bolded penguin

Young Love and a Total Newbie at this..

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

So here I am sitting at school, searching about Visa's online, when I came across this site. And I want to know if there are people like me, or who were in my situation once.

I'm 17, living in the U.S. I met my boyfriend online, and he lives in Australia. We've been together for 7 months already, and I can't tell you how happy I am. I wish to meet him and move him to the U.S. in the future. I don't have a specific question to ask really, I just want to know, if and when the time comes, how does one even START to apply for a Visa? How much money does it cost? Etc, etc. Or could I have a couple links to direct me to a starting point?

I also want to know how to get a passport to eventually visit him sometime.

Thanks, Ashley. :]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Thats a link to the K-1 fiance visa guide. You will apply for that most likely.

It will cost around $2,000 + to finish the whole thing. Plus the extra steps along the way as you go will be more.

A US passport can be applied for at a post office or a court house, around 100$ish.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Well start here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

Costs:

K-1 the MOST expensive when factoring in adjustment of status. (Aprox $1800 in fees)

CR-1 least expensive (Aprox $850)

K-3 is a dead visa type since DOS/NVC started killing it in favor of CR-1 But like K-1 expensive!

Anyway for any visa type you need to have met in person either to get married (CR1), or to show having met in person in past 2 years for K-1

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

So here I am sitting at school, searching about Visa's online, when I came across this site. And I want to know if there are people like me, or who were in my situation once.

I'm 17, living in the U.S. I met my boyfriend online, and he lives in Australia. We've been together for 7 months already, and I can't tell you how happy I am. I wish to meet him and move him to the U.S. in the future. I don't have a specific question to ask really, I just want to know, if and when the time comes, how does one even START to apply for a Visa? How much money does it cost? Etc, etc. Or could I have a couple links to direct me to a starting point?

Welcome to the site!

So much to say in response to this...

My first suggestion is that you don't rush too much into things. Not only is meeting in person a requirement to the whole process, but it's something that will really be beneficial to the both of you. No matter how well you know someone over the internet, there's always a chance that there is something that just doesn't work in reality.

The first step? Set up a trip for him to meet you, or you to meet him. If you're both young, you may want to make sure you involve your parents. Introduce your parents to each other over the 'net if you haven't already and have them talk over the phone to get them comfortable with the idea of the two of you meeting. It's very scary for a parent to have their child go halfway around the world to meet a total stranger. I'm in my mid-twenties and my family /still/ worried when I went overseas to meet the soon-to-be inlaws.

Once you've met, and you're /sure/ this is something you want to persue in the future, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. Save trip itineraries, receipts, boarding passes, photos, and anything else that can prove that the two of you met. Take a look through the guides on this site, as well as the instructions for the various forms you need to fill out for the process. Keep in mind that you will need to prove that you can support your spouse when they come to the US, so you will want to look at the poverty guidelines and find out if you have the income for it. Since you are only 17, you will almost certainly need a co-sponsor, so getting your parents involved at an early stage and getting them to be okay with you dating someone from another country will be important.

Others have already talked about the costs, so I won't reiterate that.

Just take your time, understand the process and what you'll need to do.

Edited by TwoCats

kitsig.jpg

K-1 Visa/ AOS Timeline:
(Detailed info on our timeline can be found here: About us)

ROC Timeline:

02/10/2014 - ROC Sent.

02/12/2014 - NOA1 Date.

03/11/2014 - Biometrics Date.

05/28/2014 - Card Production.

Welcome to the site!

So much to say in response to this...

My first suggestion is that you don't rush too much into things. Not only is meeting in person a requirement to the whole process, but it's something that will really be beneficial to the both of you. No matter how well you know someone over the internet, there's always a chance that there is something that just doesn't work in reality.

The first step? Set up a trip for him to meet you, or you to meet him. If you're both young, you may want to make sure you involve your parents. Introduce your parents to each other over the 'net if you haven't already and have them talk over the phone to get them comfortable with the idea of the two of you meeting. It's very scary for a parent to have their child go halfway around the world to meet a total stranger. I'm in my mid-twenties and my family /still/ worried when I went overseas to meet the soon-to-be inlaws.

Once you've met, and you're /sure/ this is something you want to persue in the future, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. Save trip itineraries, receipts, boarding passes, photos, and anything else that can prove that the two of you met. Take a look through the guides on this site, as well as the instructions for the various forms you need to fill out for the process. Keep in mind that you will need to prove that you can support your spouse when they come to the US, so you will want to look at the poverty guidelines and find out if you have the income for it. Since you are only 17, you will almost certainly need a co-sponsor, so getting your parents involved at an early stage and getting them to be okay with you dating someone from another country will be important.

Others have already talked about the costs, so I won't reiterate that.

Just take your time, understand the process and what you'll need to do.

:thumbs:

Citizenship next step!

Timeline

Wow, thanks for the fast replies everyone! I know that meeting him will be a far-off goal from now, I'm trying to finish up high school early, and I don't have the money yet for this.

I know that relationships can sometimes mess up, and real life will be totally different than over MSN, Skype, the phone, etc. Though I just wanted insight early on. I know my parents are kinda iffy about the whole long-distance thing, and his parents... well, I don't think they even like the idea of him dating. :/

Thanks again, and I'll be sure to look into as much as I can. ^^

Also be sure you understand the affidavit of support (income) requirements at both the visa stage - at the consulate via form I 134 - and the adjustment of status phase (via form I 864). Chances are you will have to get your parents to be willing to sponsor your fiance.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Agreed with Tracy....while it's never fun to think in terms of money, it is a big factor in the equation. Also, you need to ask yourself how you plan on supporting your then-immigrant husband, as with a K-1, he is not given work authorization immediately upon entry. Or, even saying he has his work permit, nothing says he's going to walk right into a job either. You are going to have to either really get your parents on board with this, so that they can financially help the two of you out, or you're going to have to get a good job before he interviews.

Putting on my parental hat for a moment: what of uni for either of you? And if so, are you going to wait until you graduate and get a job before you file? Or are you going to not go to uni in order to get a job to support him? I would strongly advise you to go to and finish uni beforehand...we've all heard the 'oh I'll go back after' stories. Hell, I did it myself concerning law school. Time does have a way of slipping away, and one day, that 'next year' could be 10.

Please think about those factors. It's great that you say you're a long way off, but are starting to look into the process already. That shows a great deal of maturity, imo. Put a plan into place soon, so that if this is something the two of you decided to pursue, you can do it with as little hassle as possible.

Good luck!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

First, Australia is a VWP country, meaning he can come and VISIT you without needing to get a visa but he will need to register online for that here: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/ . He will need a passport though and tickets of course :) It costs about $200 at the moment for a passport and around $1500 for flights (it's getting cheaper every day).

Australia also has an ETA system (similar to the VWP) where YOU can visit him without a visa :) Here's the link for that: http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ Again you just need to register for that, as well as a passport and tickets. To get a US passport here is the site: http://travel.state.gov/passport/ you're looking at about $165 for the passport, passport card and $25 application fee (fees here: http://travel.state.gov/passport/fees/fees_837.html )

First you meet in person, and decide how you want to proceed, whether him to you or you to him. Fiancee visa (K1) to the US is how I did it. If my husband didn't have schooling to finish and wanted to stay in the US for his father we'd be in Australia. The fiancee visa IS more expensive but it's spread over several months so it doesn't feel that bad honestly. It's also something you can do without having to meet in person again to get married (like the CR-1) so including flights it's actually cheaper than the CR-1. CR-1 is better because he would be able to work as soon as he arrived.

Also know that income is a factor. Australia accepts co-sponsors for fiancee visas so you could use a friend or family member to co-sponsor if you do not earn the $18,212 required for a 2 person household (by the time you apply it will probably be slightly higher than that).

Timeline

As with college I plan on attending a 2yr community college at first, getting most stuff out of the way. I might then file after if we're still together (which I hope!). I would love to be a Marine Biologist, and I believe here in Texas, colleges at Corpus Christi offer those classes. So I won't even have to go far from home.

As for him not being able to work right away; when could he begin to apply for a job?

Timeline
As with college I plan on attending a 2yr community college at first, getting most stuff out of the way. I might then file after if we're still together (which I hope!). I would love to be a Marine Biologist, and I believe here in Texas, colleges at Corpus Christi offer those classes. So I won't even have to go far from home.

As for him not being able to work right away; when could he begin to apply for a job?

If he comes over on a K1 you get married, then file for AOS (and EAD which is the working document) and when the EAD is approved he can work (or Greencard, whichever comes first). It takes 60 to 90 days to get the work permit (EAD).

If you go the CR-1 route (so marry THEN apply for a visa) he can work as soon as he enters. This is best if you have financial troubles. Then he can work while waiting for the CR-1 in Australia, then work when arriving in the US.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Timeline

If he comes over on a K1 you get married, then file for AOS (and EAD which is the working document) and when the EAD is approved he can work (or Greencard, whichever comes first). It takes 60 to 90 days to get the work permit (EAD).

If you go the CR-1 route (so marry THEN apply for a visa) he can work as soon as he enters. This is best if you have financial troubles. Then he can work while waiting for the CR-1 in Australia, then work when arriving in the US.

OP, this is true ^^^^ But not everyone who gets a permit is able to get a job that quickly, either.

I'm not trying to sound negative, I'm trying to give you an accurate picture.

My husband graduated uni, and while there were job offers flying in from other states, we couldn't move at the time, and it took him a few months to find a job here locally. He was Summa Cum Laude at his uni as well. His frustration was such that he even applied for menial jobs for the meantime - and wound up being one applicant in a sea of them.

It's not impossible, but it's not like 'huzzah, here's your work permit! and here's a job too!'

Timeline
OP, this is true ^^^^ But not everyone who gets a permit is able to get a job that quickly, either.

I'm not trying to sound negative, I'm trying to give you an accurate picture.

My husband graduated uni, and while there were job offers flying in from other states, we couldn't move at the time, and it took him a few months to find a job here locally. He was Summa Cum Laude at his uni as well. His frustration was such that he even applied for menial jobs for the meantime - and wound up being one applicant in a sea of them.

It's not impossible, but it's not like 'huzzah, here's your work permit! and here's a job too!'

Sorry yes I agree. There's been a couple of posts of late where immigrants and their spouse have ended up moving to another country because work just simply isn't easy to get. A friend of mine has been unemployed (with the permit) for around 12 months now. Another friend of mine just recently got a job (6 months after arriving) and I'm still unemployed but I don't have my drivers licence yet (because my husband works too much to get me down there.. not because I suck at driving :P) so I can't even use myself as an example except to say I've been here since Sept 09, GC since July 2010 and no job yet.

Australia's not much better job wise except the pay rates are MUCH better (but so is the cost of living) but our government also supports unemployed people rather well (not that that's ideal but you won't be living on the streets).

Anyway like Lisa said, in a perfect world my scenario would work but it's more than likely he'll be unemployed for a while.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Most of these posts involve the decision that you two are going to get married. is that the route you're planning? Have you considered him possibly coming here to go to college and the two of you living apart?

I won't tell you that you're too young...I know we do what we want anyway at that age. What advise I will give is...If you have a way to spend a LONG time with each other without getting married (like college) then try that and see how it goes. :)

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.