zips

Why the US?

62 posts in this topic

I am surprised that a lot of people name health insurance as a reason not to like the US. At least for me as German, I put the US health insurance down on the positive side of reasons for why I opted to come to the US rather than have my wife come to Germany.

In Germany, I paid ~15% of my gross income for the mandatory state health insurance, which in my case was almost 650EUR (~$825) a month. For that I get a rather crappy service that other people (those without a job, retirees, low income) get for free or a lot cheaper. Doctors know that and treat you accordingly.

In the US, we have health insurance through my wife's job, we pay about $700 a month for the two of us and her son. It has a $3500 deductible, but even if I add that to the monthly premium it only brings us to about $1000 /month for three people compared to $825/ month for one that I paid in Germany. Also, my experience with the service provided here so far has been very positive. Doctors seem much more customer oriented, friendly and take more time for their patients than what I experienced in Germany.

So as long as you have a job that offers a decent health insurance, the US isn't all that bad.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

For me, my fiance in the US was the one with the solid job (I'm fresh out of school), he lives in a low cost of living area, whereas it's very expensive where I am, he's much closer to his family than I am to mine and would suffer more being so far away from them, and he doesn't like our harsh Canadian winters =P I won't lie, I'm going to miss the health care here, especially as I have a condition that requires surgery every couple of years, but we've worked that out with his insurance. I am, however, looking forward to moving to the south, where it's warm! Were it not for that, and if we had known how annoying the US immigration was going to be, we may have more strongly considered having him move up here to Canada.

Our situation was very similar, he also had the better job (it was actually using his degree) and even though Canada had the bonus of healthcare the cost of living in the Toronto area was just too high for my salary to support us both, plus his added school loan and car loan debts....We made a pact at teh beginning of our relationship that whoever had the better job then we would stay in their country. When moving time came near my husband re-assured me that when I was allowed to look for a job we could move to wherever I found a job in my degree (wildlife biology) as he has the needed experience adn degree that he can go anywhere ...

Our story just came down to the fact that he was more stubborn than I was about which country we would live in! He hates change but said if I really hated it in the States, we would move to Canada. But then added we'd never need to because he would go out of his way to make me love America! :P Very stubborn indeed!

Just find it interesting that we had the same POE date and yours was at the very place that my hubby and I met years ago!

I put the US health insurance down on the positive side of reasons for why I opted to come to the US rather than have my wife come to Germany.

I did too until I got screwed.

I think for us, it was not much of an issue, he wanted to come to the US, and I did not want to go the UK on a permanent basis. I am close to my family and he is not close to his so much, and that is my main reason for not wanting to go there. In addition, England is gloomy most of the time, and we both love the Southwest US with our beautiful sunshine and mostly warm temperatures. He said he has never really felt "at home" in the UK, and has always loved the US. As for the NHS, along with the National Insurance contributions it is far from free with the taxes he gets taken out of his pay checks, 45%...and, most dental work is still not free! His complaint is that if you are not in a critical state, you could wait months or years for an operation. Traffic is awful in the UK, as is the price of gas and public transport, and all of these things make a difference to our cost of living. He has made a statement that it is a little scary in the US, as there are no guns in the UK. I agree! He has made the statement that he will miss his 5 weeks vacation per year, but, it also seems that people in the UK seem to work longer hours per day/week than many of us in the US. These were just some of the comparisons we discussed. So, all in all, I would say, that it is just based on what works for a couple given how they plan to live their lives.

K1 Process
07/13/10: Mailed off I-129F to Vermont
07/23/10: NOA1
08/01/10: Alex went to England for 3 months
12/15/10: Alan arrived in America for 5 weeks
02/04/11: NOA2
02/19/11: Paperwork in London!
02/25/11: Packet 3 received
03/25/11: Police certificate complete
04/13/11: Medical in London
07/15/11: Alex finally got a job...forward ahead!
07/18/11: Paid for interview...waiting...
08/04/11: Called the consulate, told to wait 7 weeks
09/07/11: Called again, told not all paperwork is not in
09/08/11: Emailed consulate with details on tracking numbers for lost paperwork.
09/09/11: Contacted Senator's office for help, sent all paperwork through his office
09/13/11: Amazing...we have an appt! What a fiasco...
09/15/11: Alan realized he does not in fact have military D/C paperwork
09/16/11: Consulate contacted Alan and told him they do not have paperwork still!
09/21/11: Interview 9:00am-APPROVED!
09/27/11: Passport with Visa received
10/08/11: Alas! Together again!
11/11/11: Wedding

AOS Process
11/16/11: AOS packet mailed to Chicago lockbox
11/26/11: Honeymoon!
12/08/11: NOA1 for Permanent Residence & Employment Authorization
12/09/11: Biometrics appointment notice
01/03/12: Biometrics appointment
01/25/12: NOA: Case being transferred to CA for faster processing
02/02/12: Employment Authorization Approved
06/27/12: RFE, two "yes" questions needed elaboration
07/27/12: Welcome notice received! Greencard in hand

ROC Process

4/12/14: ROC packet mailed

11/25/14: RFE received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Well, actually for us it was not a clear cut answer. There are advantages to Peru and there are advantages to the US. It's really hard to compare them, as they both are so different and have different strengths and weaknesses. Ultimatly, like many people said one of the strongest advantages was my job pays more and once she has a green card, we have more travel availability. However, we both have a willingness to to eventually move back to the coast of Peru and to be honest, she actaully doesn't care much for the US and myself having spent time in many other countries, I can't necesarrily say it is a no-brainer to live here. For now, though, again mainly due to my work we're planning up here; however, if the problems with the visa became too much (not now, after a measly 50 days, but several months later) and furthermore with lay offs occuring here, we have talked seriously at times of saying screw it and using our savings to open a negocio there. Especially, as my Spanish is much better than her English.

-------------------------------

Met - January 2010
Engaged - 24 November 2010
Sent I-129F to Lewisville Lockbox - 7 December 2010
I-129F Received - 8 December 2010
NOA1 - 9 December 2010
Check Cashed - 10 December 2010
Touch - 13 December 2010
Touch - 31 December 2010
Touch - 3 May 2011
NOA 2 - 3 May 2011
NVC Received Petition - 11 May 2011
NVC Sent Petition to Lima - 13 May 2011
Packet 4 Received - 11 June 2011
Medical Exam - 30 June 2011
Interview - 5 July 2011
POE Ft Lauderdale - 24 July 2011

Legal Marriage - 5 August 2011

Filed AOS - 17 October 2011
I-485 Received - 18 October 2011
NOA Received - 31 October 2011
Check Cashed - 1 November 2011
Biometrics - 23 November 2011
NOA 2 Received - 4 January 2012
Interview Scheduled - 7 February 2012

Green Card Received 28 March 2012

Sent I-751 to VSC - 19 February 2014

I - 751 Received 21 February 2014

Biometrics 16 September 2013 - Were done already for I-90 for stolen Green Card.

Cash Checked 27 February 2014

My SO and I decided rather easily to reside in the U.S. because I have two children from a previous marriage and moving the children to a different country would be quite an adjustment to say the least. I already own a large home to house all of us and have amazing medical benefits through my employer. On the other hand, the job situation would likely be easier the other way around since I am an RN and can be a nurse just about anywhere. His job does not have the transfer option so we will have the not so fun task of finding a job here. But networking goes a long way! So I am already working that angle. We are also trying to figure out if he should sell his home in England or if we should keep it and rent it. We have many discussions about all of this and I had to laugh when I read OnyxandInari's comment regarding wildlife! That was one of the first things my SO brought up when visiting the deep south for the first time. He wanted to know the odds of being bitten by a brown recluse or encountering a snake when walking through the yard. I have never encountered either of the these things in the 8 years I have lived in this part of the country so it is not something I think about! But apparently the UK is devoid of such nuisances.

Keep the house! You'll want to move back someday! :thumbs:

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

My husband (a native of Northern Ireland) moved here because I have a son, who was 15 at the time.

My husband was anxious to leave the dreary weather. He never had a great job over there. And he has memories of political turmoil in his country that he was anxious to put behind him.

He misses the NHS. A lot. A lot a lot a lot.

He misses the public transport and the holiday time.

I think we will go back there one day. My son is doing his student teaching now. My parents are elderly. I'd like to go back after my son is settled in his own job and has a place of his own. I don't know if we would leave the US while my parents are still living.

I know we feel the social benefits and culture are far superior in the UK. I would like to go back. The husband has enough bad memories that I'm not sure how he REALLY feels.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Well for me it was gonna be me to move to the USA as my hubby is a little bias as he has never been to scotland. Guess he is more close to his family than I was with mines. I'm the type of person who could just go anywhere. There is different culture shocks here compared to back home in scotland. I certainly don't miss the terrible weather we get over there. I do miss having a proper cup of tea though. Don't like the milk or bread over here. On the positive side love the weather in Florida. Things I don't particular care for is the gun laws you got here & you wonder how high crime is when guns are involved? Everything over here is all about money. Pharmacuticals for one are a major rip off!! If you are in need of any sort of medication it's gonna cost you big time. So the health care kinda sucks on that aspect. The NHS is one of the good things in the UK at least it works.

My hubby & I are always having discussions how things work over here & he constantly keeps reminding me get use to it you aint living in scotland anymore.. Well maybe it's about time he see's how the UK works then he may understand where I'm coming from. Sometimes I have to walk away from him when the discussions get a little heated. I always question everything & perhaps I'm driving him nuts on that subject lol

We first met online 2004, but things started to get serious in Dec 2007. Made my first visit to the USA in march 2008 for 2 weeks. Then returned again in Aug 2008 for 3 months.. Then i came back to the UK for 5 months to return back to the USA April 2009 for another 3months.

TIMELINE

I-129f filed: 06/01/10

NOA1 received: 07/01/10

NOA2 received: 13/04/10

NVC received: 16/04/10

Left NVC: 19/04/10

Consulate Received: 21/04/10

Rec Instructions Pkt3: 23/04/10

Complete Instructions Pkt3: 24/05/10

Rec App. Letter Pkt4: 09/06/10

Medical Date: 30/06/10

Interview Date: 30/07/10

Interview Results: APPROVED

Received Visa: 13/08/10

Entered USA: 30/09/2010

Marriage: 24/10/2010

Filed AOS,EAD & AP: 10/01/2011

Received NOA1: 18/01/2011

Biometrics App. 25/02/2011

AOS: Transferred to California 14/02/2011

AOS & EAD: Approved

Received Greencard: 18/03/2011

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Australia rocks, lets just get that out in the open :P But honestly I was in a bit of a rut profession wise. My ex-bf had made life hell for me (emotionally abusive) before I met Tony so I was still kind of healing from that. I was working Melbourne but renting by yourself is REALLY expensive (I was renting in Melbourne (Clayton for those in the know) with my ex for $1600 a month for a 2 b/r apartment for the two of us) but I did earn well so I could have made it work, just kinda seems pointless to earn well and spend it all on rent.. so I would have had to go into a share house (which I'd done before and did NOT enjoy).

Tony was finishing college, he had student loans, and he didn't want to live in a different country to his dad (various reasons for that which don't seem as valid now).

I am MUCH closer to my family that he is to his (except his dad) but the closeness in family didn't override the other stuff and the fact that I was more in a "moving mind" than he was (if we weren't together I would have probably gone to UK for a while). Sure I earn more money in Australia (and so could he) but where would we live? My home town is very small so it would probably be a whole new town anyway (depending on where he got work I can get a job almost anywhere) so it's pretty much the same as moving to the US.

Medical in the US sucks. Food sucks a fair amount too and I can now understand the obesity thing now that I see it for myself. Gun laws don't worry me now we're in Iowa but in Houston it was pretty scary. For example, my wedding pics were delivered to the wrong place. Signature was required but they don't check ID.. then why bother with signature?? Anyway.. I of course called to complain that someone else was permitted to accept a product that was supposed to be signed for. The postal lady told me that in Houston they don't ask for ID because there have been instances where people get abusive and in Texas the law is you can shoot someone for being inside your home and are unlikely to be charged with murder because it's "protection of property" and "trespass" or some #######... that's just scary! (out of interest a 13 y/o boy signed for my pics while his mum wasn't home. When she got home and found the package and saw it was wedding pics she felt bad and returned it to sender).

Anyway I don't hate America, there's a lot I don't like but there's a lot that's good too. My main hates are:

- Healthcare (though honestly we have good insurance through BCBS and tony's work also provides Delta dental)

- My mother-in-law (and other in-laws too)

- closed-mindedness/ignorance of some (many) Americans I've encountered (no idea about world issues)

- the credit system (having your ID stolen you take a credit hit.. that doesn't really seem fair)

- Can't drink until 21... you can die in a war you're fighting for your country but god forbid you have alcohol (18 is adult, 18 makes sense).

Things I like:

- we were able to buy a house and the mortgage is cheaper than rent would be and it's a nice starter home :D

- internet.. I like cost is for speed, not d/l limits

- Tony dislikes his mother too.. makes the IL issues easier

- immigration was relatively easy (though expensive)

- food and cost of living is cheaper (makes up for the shitty incomes)

We could have moved to Aus, and there are times when I miss home a LOT but it's not off the cards and US just made sense at the time. The US isn't the "promise land". I didn't meet Tony and think "woohoo my ticket to the US!". He would have moved to Aus if I REALLY didn't want to leave Australia (though it would have been much longer to be together 'cause of college) but relationships are about compromise. I was okay with giving the US a go and he wasn't ready to leave the country he fought in Iraq for so there you go.

p.s. Someone mentioned the Scottish highlands.. man just thinking about that makes me jealous :P

Filed: Other Timeline

So as long as you have a job that offers a decent health insurance, the US isn't all that bad.

True.

It only gets bad once you get sick and they throw you out. And when you want to find a new health care provider, your rate goes up to $18,400 per year. But until that happens, enjoy!

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Australia rocks, lets just get that out in the open :P But honestly I was in a bit of a rut profession wise. My ex-bf had made life hell for me (emotionally abusive) before I met Tony so I was still kind of healing from that. I was working Melbourne but renting by yourself is REALLY expensive (I was renting in Melbourne (Clayton for those in the know) with my ex for $1600 a month for a 2 b/r apartment for the two of us) but I did earn well so I could have made it work, just kinda seems pointless to earn well and spend it all on rent.. so I would have had to go into a share house (which I'd done before and did NOT enjoy).

Tony was finishing college, he had student loans, and he didn't want to live in a different country to his dad (various reasons for that which don't seem as valid now).

I am MUCH closer to my family that he is to his (except his dad) but the closeness in family didn't override the other stuff and the fact that I was more in a "moving mind" than he was (if we weren't together I would have probably gone to UK for a while). Sure I earn more money in Australia (and so could he) but where would we live? My home town is very small so it would probably be a whole new town anyway (depending on where he got work I can get a job almost anywhere) so it's pretty much the same as moving to the US.

Medical in the US sucks. Food sucks a fair amount too and I can now understand the obesity thing now that I see it for myself. Gun laws don't worry me now we're in Iowa but in Houston it was pretty scary. For example, my wedding pics were delivered to the wrong place. Signature was required but they don't check ID.. then why bother with signature?? Anyway.. I of course called to complain that someone else was permitted to accept a product that was supposed to be signed for. The postal lady told me that in Houston they don't ask for ID because there have been instances where people get abusive and in Texas the law is you can shoot someone for being inside your home and are unlikely to be charged with murder because it's "protection of property" and "trespass" or some #######... that's just scary! (out of interest a 13 y/o boy signed for my pics while his mum wasn't home. When she got home and found the package and saw it was wedding pics she felt bad and returned it to sender).

Anyway I don't hate America, there's a lot I don't like but there's a lot that's good too. My main hates are:

- Healthcare (though honestly we have good insurance through BCBS and tony's work also provides Delta dental)

- My mother-in-law (and other in-laws too)

- closed-mindedness/ignorance of some (many) Americans I've encountered (no idea about world issues)

- the credit system (having your ID stolen you take a credit hit.. that doesn't really seem fair)

- Can't drink until 21... you can die in a war you're fighting for your country but god forbid you have alcohol (18 is adult, 18 makes sense).

Things I like:

- we were able to buy a house and the mortgage is cheaper than rent would be and it's a nice starter home :D

- internet.. I like cost is for speed, not d/l limits

- Tony dislikes his mother too.. makes the IL issues easier

- immigration was relatively easy (though expensive)

- food and cost of living is cheaper (makes up for the shitty incomes)

We could have moved to Aus, and there are times when I miss home a LOT but it's not off the cards and US just made sense at the time. The US isn't the "promise land". I didn't meet Tony and think "woohoo my ticket to the US!". He would have moved to Aus if I REALLY didn't want to leave Australia (though it would have been much longer to be together 'cause of college) but relationships are about compromise. I was okay with giving the US a go and he wasn't ready to leave the country he fought in Iraq for so there you go.

p.s. Someone mentioned the Scottish highlands.. man just thinking about that makes me jealous :P

LOL yeah the good old scottish highlands beautiful place it is.. I do kinda miss home there & my friends are missing me like mad.. Just trying to adjust my life here as there is so many things that are different. I'm sure I will get there in the end.

We first met online 2004, but things started to get serious in Dec 2007. Made my first visit to the USA in march 2008 for 2 weeks. Then returned again in Aug 2008 for 3 months.. Then i came back to the UK for 5 months to return back to the USA April 2009 for another 3months.

TIMELINE

I-129f filed: 06/01/10

NOA1 received: 07/01/10

NOA2 received: 13/04/10

NVC received: 16/04/10

Left NVC: 19/04/10

Consulate Received: 21/04/10

Rec Instructions Pkt3: 23/04/10

Complete Instructions Pkt3: 24/05/10

Rec App. Letter Pkt4: 09/06/10

Medical Date: 30/06/10

Interview Date: 30/07/10

Interview Results: APPROVED

Received Visa: 13/08/10

Entered USA: 30/09/2010

Marriage: 24/10/2010

Filed AOS,EAD & AP: 10/01/2011

Received NOA1: 18/01/2011

Biometrics App. 25/02/2011

AOS: Transferred to California 14/02/2011

AOS & EAD: Approved

Received Greencard: 18/03/2011

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

True.

It only gets bad once you get sick and they throw you out. And when you want to find a new health care provider, your rate goes up to $18,400 per year. But until that happens, enjoy!

Sorry but this doesn't sound correct.

Not if you're covered under a group policy through your employer - the insurance company can't cancel your plan alone without cancelling everyone else's who's under the same group coverage. This is the point of group coverage, and topaz75 talked specifically about having group coverage through your employer.

That isn't to say that I don't see the many flaws of US healthcare (like I equally see the many flaws of the English NHS).

But please, no more heated discussions on this topic. And everyone, let's keep in mind that it's usually the bad stories that make it to the public eye rather than the good ones - for any system.

Just yesterday I was reading in the newspaper about a one-year old baby from the UK who's been diagnosed with a rare form of child cancer which has expanded through her head. She's gone through chemo and all but for the last stage of the treatment (which can save her or cost her her life if she doesn't do it!!) she needs a specialized medicine, which the NHS has refused to fund. So her parents are now trying to raise 300,000 pounds to take her to the US to undergo this specialized treatment.

Not so serious (but still annoying), the 70-year old father of a work colleague of mine in London had an operation in one of London's biggest and best NHS hospitals. He was given a catheter and was told he'd have to have it just for 4 days post-operation. Two weeks later and after he had long left the hospital, the catheter was still there because they couldn't find ANY available nurse to go and remove it. His son (my colleague) kept calling and pestering them every day, and originally he was given an appointment for after a month(!!!!) for catheter removal. Fun huh? After a lot of pestering, they ended up squeezing him in for an appointment for after 5 days. But still, the poor guy ended up with the catheter for 20 whole days, when he was only supposed to have it for 4 days originally, due to lack of NHS staff to do this simple job of removing the catheter.

I hope you see my point that every system has its flaws, and yes, these flaws can have a serious impact on people's lives no matter where you are.

My CR1 timeline (DCF London):
June 26, 2010 - civil wedding
Aug 2, 2010 - I-130 package mailed to the London Consulate (DCF)
Aug 9, 2010 - NOA1 (confirmation of receipt) via email
Sep 4, 2010 - religious wedding
Oct 21, 2010 - NOA2
Nov 25, 2010 - Case number received in the mail
Nov 29, 2010 - Medical
Dec 1, 2010 - DS-230I & DS-2001 forms mailed back
Feb 1, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!
Feb 7, 2011 - Passport with Visa received via courier
June 7, 2011 - POE Los Angeles (LAX)
June 18, 2011 - 2-Year Green card received in the mail!!!

My ROC journey:
April 2, 2013 - I-751 package mailed to California Service Center

April 3, 2013 - NOA1 date
April 8, 2013 - check cleared
May 6, 2013 - Biometrics completed

July 25, 2013 - 10 year green card APPROVED!! (notification via text and email, and website updated)

July 29, 2013 - ROC approval letter received in the mail

July 31, 2013 - 10 year green card received in the mail!!!

My N-400 journey:

March 19, 2014 - N-400 package mailed to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

March 24, 2014 - NOA1 date and Priority Date

March 27, 2014 - Check cleared

April 21, 2014 - Biometrics done

May 7, 2014 - In line for interview

June 23, 2014 - Scheduled for interview

July 28, 2014 - Interview - PASSED!!

July 30, 2014 - In line for oath

July 31, 2014 - Scheduled for oath

Aug 2, 2014 - Oath letter received

Aug 27, 2014 - Oath ceremony, I am a US citizen!!!

Sep 11, 2014 - US passport received

What is it with the school hours in South Carolina? The kids have to be at school by 700am. It's just as well they get a ride from their friends or they would have to catch the bus at 545am which is bloody stupid.

Another thing that is bad here is the traffic cops, holy sh*t they are everywhere. Even in small rural towns their out to get you. I found out that cops from small towns get paid terrible, and they will ticket you if you are going 2-3 mph over the speed limit. The more tickets they give out, the bigger wage they get.

beach_1_001.jpg

I currently live in Germany with my German husband.

I moved here in July 2008 to be with my husband, and not vice-versa because my older stepson (who was 16 at the time) had Lymphoma Cancer. There was absolutely no way I would want my husband to leave his child in a country halfway around the world when he has cancer. Nor did my husband want to leave with him in the hospital. Stepson was declared cancer free in October 2008, a couple weeks after our wedding. :)

We have stayed here in Germany since then mainly because of financial reasons. My husband is working in his career field of choice and makes enough money to support our family of four (plus one dog). I, on the other hand, did not finish my schooling back in California and, while I made enough money to support the family prior to moving here, I was not working in the career field that I WANT to be working in.

We continue to "dream" of living in the USA in the future, but we are not completely sure when that will happen. My husband just signed a new work contract, and we are relocating for it. Hopefully I will be able to land a more serious job in the new town, and then I will feel more comfortable staying here longer.

We plan on moving to the states in the future. I want to raise my own family there. (I have no chilren of my own yet.) I do NOT like Germany's education system and would rather my children be raised with an "American lifestyle."

Edited by veronicavonn

I am the USC, my husband is German.

I resided in Germany from July 2008-October 2013.

I have two stepsons who are staying in Germany.

Our son was born 3/3/2012 and our daughter was born 4/4/2015.

DCF STARTED!MAY 14, 2013: I-130 Petition sent to Frankfurt as registered mail w/ return receipt!

MAY 15, 2013: Mail signed for in Frankfurt. NOA1

MAY 21, 2013: Return receipt came back in the mail.

MAY 25, 2013: $420 Petition fee was charged to our credit card.

MAY 25, 2013: NOA1 paperwork received in the mail.

JULY 12, 2013: NOA2 received.

JULY 13, 2013: NOA2 sent back.

AUG 15, 2013: Packet 3 sent in.

AUG 30, 2013: Husband's medical in Berlin.

SEPT 12, 2013: Received letter with husband's interview date!

SEPT 19, 2013: INTERVIEW. APPROVED!!

SEPT 21, 2013: Visa received.

OCT 5, 2013: POE in Newark, NJ (layover).

DEC 17, 2013: SSN Card finally arrived!

DEC 19, 2013: Husband (beneficiary) got his first job in the USA! And he loves it!

DEC 28, 2013: Green card arrived!

FUTURE: Visas for my stepsons!

We decided to move to the US after my hubby had been living in England on a spousal visa for a year. He never really settled here, missed his friends terribly and generally was not that happy. I don't like unhappy D! So we talked and as I had spent two 3 month trips to his homestate and loved it we began to consider the move Stateside.

I am very very close to my family, however have spent my life moving every couple of years and no really close close friends. As my parents loved where we were thinking of moving to they gave us their blessing to make the move seeing the potential for a happy, healthier life than in the UK. They are already booking in their trips over and I don't even have visa in hand yet!

In the end I wanted my hubby to be happy, WA made me so happy when I stayed there and I felt at home there within days. I love his family to bits, his friends are already closer to me than many friends I have in UK. I didn't really consider anything else.

Now as I am a couple of months away from making the move I am beginning to think about the finer details like healthcare, housing, shopping, vacation time etc but I guess I will get used to it - it is not going to change my relationship with my husband and therefore whatever it brings we will deal with. I just want to live a normal live with him again whereever that may be in the world!

Married: 02-15-2010

USCIS:

04-16-2010 I-130 Sent

05-04-2010 I-130 NOA1

10-02-2010 I-130 Approved/NOA2

Total Days at USCIS: 152 days

NVC:

10-06-2010 - NVC Received Case

10-15-2010 - Assigned case#

10-18-2010 - Sent DS-3032 by email

10-29-2010 - AOS bill received

10-30-2010 - Paid I-864 Bill/IV Bill

10-30-2010 - Sent IV package to NVC from UK

11-06-2010 - Hubby returned I-864 forms

11-19-2010 - NVC entered IV onto system

11-22-2010 - NVC enter AOS onto system

12-01-2010 - RFE received for AOS - missing W2 and joint sponser citizenship proof

12-07-2010 - RFE docs sent to NVC via express mail

12-09-2010 - NVC receives in mailroom

12-15-2010 - RFE entered on system YIPPEEE according to operator advice!

12-20-2010 - Checklist received date changes to 20th Dec according to AVRS

01-05-2011 - AVRS changes to missing docs - spoke to NVC who said it was false RFE. I hope so!

01-10-2011 - SIF!!!!!!

01-10-2011 - Case Complete

01-14-2011 - Interview Date Assigned

Total time at NVC - 97 long days

Consulate

01-19-2011 - Visa Medical in London

02-14-2011 - INTERVIEW!!! APPROVED!!

02-15-2011 - Our First Wedding Anniversary!

02-17-2011 - Courier delivered my VISA docs to me!! YAAAAY!

03-28-2011 - POE Seattle, WA

04-06-2011 - SSN card arrived

I-130 Mailing to Visa Approval - 304 days

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.