Amby

Proposed Ohio Abortion Ban Hinges on Heartbeat

83 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

An unborn child's heartbeat can be detected as soon as 18 days after conception, and supporters of a bill slated to be unveiled in the Ohio Legislature Wednesday say that women should be prohibited from ending pregnancies beyond that milestone.

State Rep. Lynn Wachtmann is planning to unveil the "Heartbeat Bill" and a legislative aide for the Republican tells Fox News that 42 of the 99 representatives in the Ohio state House have signed on to the bill, which would make an exception to the heartbeat rule only in emergency medical situations.

According to 2009 data from the Ohio Department of Health, 56.6 percent of abortions in that state occur in the first nine weeks of pregnancy. And since the fetal heartbeat appears on monitors by six weeks into gestation in most cases, supporters of the bill believe that it could prevent thousands of abortions.

"When the Heartbeat Bill passes, it will be the most protective law in the nation," Janet Folger Porter, president of conservative advocacy group Faith2Action, said in a release. Porter helped craft the bill, and was also instrumental in passing the nation's first ban in partial-birth abortion when she was legislative director of Ohio Right to Life.

While the legislation must still be proposed in the state Senate and a court challenge could derail the plan, advocates for the bill hope that if the Ohio measure is successful, other states will follow suit with similar laws. A website created to tout the bill urges supporters to send heart-shaped balloons to the governor and state representatives by Valentine's Day. A music video on the site features babies dancing to the tune of Nena's "99 Red Balloons" -- retooled with pro-life lyrics.

But pro-choice group NARAL has equated the bill to "political interference" into a private medical issue.

"Our state is facing crushing budget deficits and talking about slashing Medicaid funding for thousands of Ohio women, yet these politicians are focusing on an extreme and unconstitutional bill that, if passed, would entangle our state in a costly legal battle," Kelly Copeland, executive director of NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio, told Fox News.

And though Porter and former Ohio Right to Life president Linda Theis vocally support the Heartbeat Bill, the pro-life organization's current executive director says the legislation is destined for failure.

"Unfortunately, the Heartbeat Bill will not survive a court challenge, and therefore not save one life," Ohio Right to Life executive director Michael Gonidakis told Fox News, arguing that state courts and the Supreme Court would slap down the heartbeat cut-off in the same way they would reject a full abortion ban. "Because the Supreme Court, unfortunately, has ruled on countless occasions that any restrictions on abortion pre-viability are unconstitutional," he says.

Gonidakis instead supports a late-term abortion ban that has passed the state House and is slated to be introduced in the Ohio Senate Wednesday. As for the Heartbeat Bill, Wachtmann's office says there has also been talk of introducing a companion bill in the Senate, and is optimistic that it, too, will move to the upper chamber for consideration.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/08/ohio-abortion-ban-hinges-heartbeat/

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

What are they doing with all these prevented abortions?

.... oh that's right, they're registering them as democrats. Well, the ones that aren't felons, anyway.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

What are they doing with all these prevented abortions?

.... oh that's right, they're registering them as democrats. Well, the ones that aren't felons, anyway.

Is today opposite day? Guess I missed the memo...

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The Country is turning more Pro-life, at some point the Supreme Court may catch up and kick this issue back to the states.... where it belongs.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

The Country is turning more Pro-life, at some point the Supreme Court may catch up and kick this issue back to the states.... where it belongs.

Would you move to a state that passed a law banning abortions (except in the case of blah, blah, blah, and blah)?

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Would you move to a state that passed a law banning abortions (except in the case of blah, blah, blah, and blah)?

Probably states which would pass such laws would appeal more to me if I were planing to relocate, I wouldn't pack up and move for that reason.

Anyway, I consider myself a _social missionary.... I feel compelled to take the message of national renewal to the unwashed and unrepentant libs where ever they might be found.

In other words, I might even relocate back to NJ.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

18 days is less than 3 weeks. the majority of people do not even know they're pregnant at 3 weeks unless they're seriously trying really hard to get pregnant. if it was an accident the person probably wouldn't even know.

indeed, it's not even long enough to realize there's been a missed period.

as adamantly opposed to abortion as i am though, i think this smoke and mirrors ####### they're pulling here is ridiculous. have the guts to come right out and say exactly what this bill does, or shut up. it's effectively banning abortions for 99% of people who would desire to obtain one, in the normal, usual time frame in which pregnancies are detected. ok by me, but don't be mealymouthed about it.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Probably states which would pass such laws would appeal more to me if I were planing to relocate, I wouldn't pack up and move for that reason.

Anyway, I consider myself a _social missionary.... I feel compelled to take the message of national renewal to the unwashed and unrepentant libs where ever they might be found.

In other words, I might even relocate back to NJ.

:rofl: "social missionary". That's sounds like something you hear from the resident alcoholic in a bar, who gets tanked up and thinks he has solutions to all the world's problems.

18 days is less than 3 weeks. the majority of people do not even know they're pregnant at 3 weeks unless they're seriously trying really hard to get pregnant. if it was an accident the person probably wouldn't even know.

Indeed.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If people used birth control instead of banging like rabbits abortion wouldn't even be on the radar.

Indeed. So many forms of birth control - even a friggin morning-after pill! They really have no excuse.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Oh, you don't know how hard it is to get that pill in time! And no, you are not allowed to have it in advance "just in case".

Indeed. So many forms of birth control - even a friggin morning-after pill! They really have no excuse.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.