distance

Edited by Barbara J

Went again for my license today and I still can't get it.:crying: I am now category 3 pending more ID with USCIS. I am in Augusta Georgia and I have heard others have been able to get theirs with EAD which I have but I rang today the service number and he said it sounds like my EAD has not been recognized and that my case is still as a K1 not an AOS pending. He said to make an info pass and go to Atlanta to see if the system has been updated :huh:. Not going to go 2 hour drive for a 5 min chat plus I have to get my hubbie to take a day off work. I will just wait for my GC.:( I have had a ###### week and am so unhappy right now. I just feel like I am nothing in this country :crying:

Sorry to hear that. I had my license too here in GA, never had a problem getting it few years back.

Your situation happened to my filipina friend too. She tried two different DMV office and they said the same thing that her status has not been updated yet eventhough she already has her 10 yr. green card.

What she did was she went to another DMV office and took the test and got her license. I think you should try it .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry to hear that. I had my license too here in GA, never had a problem getting it few years back.

Your situation happened to my filipina friend too. She tried two different DMV office and they said the same thing that her status has not been updated yet eventhough she already has her 10 yr. green card.

What she did was she went to another DMV office and took the test and got her license. I think you should try it .

I didn't have to wait for EAD or Green Card to get my license here in Georgia. I went in, said I needed to 'transfer' my license from Canada. They got me to take the written and driving test, and issued my license. I showed my K1, marriage certificate (as I was changing my name) and a piece of mail with my 'new' GA address on it. Didn't have any issues!

Timeline

I didn't have to wait for EAD or Green Card to get my license here in Georgia. I went in, said I needed to 'transfer' my license from Canada. They got me to take the written and driving test, and issued my license. I showed my K1, marriage certificate (as I was changing my name) and a piece of mail with my 'new' GA address on it. Didn't have any issues!

Because you are from Canada you guys seem to be able to transfer easier than the rest of us lol

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

We had the same problem in Florida. Hubby went with his papers all happy and the girl at DMV insisted he needed an I-130. He explained that he came in on the 129F and was here on a K-1. She still sent him home. Pity he spent hours studying to take the written test. We got our interview appointment in the mail the following week, so we decided to wait for his GC before we go back. We got approved this morning so in a few weeks, we'll go down to the DMV again and get it all settled. (I'm going with him this time. I made the mistake of not accompanying him. Although it sounds like the girl at DMV wouldn't listen to reason no matter what.)

So don't worry.... sounds like we all have to wait for the GC in order to get a drivers license. In the meantime, don't think ill of the US because of some silly beaurocrats. (Geez, I hope I spelled that right....) Just think soon you'll be on your way to getting your status changed and the hard part will be done. Good luck!!! blush.gif

Timeline

We had the same problem in Florida. Hubby went with his papers all happy and the girl at DMV insisted he needed an I-130. He explained that he came in on the 129F and was here on a K-1. She still sent him home. Pity he spent hours studying to take the written test. We got our interview appointment in the mail the following week, so we decided to wait for his GC before we go back. We got approved this morning so in a few weeks, we'll go down to the DMV again and get it all settled. (I'm going with him this time. I made the mistake of not accompanying him. Although it sounds like the girl at DMV wouldn't listen to reason no matter what.)

So don't worry.... sounds like we all have to wait for the GC in order to get a drivers license. In the meantime, don't think ill of the US because of some silly beaurocrats. (Geez, I hope I spelled that right....) Just think soon you'll be on your way to getting your status changed and the hard part will be done. Good luck!!! blush.gif

Thanks Queen and yes my husband is coming down with me next me as he feels his presence might make a difference lol I think also because I have an RFE could have something to do with also holding it up not letting the system accept me. ANd no worries don't hold anything against USA just USCIS lol bureaucrats indeed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.