lostinblue

The Revolt in Egypt and U.S. Policy

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If the article was written by Obama, your response would make sense. It wasn't, and you don't.

The article is about Obama and his policies with regard to Egypt's uprising.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Obama's failure to invade Egypt will haunt him forever. When the history books are written regarding his Presidency, his failure to invade Egypt will rank near the top of his list of failures. Also in that list will be his inability to do the change.

:lol:

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

I know that. It's third party opinion, not US policy. To speak of it as though there's something binding about this opinion is what's off kilter. This uprising isn't all about the US. It's about what Egyptians want, and looking at it like US interests or American markets or the future of Israel is all that matters is shortsighted.

Here is a much better opinion piece:

http://swampland.blogs.time.com/2011/02/01/richard-cohen-beats-the-drums-for-less-arab-freedom/

Filed: Timeline

I know that. It's third party opinion, not US policy. To speak of it as though there's something binding about this opinion is what's off kilter. This uprising isn't all about the US. It's about what Egyptians want, and looking at it like US interests or American markets or the future of Israel is all that matters is shortsighted.

http://swampland.blogs.time.com/2011/02/01/richard-cohen-beats-the-drums-for-less-arab-freedom/

Cohen is arguing that the ingrateful Egyptian people are not ready for basic human rights, like freedom of assembly, a free press and free democratic elections.

The Brits said that about Indians in the 1940s. A few decades later, they said India and Pakistan couldn't handle having nuclear weapons either. It's all turned out quite well. The moral of the story is, the racism with which Westerners typically view the swarthy populations of the middle east and south asia often bleeds into their foreign policy views. Oh save me, white man!

Timeline

http://swampland.blo...s-arab-freedom/

Interesting. But is this statement of Cohen's not true?: I care about democratic values, but they are worse than useless in societies that have no tradition of tolerance or respect for minority rights.

We have a hard enough time with this in the U.S. I don't know enough about Mubarak's regime to know whether or not taking him down would bring about an improvement on this front.

Filed: Timeline

Interesting. But is this statement of Cohen's not true?: I care about democratic values, but they are worse than useless in societies that have no tradition of tolerance or respect for minority rights.

The United States of America didn't have respect for minority rights when at its founding, either.

But if you allow for the seeds to be planted, it can happen with time.

Timeline

The United States of America didn't have respect for minority rights when at its founding, either.

But if you allow for the seeds to be planted, it can happen with time.

But will the world sit around and watch Egypt go through its growing pains? I do worry about the already oppressed Christian minority in Egypt.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

A few decades later, they said India and Pakistan couldn't handle having nuclear weapons either. It's all turned out quite well.

They can't and it hasn't.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

We have a hard enough time with this in the U.S. I don't know enough about Mubarak's regime to know whether or not taking him down would bring about an improvement on this front.

So, we give lip service to human rights while continuing to prop up a dictator because, from the British on out, we purposely suppressed a population of people now demanding human rights? Our government has no credibility in the area of human rights in the Third World as it is, we can't continue to oppress one group to favor another.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

But will the world sit around and watch Egypt go through its growing pains? I do worry about the already oppressed Christian minority in Egypt.

Are they? I don't get that impression from my friend. Her entire family is Christian and they've worked in the government etc. (Mind you they sound like they may be leaving soon if things become unsafe for them..a few have already left for the UK)