coraliesolms

Job Interview

83 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The techniques for job hunting has changed a lot! I know many places won't even accept a resume if ya walk into their hospital---Its--here is the website, apply that way! Which doesn't give one a happy, comfy feeling. Its a frustrating experience for many of us canucks that have to start back at zero!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think the most frusterating thing about it is that by making everyone apply online we can't show up and hand in our stuff in person to show how personable and professional we are. That first impression of people dropping off resume's was always how we sorted out the people we even wanted to bother with doing an interview for. I feel as though I'm not as impressive on paper as I am for real. Yeah all my credentials are there but thats not who I am, ya know? And not having the ability to follow up with anyone because there is no contact on 90% of the sites is also frusterating, not that the 10% of the ppl you can contact are any better, they don't want to deal with you unless they decide your resume is good. Its just so completely different. I'm very glad I got this job I'm starting next week, but I was beginning to wonder how I could make my resume scream at people, because to me it feels like half the time they didn't even look.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

When I worked in Canada at the pet store, we would mark a red Y on the corner after the person left the store so as to say Yes look at this resume. If there was no red Y the manager threw it out without even reading the name. The least amount of resumes that came in the door in 1 day was probably 15 resumes. I cant imagine how many they get online in one day or how they even sort through them...

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

we would write whether they wanted full time or part time on it, ask them a couple questions and then after they left we'd look over it. At the store I worked at we got so many applicants for technicians from people who thought they were qualified because this one time they installed a video card for their friend, but they had no education or experience in the field at all. We would just toss all the ones that had no qualifiers, and all the ones who came in looking like they just rolled out of bed (jean shorts, flip flops and a wrinkled tshirt is not how you should dress when applying to a place that's employee's all wear business casual dress)

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for that. Its true. This online applications sucks. No personal contact, no first impressions. And some of them are so friggin long!!!! They want everything but your first born it seems. I even looked at one online application where they wanted a picture submitted!! Isn't that illegal or something in the hiring field??

The techniques for job hunting has changed a lot! I know many places won't even accept a resume if ya walk into their hospital---Its--here is the website, apply that way! Which doesn't give one a happy, comfy feeling. Its a frustrating experience for many of us canucks that have to start back at zero!!

Timeline

Wow a picture? That's so weird. Some of the online applications I did asked some pretty personal questions, but then had a little qualifier saying, "Answer Optional" or whatever. But what are people going to think about that? You want a competitive advantage and leaving half of the application blank probably isn't going to give you that.

When I was applying for jobs, I applied at a lot of different places in a ton of different fields just hoping to get something, somewhere. I was sick of being unemployed. I really only looked hard for a job for about a month, but at that point I was unemployed for about 9 months since I quit my job early, and then decided to be unemployed here for a while due to a pending move of over 70 miles. But, a month of looking hard still took a huge toll on me. It drove me insane. For those of you who actively worked at finding a job for months and months, I can only imagine how stressful it was! The feeling of rejection for me was huge. But there is something good out there for everyone! It is only a matter of time.

I think the hardest (and more intrusive) applications were for retail jobs. I wonder why that is?

I think its because you are the "face of the company", and they want to make sure you are not a maniac. Also with retail you are dealing with both money and stock, usually this means you have to be at least halfway trustworthy. I get the extensive checks and questions, I just hate the "dont call us well call you's", my already bruised ego feels super bashed right now.... :(

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So Monday came and still no SSN card, so I dropped by the SSA office downtown on my way to work. They had no record of me ever applying via my visa forms, and said that this happens all the time. Ugh. Frustrating. Anyway, I ordered a new one, and my card will be here within two weeks (the man promised this time!) and I can go in anytime from today to get him to tell me the number. Does anyone know if my husband can go in and get the number for me? I don't want to be late to work again... otherwise, I might lose the whole reason I wanted the SSN so bad in the first place :P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.