Gene & Susan

Embassy specific CR-1 visa question

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Things are going smoothly so far. I just mailed off my AOS and my spouses DS-230 and support documents to the NVC with barcode cover sheets, so shouldn't be too long before they complete the case and set an interview date.

However, I notice the U.S. Embassy/Consulate in Kenya has some new policies as of October 2010:

"From the 1st of October 2010, the Immigrant Visa Unit in Nairobi, Kenya has adjusted its visa application process. The unit will receive documents and interview applicants on two separate occasions and days.

On the initial appointment date which is scheduled by NVC, the unit will receive applicants’ documents and advise them to return for the interview on the following day.

Appointment dates are restricted to Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday between 12.00 noon and 1.00 pm. Interviews will be conducted on the following day after document submission between 07.00am and 08.00am."

So it seems there is a 1 hour window for submitting documents, and a 1 hour window for arriving for interview.

Now, the question I basically have is this: Since the documents for a CR-1 visa, (the I-130 ORIGINAL SUBMISSION, + supporting material, the Affidavit of Support + supporting documents, the DS-230 1&2 + supporting documents are all submitted in the United States, I am trying to figure out what documents would be submitted at the embassy, and what I can figure out is the MEDICAL envelope of the completed medical exam and vaccinations, and the Beneficiaries Passport, and the "Excessive" proofs of ongoing relationship. Is this about right?

Of course I intend to seek an appointment to go with my foreign spouse to the interview, and my plan was to take copies of EVERYTHING from the original I-130 application on thru the "Excessive" documentation of ongoing relationship. I wonder if this means that I can't bring any documents to the interview as backup?

Any commentary would be appreciated.

Edited by gene mccluney

Sounds as if you have everything figured out. Regardless of previous submission of documents always make sure to have copies of them in case they lose one. Also, make sure you have original/certified copies of any divorce decrees, birth certificates, your marriage license. One other point, either have your newest tax form and original w-2s/financial documents are at least the last 3 months pay stubs. My wife and I were asked for the previous 3 years' original w-2s. good luck.

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
Marriage: 2009-08-01
I-130 Sent : 2009-09-29
I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-03-18
NVC Received : 2010-03-23
Case Completed at NVC : 2010-09-16
Interview Date : December 16, 2010
Interview Result : APPROVED
Visa Received : 12/27/10
US Entry :12/29/10
Two-year green card received: 1/19/11
SSN received: 2/2/11
Lifting of Conditions Filed 10/1/12
Lifting of Conditions NOA 10/9/12
Lifting of Conditions Biometrics Appt 10/31/12

Lifting of Conditions Approved 12/10/12

10-yr green card received 1/8/13

N-400 Naturalization Application 10/1/2013
Marital Bliss: Endless

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Sounds as if you have everything figured out. Regardless of previous submission of documents always make sure to have copies of them in case they lose one. Also, make sure you have original/certified copies of any divorce decrees, birth certificates, your marriage license. One other point, either have your newest tax form and original w-2s/financial documents are at least the last 3 months pay stubs. My wife and I were asked for the previous 3 years' original w-2s. good luck.

Well, I'm in business for myself, so I submitted a financial statement, 3 years of income tax returns (long form) letters from 2 banks stating how much I deposited in 2010, etc. I think that is sufficient. But that is submitted now to the NVC. Will they want to see that all over again In Nairobi?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

You are correct on the revised process. The interview date per the letter is the day you will bring all of your documents. Have copies of everything yuo've submitted just in case. Beneficiary needs interview letter, passport, passport photos, medical envelope and birth certificate, definitely! You will spend most of the day there. The following morning, you will return for the interview. Bring US Passport showing visits to spouse, money transfer to show support of spouse (*very important), emails, phone logs, letters, gifts, ect. Be sure to have as much evidence as possible so that you are not given a blue slip to come back with additional evidence. They may try and give the petitioner problems getting in but the security guards can usually be persuaded to let you in. On break, buy a couple of sodas for the guards as a gesture of thank you :) You will spend a good part of the day there too on the following day.

Be prepared to answer any and all questions that might possibly be asked! Feel free to email me with any specific questions you might have. This is a mega embassy servicing about 14 countries. It's good that you are going to ensure that any problems can be explained. I am glad I was there for my wife probably would not have gotten her visa (especially on that very same day).

Well, I'm in business for myself, so I submitted a financial statement, 3 years of income tax returns (long form) letters from 2 banks stating how much I deposited in 2010, etc. I think that is sufficient. But that is submitted now to the NVC. Will they want to see that all over again In Nairobi?

They could possibly ask for it so if only for peace of mind take copies.

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
Marriage: 2009-08-01
I-130 Sent : 2009-09-29
I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-03-18
NVC Received : 2010-03-23
Case Completed at NVC : 2010-09-16
Interview Date : December 16, 2010
Interview Result : APPROVED
Visa Received : 12/27/10
US Entry :12/29/10
Two-year green card received: 1/19/11
SSN received: 2/2/11
Lifting of Conditions Filed 10/1/12
Lifting of Conditions NOA 10/9/12
Lifting of Conditions Biometrics Appt 10/31/12

Lifting of Conditions Approved 12/10/12

10-yr green card received 1/8/13

N-400 Naturalization Application 10/1/2013
Marital Bliss: Endless

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.