hoopy507

Citizenship or Not???

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

My wife and I were talking with a couple and the american said his wife who is Philipine became a citizen for reasons and then we were interupted,,,,can anyone tell me why my wife should turn into a american citizen beyond the normal reasons...I know some.. but what cant she do that she can if she was a citizen,,,I was just wondering the benefits of her taking the test in 4 yrs,,,she just moved here from China,.,,any help would be welcomed...thanks....hoopy

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

As a citizen she'd be able to vote in a presidential election, can run for a political office besides president, can file for alien relatives faster, can own arms, can qualify for some scholarships/grants if she goes to school, etc...

Edited by Tero

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

And barring treason and a few other high crimes, it can never be taken away. The green card can be taken away--although it is very rare--it has to be renewed every ten years and who knows what the laws might be like then. No downside to citizenship.

Filed: Other Timeline

Since becoming a US citizen would mean for her wife to having to surrender her Chinese citizenship, it is indeed not an easy decision to make. Could she hold Chinese and US citizenship, this would be a no-brainer, but since that's not an option for her, it really depends on what her plans for the future are.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Well TY to all and I am sure she will have to think about ot and she does have 4 yrs to do that.,..just want to let her know what she can and cant do..as of now...she wants to stay Chinese...but..we will see,,thanks to all who reply...thanks...hoopy

Just wait until she becomes "Americanized" like most Asians. I pray it doesn't happen but there is a huge rate of divorce between asians and Americans. I speak from not only personal but knowledgable facts and events. I hope you and your bride doesn't fall into that category. PS...I was married to a filipina for nearly 10 years. good luck

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
Marriage: 2009-08-01
I-130 Sent : 2009-09-29
I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-03-18
NVC Received : 2010-03-23
Case Completed at NVC : 2010-09-16
Interview Date : December 16, 2010
Interview Result : APPROVED
Visa Received : 12/27/10
US Entry :12/29/10
Two-year green card received: 1/19/11
SSN received: 2/2/11
Lifting of Conditions Filed 10/1/12
Lifting of Conditions NOA 10/9/12
Lifting of Conditions Biometrics Appt 10/31/12

Lifting of Conditions Approved 12/10/12

10-yr green card received 1/8/13

N-400 Naturalization Application 10/1/2013
Marital Bliss: Endless

Timeline

Well im not so sure you can say Americanized...I feel many that came here and still do come here still hear of gold lined streets and jobs everywhere.,,.I feel if you respect a persons culture and try not to change them..which.,..most American men do,...you can have a good marriage,,,and its not just Chinese or Asians.,..its any woman or man who is not treated well and feels that the other just wanted to get a maid or a cook or a housekeeper...This world has changed so much I know many foriegners who do not want to even come here to live,,,many say its a nice place to visit..just dont move there...but..life is life and if you treat your mate with honesty and respect you can have a good relationship...its just the horror stories outway the ones who succeed...I was married to a American girl and I am American..grew up in the same area...and same values..and guess what...yep...19 yrs and divorced cause she was not getting the material things she wanted...so..doesnt matter the race,,,or nationality...what matters is morals and love...just my opinion...but thanks for the concern...peace.,.,hoopy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

As a Chinese, taking US citizenship can have benefits and also create problems depending on your long-term plans. Many older couples seem to be on track to spend time in the US but mostly retire in China, with the cost of living being less in the smaller cities. In this case, she would need her citizenship to buy an apartment and avoid the need for applying for residency in her own country. For the couple, mostly younger, who intend on spending the majority of their lives in the US, then the citizenship option is more likely. Many Chinese have strong filial relationships and the concept of giving up their Chinese citizenship is equivalent to cutting family ties. Others however do not feel this way and are more open to adopting the values and lifestyles of the US. It is not a conversation that I would bother having during the first year, since there will be so much going on in life...give it a year and she may already have brought up the topic. :thumbs:

Nov 6, 2009: "I had breakfast in Korea, lunch in Shanghai, and dinner in Chongqing...now I just need to find a squat toilet..."

K1 completion: 03-10-2010, PINK!!!(well..it's orangish)
POE: Chicago/ORD 05-21-2010
Married: 05-26-2010
AOS completion: 10-28-2010
ROC completion: 05-16-2013

Naturalized: 11-21-2014

IM happy i havent got to make that choice as i can have my cake and eat it...but on the flipside so can the IRS and Inland rev..:wacko:

But looking beond all the stuff the other members have pointed out, there is another plus and that's you can apply for Goverenment jobs as most if not all must be a usc.

I did also read that you could become president after being a usc after 7 yrs...:whistle:

On the other topic about cultures ect...there is pros and cons also....its hard for anyone to adjust and takes time even for me and im from the uk.

We only get one life as we know it, so when somebody comes your way who you love and i mean truly love then i say go with it....and enjoy your life together

as life itself is a risk and you never ever know whats around the corner....cas when the big man calls you..he calls you....no questions ask....your name is called..

your post is not a issue as yet or may never be...

Just both of you enjoy each other....treat her right and she will respect that more than even being in a great country like the usa...

i wish you both the very best...and long live your love..

You read wrong. You have to be born a US ciitizen to be eligible to be president.

Met in Ormoc, Leyte, Philippines: 2007-05-17
Our son was born in Borongan, Eastern Samar, Philippines: 2009-04-01
Married in Borongan, Eastern Samar, Philippines: 2009-10-24
CR-1 Visa - California Service Center; Consulate - Manila, Philippines
I-130 mailed: 2010-04-13
I-130 NOA1: 2010-04-24
I-130 NOA2: 2010-09-30
NVC received case: 2010-10-14
Case Complete: 2010-12-01
Interview scheduled: 2010-12-06
Medical, St. Luke's, Manila: 2010-12-09 and 2010-12-10
Interview at US Embassy in Manila 8:30 AM: 2011-01-05 - Approved!
Visa delivered: 2011-01-08
CFO Seminar completed: 2011-01-10
My beloved wife Sol and my beautiful son Nathan arrive in the U.S. (POE San Francisco): 2011-01-26
Lifting Conditions - Vermont Service Center
Date mailed: 2012-11-01
Receipt date: 2012-11-05
NOA received: 2012-11-09
Biometrics letter received: 2012-11-16
Biometrics appointment date: 2012-12-10
Biometrics walk-in successful: 2012-11-20
Removal of Conditions approved date: 2013-04-27
10 year green card mailed: 2013-05-03
10 year green card received: 2013-05-06
Citizenship
N400 mailed: 2013-10-28
N400 delivered: 2013-10-31
NOA1: 2013-11-04
Biometrics: 2013-11-18
In Line: 2013-12-26
Interview scheduled: 2013-12-30
Interview: 2014-02-03

Oath ceremony queue: 2014-02-07

Oath ceremony: 2014-03-28 Sol is a U.S. citizen

Applied for expedited passport: 2014-04-01

Passport received, Priority Express: 2014-04-09 This is journey's end at last!

Naturalization certificate returned, Priority Mail: 2014-04-12

Passport card received, First Class: 2014-04-14

1457 days, I-130 mailed to passport in hand

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

IM happy i havent got to make that choice as i can have my cake and eat it...but on the flipside so can the IRS and Inland rev..:wacko:

But looking beond all the stuff the other members have pointed out, there is another plus and that's you can apply for Goverenment jobs as most if not all must be a usc.

I did also read that you could become president after being a usc after 7 yrs...:whistle:

On the other topic about cultures ect...there is pros and cons also....its hard for anyone to adjust and takes time even for me and im from the uk.

We only get one life as we know it, so when somebody comes your way who you love and i mean truly love then i say go with it....and enjoy your life together

as life itself is a risk and you never ever know whats around the corner....cas when the big man calls you..he calls you....no questions ask....your name is called..

your post is not a issue as yet or may never be...

Just both of you enjoy each other....treat her right and she will respect that more than even being in a great country like the usa...

i wish you both the very best...and long live your love..

Unless the constitution gets changed, for now, you cannot be a US president if you were not born in the US.

You read wrong. You have to be born a US ciitizen to be eligible to be president.

Yep My Bad...your correct...:thumbs:

I was wondering where i got the 7 yrs from?:unsure:

you can be a canidate for the house after (7 yrs) of being a usc or 9 yrs if you want to run for senate

But yep correct...Must be Natural born USC to become president of the USA

Where is obama born?:whistle:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.