81 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hurray! She's a reasonable woman! I'm happy for you!

(Also, sorry about assuming you were the USC sponsoring her, and ALSO, what part of Holland are you leaving behind? I grew up in Friesland and did my 3rd year of university in Groningen - I miss it a lot!!)

I live close by Den Haag :)

K1:

09/17/10 - I-129F filed

09/20/10 - Package arrived in Dallas,TX

09/22/10 - NOA1 (e-mail), routed to VSC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I'm very glad you two came to a conclusion on this. As a (female) American citizen who was the petitioner as well, I know how much stress she's going through worrying about the visa and wedding planning at the same time. Take a peek at my signature, through the grace of some luck Peter managed to arrive *days* before the wedding I had been planning since August 2009. :unsure: I always managed to luck out in the end.. but damn if it wasn't stressful, and I probably wound up saying some very conflicting things to my now husband back when we were still apart. I was thankful to have my step-dad pay for the entire wedding, because I'm the only daughter on all sides of the family, mom's, dad's, step's, in-laws', etc., but if we had to pay for it out of pocket I still would have been just as happy. It was a backyard wedding on the hottest day of the year (I did NOT plan on that, but at least there wasn't a cloud in the sky!) and to be completely honest, out of all the photos, all the gifts, all the guests that were there to celebrate with us, my favorite part of the entire wedding, which started at 6 PM and ended at 5 AM, was his vows to me. I still get teary eyed 6 months later thinking about them. I would have felt just the same if we had performed it in a court room.

He even mentioned the visa process in part of his vows. :lol: "I really feel that that's the kind of relationship we have, and that's what's carried us across the ocean so many times to see each other. That's what's helped us through our time apart when we've been counting the days. It's kept us from giving up when a long and excruciating visa application process was a constant source of stress and worry." So.. as long as you love each other, everything will work out. Always. :)

Before Journey:

Met online in 2002 as friends. Fell in love in 2005. Got engaged in 2010.

K-1 Journey, January 2010-July 2010:

NOA1: January 29. RFE: April 21. NOA2: June 4. Interview: July 15. Visa in hand: July 20. POE: July 22.

July 24, 2010: Married in front of 150 of our loved ones on a beautiful, sunny day. Living happily ever after and oh so thankful that 5 years of a long distance relationship and 7 months of a visa process is condensed into one line.

Wedding pictures! Because I'm shameless. http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae47/AmeriDaneWedding/

Adjustment of Status Journey, January 2011-March 2011:

January 25: NOA1 for AOS and EAD. Feb 5: Bio appointment received. Feb 7: RFE. Feb 11: Sent RFE response. Feb 23: AOS transfered to CSC. Feb 25: Biometrics. March 11: EAD approved! March 19: Received EAD. March 21: AOS approved! March 25: GC in hand!

And we'll live happily ever after.. for the next 2 years, anyway.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hey everyone,

Sad news, my fiance will not have enough money for the big wedding that she wanted. We prob have around $3500 to spend on the wedding.

She wants it all big white dress, cake, drinks etc. I was like, what if we get a small wedding and get a big one later when we have more money? She didnt want that because you only marry once.

Now she told me that we should wait a year to marry next summer, eventho we are already in the K1 process, Im a september filer. What do you think we should do? I cant go on like this, I was focused on getting married this summer and now it will be a year later. This is such a blow in my face. Its not that she doesnt want to be with me, not at all..she was crying and everything that she cant pay for the wedding.

What to do :(

Hi,

Just want tell my decision. I am agree that every one who married first time is want big wedding,but she should think about it before apply K1 and talk to you.And if for her wedding is most important then be with person who she really love and just cancel K1 process which is not so easy go through then OK.I think people sometimes need think logically. I am going marry first time and for me wedding is wedding most important be hay after wedding and you will need money for future family.It can be not very big one but very sweet and good wedding :yes

Good luck guys, i hope you will not cancel K1 because of this small problem.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Again for some people who havent seen it, thanks for all the advice.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!!!

We talked about it, after she woke up. She was just really down and couldnt see the end of the tunnel yesterday after she talked to her parents. We've been planning a wedding with the thought of her parents willing to help us out, like they said. She found out that her parents don't have the financial ability to support her right now, neither can my family because they are all planning to come to the wedding (family of 5). Her thinking was lets just wait another year so we both can save up some money for the plans we had already made. BUT its just a change of plans now. Basically she said in a email that she just wanted some support from me and that the wedding is still a go! We have aa budget and we're going to make the best of it. She's already planning about powerpoint presentations with our pictures on it haha!

Thanks everyone for your advice and help truw this stressfull day for me. August 6th 2011, is my weddingday!! Yeaaa!

K1:

09/17/10 - I-129F filed

09/20/10 - Package arrived in Dallas,TX

09/22/10 - NOA1 (e-mail), routed to VSC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Again for some people who havent seen it, thanks for all the advice.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!!!

We talked about it, after she woke up. She was just really down and couldnt see the end of the tunnel yesterday after she talked to her parents. We've been planning a wedding with the thought of her parents willing to help us out, like they said. She found out that her parents don't have the financial ability to support her right now, neither can my family because they are all planning to come to the wedding (family of 5). Her thinking was lets just wait another year so we both can save up some money for the plans we had already made. BUT its just a change of plans now. Basically she said in a email that she just wanted some support from me and that the wedding is still a go! We have aa budget and we're going to make the best of it. She's already planning about powerpoint presentations with our pictures on it haha!

Thanks everyone for your advice and help truw this stressfull day for me. August 6th 2011, is my weddingday!! Yeaaa!

That's great, congratulations!! I'm sure it'll be beautiful no matter how big or small it is!!

Removal of Conditions

10.15.2012 ROC package sent to California Service Center

10.18.2012 Package received

10.19.2012 Check cashed (it never ceases to amaze me how fast the gov't cashes a check!!)

10.29.2012 NOA received dated 10.18.2012

10.29.2012 Biometrics appt received

11.14.2012 Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Also, there are tons of sites in the internet to help you work with your budget and make it a dream wedding for less!

I find http://www.stylemepretty.com/ really helpful. They have tons of wedding ideas, DIY projects and guides to help you plan your wedding. Etsy.com is also a good place to look for stuff you can use for the wedding.

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com is also a great resource for ideas.

My fiancee is currently addicted to OnceWed.com.

A vast resource of beautifully innovative (and affordable) weddings to pique the imagination.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.