3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

me and my wife get married , im from egypt and she usc

she need to change her name at passport and get my name insted of her old name

but we dont register the marriage here in egypt , did we have to do it or not

and what the steps to change her name

any help will be appraicated

06-15-2008 : my fiancee first visit to me ( stayed 3 weeks ) .

06-23-2009 : my fiancee secound visit me in Egypt ( stayed 6 weeks ).

06-28-2009 : ENGAGED

10-29-2009 : I-129F Sent

01-27-2010 : my fiancee 3rd visit to Egypt ( stayed 6 weeks ) .

02-09-2010 : travel with my fiancee to turkey in a vacation (5 days)

05-25-2010 : my fiancee 4th visit to ( stayed 2 months ) .

06-03-2010 :Interview Date .

Interview Result : approved ( ya right ! )

07-01-2010 : we got a letter had my passport and over the visa stamp says ( canceled without prejudice )!!

06-29-2010 : case sent back to usa !!!

07-07-2010 : MARRIED

01-12-2011 : the letter state the k1 case is expired , and ther was no prob to file back for any kind of visa

04-25-2011 : my wife here now visiting me in egypt for 2 and half mounth yayyyyyyyyyyyy

05-18-2011 : travel with my wife to malaysia in a 1 week vaction

06-14-2011 : register our marraige papers in cairo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAocm7.png

me and my wife get married , im from egypt and she usc

she need to change her name at passport and get my name insted of her old name

but we dont register the marriage here in egypt , did we have to do it or not

and what the steps to change her name

any help will be appraicated

As long as she has a valid marriage license and it's in English or translated by a properly trained translator then registering the marriage in Egypt isn't an issue. To change the name she simply must follow these steps (from the department of state website):

Q:I was recently married/divorced. How do I change my name on my passport?

a:You will need to complete Form DS-5504: Application for a U.S. Passport: Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement, within one year of the issuance date of your current valid passport and submit along with the following:

The same data visually displayed on the data page of the passport;

The passport to be replaced

Certified documentation of your name change (e.g., marriage certificate, divorce decree with your new name); and

Two recent passport photos.

After one year of the issuance date you must submit Form DS-82: Application for Passport by Mail, your current passport, certified documentation of your name change, two recent passport photos, and pay all applicable fees.

See How to Change Your Name in Your Valid Passport.

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
Marriage: 2009-08-01
I-130 Sent : 2009-09-29
I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-03-18
NVC Received : 2010-03-23
Case Completed at NVC : 2010-09-16
Interview Date : December 16, 2010
Interview Result : APPROVED
Visa Received : 12/27/10
US Entry :12/29/10
Two-year green card received: 1/19/11
SSN received: 2/2/11
Lifting of Conditions Filed 10/1/12
Lifting of Conditions NOA 10/9/12
Lifting of Conditions Biometrics Appt 10/31/12

Lifting of Conditions Approved 12/10/12

10-yr green card received 1/8/13

N-400 Naturalization Application 10/1/2013
Marital Bliss: Endless

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

We got married 12/31/08 in Alexandria...and we had to get all kinds of stamps from the Egyptian government on the certificates prior to the ministry marrying us and then they kept our certificates and for registration automatically, we had to return to pick them up about a week later. After that we had to have the certificate translated so that it could be registered at the US Embassy in Cairo. At the very least she will need this translated copy and original along with the stamp from the Embassy in order to go to Social Security office here and change her name, she will also have to send a copy of the original and translated copies and embassy stamp to the passport office for a name change. All of this work with the marriage certificate (translations and Embassy Stamp) is required for the visa application as well, so if you don't already have it done you should do it as soon as you can.

I hope this helps, feel free to contact me for more info or just to chat. Best Wishes to the two of you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.