master4g

Fiancee Visa for an arranged marriage. Possible?

56 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Yea that's true. They are better of meeting as what might (in the OP's opinion) constitute "detailed explanation and evidence of the extreme hardship or customary, cultural or social practices that have prohibited your meeting" might not be convincing enough for USCIS.

"Might not?" They have NOTHING.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Many religions have prohibitions against them being alone together but not against them being together with others there monitoring them.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Many religions have prohibitions against them being alone together but not against them being together with others there monitoring them.

Yes, but the OP clearly stated neither of the above applied in this case. They would be saying, "We haven't seen each other for four years because we don't want or can't afford to buy an airplane ticket. Please waive the meeting requirement." There's evidently at least and perhaps only one pretty obscure sect that prohibits the bride and groom from meeting before the wedding. That's why it's addressed in the instructions.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello

In our culture/religion, premarital dating is discouraged. It isn't an "arranged" marriage in the true sense. The process usually happens like this:

1)The boy (can be girl) takes an interest in a girl.

2)(optional) The boy talks to his parents about the interest

3)The boys parents (or boy) talk to the girls parents and put fourth a marriage proposal

4)Girls parents discuss with girl and if the GIRL AGREES, the boy and girl become engaged.

The boys interest can come from whatever correspondence the two have had or even the recommendation from others regarding the girl. Ideally, the boy and girl have never dated, but they are allowed to communicate/see each other physically to ensure compatibility.

This is the dominant style of marriage in the Middle East and is also very common in other parts of Asia and Africa.

My question is, If one was to apply for a fiancee visa with this type of hookup, would it work? What would they put in the section where their meetings are to be described and proved? The boy is American and the girl is a British citizen. They have met several time on different occasions but do not have any current proof of meeting (photos, etc)

comments or personal experiences would be appreciated.

Thank You.

It will take a lot of proof such as receipts (hotel, taxi, anything) from the boy at least putting him in the same place that the girl lives, boarding pass, pictures are secondary evidence to the meeting.'

They could also have statements from both sets of parents to go along with this.

As long as they have met with in two years of filing for the K-1 petition and can back it up with other proofs other than pictures they have met the one very important demand for k-1

with that being said .....i dont know if your talking about a Muslim match but if it is then it will go a long with the embassy if they have proof of the formal engagement. (that would require pics of course, and proof at the embassy stage of this visa)

As far as what to put in describing the meetings in person put the truth and explain who was there and so on.

Normally in this type of match both sides of parents are very much involved...if they have pics of the parents together it could not hurt their situation along with boarding passes and what not that are dated the same time as the boys......

sara

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hello. I think that this type of arrangement may be possible in that as you stated in this type of marriage or arrangement there is correspondence between the two parties that intend to marry. For the purposes of a K-1 visa, you have to show intent to marry and proof of a relationship. However, the "relationship" in this case may be quite different from other relationships where there is a lot more romantic types of wording throughout the documents provided as evidence. That being said, I would assume that if you are able to show evidence of a viable relationship, such as phone/calling cards, discussions on MSN (not sure if that is allowed or encouraged) Skype things of that nature, you can prove or show evidence of correspondence between the two of you. From what I have read on the K-1 visa documents, it does not state that you must be truly madly deeply in love, it only states that you must show evidence of a relationship and intent to marry, both of which are present in this case, correct? Also, you have to show evidence of personal meet, so as long as you have those bases covered you should be okay. I know you stated below that you do not have any proof of personal meet, such as photos, but can you get copies or pull up records for any flights you may have taken there or get signed documents from family members on both sides that state you both met personally and that they observed the meet? Otherwise I would suggest planning another trip to show evidence of personal meeting. The only stipulation I can add however is the interview itself. They will ask questions along the lines of why does your intended want to marry you etc. etc. etc. In that circumstance, I certainly would not suggest saying anything other than the truth, however, I am not sure how the government would look upon the answer "because this is an arranged marriage," or anything along those lines. My suggestion to you would be to go in for a free consultation with an immigration attorney or a few and get their feedback on this subject. It could never hurt to get the advise of some people that are legally versed in this particular subject.

I hope this helps and i wish you the best of luck!

event.png

Tuana and Kemal's Visa Journey

2010.07.10 We met

2010.10.28 First visit to meet in person

2010.10.31 We became engaged

2011.01.12 Second Visit with my Husband

2011.04.18 Third Visit with my Husband

2011.08.19 Married in Gaziantep Turkey, 4th Visit

2011.10.21 Visited with my Husband, 5th Visit

2011.11.22 SENT IN I-130 Application

2011.12.01 NOA1 Received

2012.02.16 Visited my Husband, 6th Visit

2012.05.08 NOA2 Received

2012.05.21 NVC Received

2012.07.02 Per NVC documents approved, waiting on interview date to be scheduled

2012.08.10 Visited my husband in Turkey, 7th Visit

2012.12.04 Visa Approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thanks for the replies. They have not met in the last two years. The last time they met was in Aug 07. Anyone else with any experience or suggestions?

That gap seems little bit too long almost 3 years, but either Boy/Girl visiting each country, stamps from passport, other proof like pictures at some occassion like at other ppls wedding or parties - could be added as proof.

Like other people have said, the only religious/cultural explanation accepted for not meeting is one where the two people actually are not allowed to see each other prior to marriage. This is not the case here. (The medical reason also comes with a high burden of proof. Many people have applied and been denied because USCIS was not sufficiently convinced that neither of the two involved could visit the other.) Financially, if you can't afford a plane ticket there is no way you can afford the rest of the cost of immigration, and fulfil the sponsorship element.

The two parties should arrange to meet, and at that meeting either marry or obtain lots of evidence of their meeting.

So the real question in this case is, should this couple go for a fiance visa or a spousal visa? If it is at all possible for them to marry on meeting then that would probably be the better choice, as it is easier to produce a marriage certificate than prove meeting and communication!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks for everyones input. sol

We just wanted to know the options. As I stated earlier, the two met more than two years ago so that trip might not work, which is why I asked the question regarding the type of hookup they had.

They will be able to meet in July so they will have photos then, but if we are able to apply now, they would have a solid head start on the process

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The trip more than 2 years ago won't work and you can't file before you have the evidence of meeting in the last 24 months. Sorry you will have to wait until July. You can have all your papers ready for the day after you meet and send them then.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sudan
Timeline

Hi There!

You more or less described how my Fiancee and I got engaged. As I see it this is not an arranged marriage under the following condition:

Boy and Girl discussed getting married and both expressed the desire to get married.

If that takes place prior to the boy talking to the parents then it is not arranged.

We just wanted to know the options. As I stated earlier, the two met more than two years ago so that trip might not work, which is why I asked the question regarding the type of hookup they had.

They will be able to meet in July so they will have photos then, but if we are able to apply now, they would have a solid head start on the process

They will have to meet the qualifications for the application BEFORE filing it. If they do not meet the qualifications as of the date they file, then they will likely be denied. That means they will need to wait until after the July visit to file in order to have met the qualification of having met in person in the last two years.

It is very difficult to get USCIS to waive the requirement for meeting. I do not believe you have a situation where you stand a chance of being able to justify a waiver for the meeting requirement.

Edited by TwoCats

kitsig.jpg

K-1 Visa/ AOS Timeline:
(Detailed info on our timeline can be found here: About us)

ROC Timeline:

02/10/2014 - ROC Sent.

02/12/2014 - NOA1 Date.

03/11/2014 - Biometrics Date.

05/28/2014 - Card Production.

Timeline

Change "might not work" to "definitely will not work". Yes, take photos but concentrate on saving actual primary evidence of meeting, like passport stamps, boarding passes, receipts in country etc. They/you do NOT qualify to file a petition UNLESS it includes the above mentioned primary evidence of meeting in the past two years. Meet and/or meet and marry in July and file the petition when qualified to do so.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You should not apply until you have all your evidence that would go with your application. You can apply before your evidence is complete, but you would be getting a denied petition or an RFE.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You should not apply until you have all your evidence that would go with your application. You can apply before your evidence is complete, but you would be getting a denied petition or an RFE.

They would be denied. If they get an RFE for proof of meeting, and submit evidence of a meeting that occurred after the petition was submitted, then the petition would be denied. They must prove they met within two years prior to the filing of the petition.

They same applies to evidence proving any of the requirements. You can respond to an RFE with evidence you obtained after the petition was filed (a birth certificate to prove US citizenship, for example), but only if the evidence proves that the requirement was met at the time the petition was filed. If the evidence proves the requirement was met after the petition was filed (a certificate of naturalization issued after the petition was filed, for example) then the petition must be denied.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

They would be denied. If they get an RFE for proof of meeting, and submit evidence of a meeting that occurred after the petition was submitted, then the petition would be denied. They must prove they met within two years prior to the filing of the petition.

They same applies to evidence proving any of the requirements. You can respond to an RFE with evidence you obtained after the petition was filed (a birth certificate to prove US citizenship, for example), but only if the evidence proves that the requirement was met at the time the petition was filed. If the evidence proves the requirement was met after the petition was filed (a certificate of naturalization issued after the petition was filed, for example) then the petition must be denied.

Exactly, so in this case, they would...

1. File the petition

2. Get an RFE

3. Reply unsatisfactorily or not at all

4. Get notice the petition was denied for lack of primary evidence meeting in the two years prior to filing

It's not RFE or Denial. It's RFE and THEN Denial.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.