Amanda Cozart

Filing Abroad

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hello everyone, I have a question... My Fiance and I are applying with the I-29F form....He is from Denmark, and I am from North Carolina (USA) We have everything together and are planning on shipping the packing out to the Texas USCIS today(2-9-11). My first question is this. 1) I am currently in Denmark with him, will that affect our form? or chance of getting accepted? I am on a 3 month visa, and just got here...and I am planning to stay the total of 3 months in order to help him pack and get ready for the move to the US. 2)Will I have to go to an interview?, or will it just be for him? As I understand it, he will be the only one having to be interviewed, correct? and 3) How long does it usually take to actually hear back from them? and what are the chances of actually being accepted?, I am just worried sick...lol. I couldn't imagine my life without him, so I'm trying to have all my questions answerd to help me be at ease...Thanks in advance for any help!!

-Amanda

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Your location at the moment should have no impact on your application as long as the package gets to the right location. Make sure all the necessary documents are included else if you are missing something and you get an RFE, the letter will be posted to your US address and you wont see it for the 3months you are away! I believe you have enough to show you have US-Domicile even though you are away on holidays?

The I-129F approval is averaging about 5 months so its not likely the process will be over before you return to the US. Usually the fiance(e) is not required to attend the interview but I have heard it increases the chance of being approved if (s)he is there.

Good luck! :thumbs:

Edited by Mrs O.

N400

Filing based on 3yrs/USC Spouse. 3 year residency anniversary is in August 2014. Filed immediately after the 90-day early filing mark (May 2014)

05/06/2014 - Mailed N-400

05/15/2014 - Check cashed

05/12/2014 - NOA Date

06/11/2014 - Biometrics Appointment

09/15/2014 - Inline for interview scheduling (was stuck in "Initial Review" for over 3 months!)

10/27/2014 - Scheduled for interview

12/01/2014 - Interview

12/19/2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Why not marry now and file an I-130 for a spouse visa?

The CR-1 spouse visa has many advantages.

CR-1 gets green card the moment they land in USA allowing work and travel. It costs around 900 less than K-1 when factoring in AOS.

K-1 cannot work or travel until at least 4 months after filing AOS.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

Thank you guys so much, And the reason why we have not married yet is because Denmark has a marriage rule that I would have to be 24 years old since I am not a danish citizen, and I'm only 21. We planned on getting Married in the US once he gets permission to enter, and be married within 90 days of him entering the US. I'm just curous as to how long it will take before he gets him interview at the US embassy here in Denmark, for the approval. Only because he is going to have to sell his house, and plan to leave his job, which will take some time ofcouse, and he wants to be sure he will be granted permission to enter with the 90 day marriage rule before putting his house up for sale. Urrgh!, this whole process is soo confusing!! lol ;)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Please tell him to wait before selling his house or leaving his job.This process is very time consuming and unpredictable. I would not do nothing until I had the visa in hand. Once you get the visa it is good for like 6 months to travel. So he would have time to get things together far as his house and job. It would be a very bad feeling if he did not get the visa right away and then he has given up everything with the hopes of getting the visa in certain amout of time. Each country time frame may be different. Hopefully someone from Denmark tell their experiences so you can get a general ideal. It took a total of 6.5 months for us to get approved. Had a small delay which we are currently working on. Visa was approved at interview 2 weeks ago, but when he went to pick up visa he was told had a old active passport from a visitor visa he applied for 5 years ago. Had to get old passport cancelled before they will issue the k1 visa. Im telling you this because their could be some obstacles that may slow the process down so be patient and dont make any big chanages before you are sure you have the visa.

Edited by MensahLuv

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Please tell him to wait before selling his house or leaving his job.This process is very time consuming and unpredictable. I would not do nothing until I had the visa in hand. Once you get the visa it is good for like 6 months to travel. So he would have time to get things together far as his house and job. It would be a very bad feeling if he did not get the visa right away and then he has given up everything with the hopes of getting the visa in certain amout of time. Each country time frame may be different. Hopefully someone from Denmark tell their experiences so you can get a general ideal. It took a total of 6.5 months for us to get approved. Had a small delay which we are currently working on. Visa was approved at interview 2 weeks ago, but when he went to pick up visa he was told had a old active passport from a visitor visa he applied for 5 years ago. Had to get old passport cancelled before they will issue the k1 visa. Im telling you this because their could be some obstacles that may slow the process down so be patient and dont make any big chanages before you are sure you have the visa.

:ot: Hmmm this is interesting. I currently have 2 passports. I have a nigerian passport that still has a valid tourist visa in it and I am going to get my immigrant visa on my irish passport, does that mean they will cancel the tourist visa first? I was hoping to make a quick visit to the US on that before my final move to the states :huh:

:ot2: Amanda the average time from NOA1(notification of receipt)to interview date in Denmark will be totalling about 7 months: 5months at USCIS then additional time for transfer of docs to NVC and then to embassy. Interview date will also depend on how busy the consulate is over there...

Edited by Mrs O.

N400

Filing based on 3yrs/USC Spouse. 3 year residency anniversary is in August 2014. Filed immediately after the 90-day early filing mark (May 2014)

05/06/2014 - Mailed N-400

05/15/2014 - Check cashed

05/12/2014 - NOA Date

06/11/2014 - Biometrics Appointment

09/15/2014 - Inline for interview scheduling (was stuck in "Initial Review" for over 3 months!)

10/27/2014 - Scheduled for interview

12/01/2014 - Interview

12/19/2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN!

Timeline

Well.....Thank you all so very very much for your help. Since the package is out, I guess it's time to cross our fingers and hope for the best. And best of luck to everyone else who is going through some tuff visa situations!! :D

Take care you guys!!

Filed: Timeline

Amanda - being that you're in Denmark right now, have you given any thought to the financial req's? Or have you already lined up a co-sponsor?

Too bad you two couldn't have taken a trip somewhere and gotten married in a country which doesn't impose the 24 year old rule.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

:ot: Hmmm this is interesting. I currently have 2 passports. I have a nigerian passport that still has a valid tourist visa in it and I am going to get my immigrant visa on my irish passport, does that mean they will cancel the tourist visa first? I was hoping to make a quick visit to the US on that before my final move to the states :huh:

:ot2: Amanda the average time from NOA1(notification of receipt)to interview date in Denmark will be totalling about 7 months: 5months at USCIS then additional time for transfer of docs to NVC and then to embassy. Interview date will also depend on how busy the consulate is over there...

Not really sure how that will go. If you plan to travel before the k1 visa is approved it does not matter. Go ahead and travel. However, after you have your k1 interview and you are approved for a visa they will most like cancel the tourist visa out. Also, in the k1 visa application (DS 156) questions are ask about you ever having a visa, when, where and what kind or have you ever been refused a visa therfore you will have to disclosed the info. In my fiance case he had applied and was refused a tourist visa. when he applied for the tourist visa he had a different passport, which he no longer has. When we decided to do the k1 visa he got a new one which had a new number. The US embassy saw in the system the old passport from the first time and told him he had to cancel the old passport.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.