yido

HOW SHOULD I FILE MY 2010 INCOME TAX

96 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

my wife in ghana with no SSN and no any income in united states'so if i want to file my incometax do i have to file single or marreid.because she will be taking this tax document to the embassy whenever they call her for interveiew.i dont know which way to follow;and no room for any mistakes.so please help ;those who have gone throug this cr-1 process thank you

If you are not single than you should not say that you are single. You can either file jointly or married filing separately. She can get a tax ID number for the purposes of filing taxes.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Well, the easiest way would be to file single unless you want to wait for 8-10 weeks to paper file and try to get an ITIN. I filed head of household last year and just amended my return in november. You can file single for now and then amend your return later to get more money back. You have 3 years to file an amendment.

If your wife has the interview before april 18th this year, technically you would be good using last year's return. When I did the affidavit of support for my wife last year I just send copies of my previous years returns (transcripts) and then sent my w-2 for 2009 with it too.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Not filing married would be considered tax fraud and could come with a prison sentence. Also how are you going to use taxes from a year you are married to show that you can be a sponsor and have it say single when the whole point of the interview is to show you have a genuine marriage? It seems counterintuitive and screams fraud.

Edited by amykathleen2005

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

You can file however you want. Filing single gives you a smaller return in most cases. They make getting an ITIN such a PITA anyway. It was impossible to get one for my wife and I didnt want to take the chance of waiting for nearly 3 months and then them not accepting the copy of her passport.

Apply for ITIN now for your wife if you can wait...it will be less hassle then doing an amended return (which I had to do and it was a pain) later.

how was it a pain? it was pretty easy using turbotax...I just have to wait forever for the return. :whistle:

Not filing married would be considered tax fraud and could come with a prison sentence. Also how are you going to use taxes from a year you are married to show that you can be a sponsor and have it say single when the whole point of the interview is to show you have a genuine marriage? It seems counterintuitive and screams fraud.

My taxes showed I was married to my ex. They did not care that I didnt file my taxes yet for 2009 at the time (she had her interview 15th of April last year). Most people have been married for a short time and the only way you can file for an ITIN is by filing your taxes. This isnt for an AOS or ROC interview

Edited by Scott and Mhay

For our Full timeline

event.png

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

The first step to filing your federal income tax return is to determine which filing status to use. Your filing status is used to determine your filing requirements, standard deduction, eligibility for certain credits and deductions, and your correct tax. There are five filing statuses: Single, Married Filing Jointly, Married Filing Separately, Head of Household and Qualifying Widow(er) with Dependent Child.

Here are eight facts about the five filing status options the IRS wants you to know so that you can choose the best option for your situation.

1. Your marital status on the last day of the year determines your marital status for the entire year.

2. If more than one filing status applies to you, choose the one that gives you the lowest tax obligation.

3. Single filing status generally applies to anyone who is unmarried, divorced or legally separated according to state law.

(I would think most states would consider you legally separated if you dont currently live together)

4. A married couple may file a joint return together. The couple’s filing status would be Married Filing Jointly.

5. If your spouse died during the year and you did not remarry during 2010, usually you may still file a joint return with that spouse for the year of death.

6. A married couple may elect to file their returns separately. Each person’s filing status would generally be Married Filing Separately.

7. Head of Household generally applies to taxpayers who are unmarried. You must also have paid more than half the cost of maintaining a home for you and a qualifying person to qualify for this filing status.

You may be able to choose Qualifying Widow(er) with Dependent Child as your filing status if your spouse died during 2008 or 2009, you have a dependent child and you meet certain other conditions.

There’s much more information about determining your filing status in IRS Publication 501, Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information. Publication 501 is available at http://www.irs.gov or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676). You can also use the Interactive Tax Assistant on the IRS website to determine your filing status. The ITA tool is a tax law resource on the IRS website that takes you through a series of questions and provides you with responses to tax law questions.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=105098,00.html

For our Full timeline

event.png

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The first step to filing your federal income tax return is to determine which filing status to use. Your filing status is used to determine your filing requirements, standard deduction, eligibility for certain credits and deductions, and your correct tax. There are five filing statuses: Single, Married Filing Jointly, Married Filing Separately, Head of Household and Qualifying Widow(er) with Dependent Child.

Here are eight facts about the five filing status options the IRS wants you to know so that you can choose the best option for your situation.

1. Your marital status on the last day of the year determines your marital status for the entire year.

2. If more than one filing status applies to you, choose the one that gives you the lowest tax obligation.

3. Single filing status generally applies to anyone who is unmarried, divorced or legally separated according to state law.

(I would think most states would consider you legally separated if you dont currently live together)

4. A married couple may file a joint return together. The couple’s filing status would be Married Filing Jointly.

5. If your spouse died during the year and you did not remarry during 2010, usually you may still file a joint return with that spouse for the year of death.

6. A married couple may elect to file their returns separately. Each person’s filing status would generally be Married Filing Separately.

7. Head of Household generally applies to taxpayers who are unmarried. You must also have paid more than half the cost of maintaining a home for you and a qualifying person to qualify for this filing status.

You may be able to choose Qualifying Widow(er) with Dependent Child as your filing status if your spouse died during 2008 or 2009, you have a dependent child and you meet certain other conditions.

There’s much more information about determining your filing status in IRS Publication 501, Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information. Publication 501 is available at http://www.irs.gov or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676). You can also use the Interactive Tax Assistant on the IRS website to determine your filing status. The ITA tool is a tax law resource on the IRS website that takes you through a series of questions and provides you with responses to tax law questions.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=105098,00.html

Wow! This is quite elaborate. Thanx for the info.

Timeline

my wife in ghana with no SSN and no any income in united states'so if i want to file my incometax do i have to file single or marreid.because she will be taking this tax document to the embassy whenever they call her for interveiew.i dont know which way to follow;and no room for any mistakes.so please help ;those who have gone throug this cr-1 process thank you

Yido,

I was in the same boat you are in last year. As a matter of fact my accountant filed my tax as single although I was married in Sept. of 2009. So when I called IRS the agent said it was wrong to file as single when I was married, as a matter of fact he seemed irritated by that. He suggested I file a 1040X to amend my tax and then I had to go to the IRS website to fill the W-7. I attached the biographic page of my wife's passport to the W-7 and mailed the whole packet to ITIN Operation in Texas after I took the W-7 home to have my sign both it and the amended tax which now reflected married filing jointly. I sent this around September and I was told last week to expect the refund sometime within the next few weeks. IRS will then mail the ITIN number to your home address in the States and you can use this to file other returns until she is able to join you here. Once she comes and receives her SSN, you will have to take the ITIN form to a local IRS office to have the ITIN changed to her SSN. If you need help, send me a PM.

Here is the link to the IRS website on the W-7 and ITIN: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96287,00.html

good luck

Marriage: 09-12-2009

USCIS

4-26-10 Sent of I-130

10-07-10 Approved

10-12-10 Received hardcopy of NOA2

NVC

10-12-10: NVC has application but case number yet to be assigned.

10-18-10: Case number assigned.

10-19-10: Provided both email addresses

10-23-10: DS-3032 emailed; no response

10-28-10: Received IIN, dithering around instead of paying the fee

10-30-10: DS3032 Kit and I-864 AOS review fee ($88) online payment; In Process

11-03-10: I-864 AOS status 'PAID"; printed cover sheet and mailed I-846EZ package

11-04-10: I-864EZ AOS received and signed by N. Visa Center

11-05-10: DS-230 IV fee ($404) online payment

11-17-10: AOS entered into the system

12-03-10: IV fee paid ($404); In Process

12-06-10: DS-230 IV status 'PAID',

12-07-10: IV package mailed out

12-08-10: DS-230 IV package delivery; signed by N. Visa Center

12-14-10: DS230 entered into system; yay

12-29-10: SIF

12-30-10: Case Completed @ NVC

Total days @ NVC:79 I-130 to Case Complete 249 days

Consulate

08-25-11: Consulate Interview Schedule

xxxx: Medicals

10-20-11: Interview 8:30AM Need Co-sponsor

11-17-11: Visa granted

12-09-11: Picked up visa from Accra Consulate

filsm5.png

event.png

WZs0m5.png

Timeline

u can file single wen she get here and get ssn amend it that all.if u want to file jointly and get an itin number u can but this takes a bit of time

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

When I filed taxes last year, I was in fact married, however since my spouse was not in the States and did not have a Social Security number, my accountant advised that I would file Single. Upon her entering the country and obtaining a SS# and filing 2010 taxes, my accountant will amend last years filing to show I was married and the adjustment will be made. I am expecting a nice return this year although it took an extra year to get it. Nothing at all illegal by doing it this way!

There's two path for you, OP.

File as single. In this case, you taxes should be just as it was last year. Then when you wife gets here, you can have your taxes for '10 amended.

Or

You filed as married, filing jointly. In that case you will need to include Form W7 with your tax return. You will need your wife's passport copies (usually certified copies.) And you must file your taxes via paper. IRS will assign and ITIN for your wife and proceed as normal.

If your wife has no chance of coming to America before tax season is over and getting in SSN, I would recommend the second option. Not only will not have to do things later but having your wife on you Tax return is just another proof of your bona-fide marriage that you can have your wife take with her to the interview. Not a required thing but always nice to have. Good luck. Don't over-complicate life.

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

When I filed taxes last year, I was in fact married, however since my spouse was not in the States and did not have a Social Security number, my accountant advised that I would file Single. Upon her entering the country and obtaining a SS# and filing 2010 taxes, my accountant will amend last years filing to show I was married and the adjustment will be made. I am expecting a nice return this year although it took an extra year to get it. Nothing at all illegal by doing it this way!

I am planning on going the same route!

yeMBfha.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Last year I did the same thing as adviced by my accountant, I filed head of household. My husband has been in the US now since November and I will file jointly for 2010 taxes. She will amend it now that he is in the country!

Edited by mamamimi

Removal of Conditions 8/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.