4ever mine

Customs or Racket ?????????

12 members have voted

1. 1. Has this happened to other VJ members

22 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ok First of all, I am ranting about our recent Moroccan customs experience. On January 20th, I sent a 6 pound package of ONLY documents to my husband in Morocco. I paid $227 USD for Global Express Guaranteed service through USPS. The air bill clearly states the value of customs is ZERO dollars value. The USPS partner with FEDEX to guarantee delivery. My package was guaranteed to be delivered to my husband's home on Jan 27th. It went through US customs and France Customs with no problem. It arrives in Morocco on Jan 24th. It sits in Customs while the customs papaers are forwarded to my husband via an independent vendor. My husband goes the vendor's location for pick up. To his surprise, the vendor presents the papers in shabby condition with no explanation except that your American wife sent you a joke because nothing was in the packet but sand. Using sand as his anolgy for nothing, completely puts my husband in shock. My husband lives 8-10 hours away from Casablanca where the actual package is held in customs. He had just return from Casablanca to get this package, no sleep and has a high fever from a reaction from shots that he got for the embassy required medical exam. After many emails and calls with FEDEX and USPS, I find out that the Moroccain Customs officer assessed this package the value of the exact postage paid amount I rendered at my local post office. So my husband's clearance options are either to pay 600 Durhims to include 150 MAD customs fee, and about 550 MAD delivery free from a non FEDEX vendor, or travel back to Casablanca for self clearance option where he still must pay 150 MAD. Now, his fever is not showing any relief and he can barely move. Even with my many verbal and written complaints to FEDEX, he now is traveling over night 8-19 hours to pick this package up where he may assessed additional fees subjected to Moroccain customs officer. If he does not pick this up tomorrow it will be returned to sender(me) I cannot beileve this is happening. The package invoice clearly stated zero customs value, but he is subjected to these duties and taxes fees.

Question:

Is this routine custom processes or a racket since I had to detail the contents and detail why these are being sent?

Any input would be great.

Timeline

Oh no......! :huh: .......I have never had any problems like that. When I sent our file it was sent DHL, but anything else that I've sent has been through the post office and we've never had any problems. I sent a big package at Christmas with several gifts and a brand new phone for him, and he still only had to pay $30 (USD)......I don't understand why they're doing that, and making him go all the way back to Casablanca, plus pay the fees??? That's insane..........................I would also say that he needs to see a doctor if he is having that bad of a reaction, maybe before he does anything else. I'm so sorry all of this is happening........gosh it's awful.......like you really need all this stress right before his interview.... :(

Ok First of all, I am ranting about our recent Moroccan customs experience. On January 20th, I sent a 6 pound package of ONLY documents to my husband in Morocco. I paid $227 USD for Global Express Guaranteed service through USPS. The air bill clearly states the value of customs is ZERO dollars value. The USPS partner with FEDEX to guarantee delivery. My package was guaranteed to be delivered to my husband's home on Jan 27th. It went through US customs and France Customs with no problem. It arrives in Morocco on Jan 24th. It sits in Customs while the customs papaers are forwarded to my husband via an independent vendor. My husband goes the vendor's location for pick up. To his surprise, the vendor presents the papers in shabby condition with no explanation except that your American wife sent you a joke because nothing was in the packet but sand. Using sand as his anolgy for nothing, completely puts my husband in shock. My husband lives 8-10 hours away from Casablanca where the actual package is held in customs. He had just return from Casablanca to get this package, no sleep and has a high fever from a reaction from shots that he got for the embassy required medical exam. After many emails and calls with FEDEX and USPS, I find out that the Moroccain Customs officer assessed this package the value of the exact postage paid amount I rendered at my local post office. So my husband's clearance options are either to pay 600 Durhims to include 150 MAD customs fee, and about 550 MAD delivery free from a non FEDEX vendor, or travel back to Casablanca for self clearance option where he still must pay 150 MAD. Now, his fever is not showing any relief and he can barely move. Even with my many verbal and written complaints to FEDEX, he now is traveling over night 8-19 hours to pick this package up where he may assessed additional fees subjected to Moroccain customs officer. If he does not pick this up tomorrow it will be returned to sender(me) I cannot beileve this is happening. The package invoice clearly stated zero customs value, but he is subjected to these duties and taxes fees.

Question:

Is this routine custom processes or a racket since I had to detail the contents and detail why these are being sent?

Any input would be great.

Moroccan-Americanflag.jpg

Met in December 2008

Married in Morocco December 22, 2009

Filed IR1/CR1 - April 2010

NOA1 - April 29, 2010

RFE - November 12, 2010

Response to RFE - December 22, 2010

NOA2 - January 18, 2011

Paid AOS and IV Bill - January 27, 2011

Sent AOS/IV documents - March 15 2011

NVC received/signed for documents - March 17

Interview May 10

APPROVED

Timeline

Oh no......! :huh: .......I have never had any problems like that. When I sent our file it was sent DHL, but anything else that I've sent has been through the post office and we've never had any problems. I sent a big package at Christmas with several gifts and a brand new phone for him, and he still only had to pay $30 (USD)......I don't understand why they're doing that, and making him go all the way back to Casablanca, plus pay the fees??? That's insane..........................I would also say that he needs to see a doctor if he is having that bad of a reaction, maybe before he does anything else. I'm so sorry all of this is happening........gosh it's awful.......like you really need all this stress right before his interview.... :(

Thank you. I pray that he will be ok in his traveling.

Timeline

I've sent stuff to morocco before with no problems... No additional fees.... But in december I sent 2 packages via USPS which costme $140 and My hubby had to pay an additional $150 to pick the package up.... I'm done with sending pakages... I will just send money from now on :hehe:

Edited by ABDULnTAHLISHA

8QTYm5.png

FXz7m5.png

Timeline

I've sent stuff to morocco before with no problems... No additional fees.... But in december I sent 2 packages via USPS which costme $140 and My hubby had to pay an additional $150 to pick the package up.... I'm done with sending pakages... I will just send money from now on :hehe:

You wonder why they do this. Is it pocketed at Customs? I mean come on, I paid an overpriced fee for this package. It went through US and France customs with no problem. My poor husband is dragging tonight. Please God keep him safe!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I can't say for sure if its a racket in your morroco or anywhere else but I do know of people complaining of paying a hefty fee to send a package and upon receip, the recipient has to pay again. It's ridiculous and I wouldn't even try fighting. I hope your husband feels better soon.

Best of luck on the rest of your journey!

K-1

09/17/09 Mailed I-129F

09/21/09 NOA1

12/04/09 NOA2!!!!

12/07/09 NVC Received Case

12/10/09 NVC Sent Case to Consulate

12/15/09 Consulate Recieved Case

12/21/09 Packet 3 Sent Out

2/12/10 Interview @ 8:30

APPROVED!!!!

2/26/10 POE @ JFK

Still haven't recieved visa yet: I was lucky enough to get my money back because the flight canceled.

3/2/10 Visa ready for pick up

3/3/10 visa picked up

3/3/10 POE @ JFK

5/1/10 Wedding

AOS

7/19/10 Mailed AOS Package

7/21/10 Package Received

7/27/10 Check Cashed

7/30/10 Recieved NOA

8/13/10 Case transfered to CSC!

8/18/10 Received biometrics letter

8/26/2010 Biometrics appt

9/13/2010 EAD and AP approved

9/18/2010 AP recieved

9/23/2010 EAD recieved

10/1/2010 Greencard Approved

10/09/2010 Greencard Recieved, DONE with USCIS until August 2012

Timeline

Timeline

Good grief! I cannot tell you the many many packages I've sent to and from Morocco without anything like this happening. The only problem was the time - it took forever. I just sent my husband a leather jacket - I sure hope he isn't hit with some ridiculous customs fee. I have to say, the stories I've just read sure sound like the typical Moroccan bureauracry. What we did with the documents is I emailed him what I had and then he went to a shop and had the items

run off. He had documents he had to send our attorney in the USA and he sent them chronopost - always use that service when shipping from Morocco. It's the best andfastest and will only take days, not weeks. What I do about sending money - I have a bank account in my name, but it's really his. I sent him a debit card and i put money in his account here and he goes to an ATM and gets the money. It costs me about 20 cents to get money to him. You can't use a bank as cheap, you have to go to a credit union - they charge less money for the transaction. I know how to do about everything there except bring my husband to the USA!

Timeline

Good grief! I cannot tell you the many many packages I've sent to and from Morocco without anything like this happening. The only problem was the time - it took forever. I just sent my husband a leather jacket - I sure hope he isn't hit with some ridiculous customs fee. I have to say, the stories I've just read sure sound like the typical Moroccan bureauracry. What we did with the documents is I emailed him what I had and then he went to a shop and had the items

run off. He had documents he had to send our attorney in the USA and he sent them chronopost - always use that service when shipping from Morocco. It's the best andfastest and will only take days, not weeks. What I do about sending money - I have a bank account in my name, but it's really his. I sent him a debit card and i put money in his account here and he goes to an ATM and gets the money. It costs me about 20 cents to get money to him. You can't use a bank as cheap, you have to go to a credit union - they charge less money for the transaction. I know how to do about everything there except bring my husband to the USA!

PS Tell your hubby to take tylenol (no more than 1200 mg) around the clock. They don't call it tylenol there, but the pharmacist will know what to give him. Be sure to tell him not to take more than the bottle says - very important. You are welcome to private message me if I can be of any help to you

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

While sendiing gifts and such to my wife in Uganda, I experienced similar issues with customs and customs fees. My package was sent via FedEx and was to be delivered in 3 days. It took my wife 2.5 weeks for her to get the package and the customs fees were ridiculous, especially having to spend $200 + to send a package of gifts purchased in Thailand not amounting to alot of money. FedEx cannot give you the amount the customs will pay. They will determine what you should pay after they open your package and the customs slip. This caused me so much stress. I had to Western Union her an addtional $100 to obtain the package so that it did not get sent back to the US. I was mad with FedEx since the process was never explained.

I feel it's a sham but a very legal one, from what I understaand. I called FedEx about 5 times a day over 2 weeks to locate my package which they could hardly ever do with correct info. I complained so much that they reversed my charges as asked by me and was charged nothing, since I have used them often and had an account with them previously.

Timeline

I can't say for sure if its a racket in your morroco or anywhere else but I do know of people complaining of paying a hefty fee to send a package and upon receip, the recipient has to pay again. It's ridiculous and I wouldn't even try fighting. I hope your husband feels better soon.

Best of luck on the rest of your journey!

Thank you for your reply. He is still staying strong, but after he got to the location he was told that the pick up location is 10 kilometers from where he is this morning. I am so proud that he is running all over Casablanca for this package that he needs for his interview. It shows how important I am to him.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Issues like these are exactly why I will only use DHL for international shipping. We had a problem with Philippines Customs and DHL's employees in the Philippines (they don't farm out work to local companies) worked to fix the issue and reduce the requested tariff by over 90%!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

A lot of third world countries or up and coming countries do this. This is common in certain areas in my fiancee's country. Pretty much it comes down to corrupt customs officials who pocket the $$.

Timeline

A lot of third world countries or up and coming countries do this. This is common in certain areas in my fiancee's country. Pretty much it comes down to corrupt customs officials who pocket the $$.

The reality is that the postal carrier does not inform the sender of the international package, so the unexpecting receiptient is lost with the customs processes. This causes undue hardship on both parties. It feels like an extension of the painful immigration processes that we all are subjected to on VJ. Can any of us have aany relief from painstaking processes?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

Do not use USPS Global Express Guaranteed...there is nothing guaranteed about it!!! Same thing happened to me when I tried to send things to my fiancé in Chile, they charge exorbanant fees, have no idea how to handle customs, and deliver your packages in terrible condition. The USPS has big problems in general, and this is just another example. They no longer have the business they do because we've become a digitalized world, so they are scamming us (and they're own employees to boot) in order to keep afloat. Keep in mind that the person probably handling your package is overworked, undertrained, and expected to produce at impossible speed. 'Nuff said...

I-751 Removal of Conditions sent - 9/7/13

NOA1 received - 9/17/13

Biometrics appointment - 10/8/13

Removal of Conditions approved - 12/16/13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.