coraliesolms

Job Interview

83 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Scrubs and feeding dogs? sounds like my kind of job? what exactly did you get hired as or for? Tell them I want in ha ha

Generally all you need is a GED. My position is a Veterinary Assistant. Sometimes called Kennel Attendants or "Pet Nurse" as well. Basically you clean the dogs, clean up after them feed them walk them. Keep the Hospital clean, help the techs or vets when they need help with restraint or carrying an animal. Keep an eye on the animals recovering from surgery to make sure they aren't sitting in their own mess etc.Do laundry help with the food stock for the little store part. All kinds of things like that. Some of the smaller places want someone with experience because you need to do more hands on stuff like be in the surgery room to help etc. But if you can find a large vet place they can teach you how to clean the way they need it done. This place is HUGE! its basically the Emergency clinic that is open ALL the time. They were hiring to fill 4 positions 3 pt and 1 ft!

I have had a hard time finding them because in our state the Assistant job does not come up often, its something fairly new to the USA where as Canada has been doing the assistants for a while in vet places. Keep an eye out for a position tho and if the requirements fit you then no harm in applying for it, they are usually willing to train for the position!

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Generally all you need is a GED. My position is a Veterinary Assistant. Sometimes called Kennel Attendants or "Pet Nurse" as well. Basically you clean the dogs, clean up after them feed them walk them. Keep the Hospital clean, help the techs or vets when they need help with restraint or carrying an animal. Keep an eye on the animals recovering from surgery to make sure they aren't sitting in their own mess etc.Do laundry help with the food stock for the little store part. All kinds of things like that. Some of the smaller places want someone with experience because you need to do more hands on stuff like be in the surgery room to help etc. But if you can find a large vet place they can teach you how to clean the way they need it done. This place is HUGE! its basically the Emergency clinic that is open ALL the time. They were hiring to fill 4 positions 3 pt and 1 ft!

I have had a hard time finding them because in our state the Assistant job does not come up often, its something fairly new to the USA where as Canada has been doing the assistants for a while in vet places. Keep an eye out for a position tho and if the requirements fit you then no harm in applying for it, they are usually willing to train for the position!

If you are interested in a position like this, maybe volunteering at the local animal shelter might help you. You will get some experience dealing with the animals and most likely all the other tasks as well. I would love to volunteer at the animal shelter, but I know that our apt would soon be over run with animals. The commercials on tv put me in tears and make me want to take every one of the animals home!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you are interested in a position like this, maybe volunteering at the local animal shelter might help you. You will get some experience dealing with the animals and most likely all the other tasks as well. I would love to volunteer at the animal shelter, but I know that our apt would soon be over run with animals. The commercials on tv put me in tears and make me want to take every one of the animals home!

LOL I am suppose to start college for Veterarian Assistant in Just a few weeks but Have yet to hear whether I got in or not. Was On a waiting list but only the first person so I figured I would get in..

I volunteer at the Humane Society Once a week Since a few weeks ago.

Yes I know I have been looking for entry level around here but they dont seem to like people without a Certificate or degreee.

Thats awesome INKY, you have my dream Job lol

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

LOL I am suppose to start college for Veterarian Assistant in Just a few weeks but Have yet to hear whether I got in or not. Was On a waiting list but only the first person so I figured I would get in..

I volunteer at the Humane Society Once a week Since a few weeks ago.

Yes I know I have been looking for entry level around here but they dont seem to like people without a Certificate or degreee.

Thats awesome INKY, you have my dream Job lol

Sometimes if not enough people sign up they don't end up running the class/program =( I almost ran into that when I was trying to get into the Vet assistant program at algonquin college in Canada.

I hope you get in tho because I really enjoyed the assistant program I took in Canada. I could almost be an un-registered vet tech with all the training I got.

After a few months of working i'm going to go with my husband to the base finance office and see how much of his GI bill I can get to go to school for vet tech. At some point I would like to be able to work as a tech and get in more on helping in surgerys and stuff like that. So even tho I really really don't want to go back to school, I may be going back for another two years for vet tech program. lol

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Timeline

Sometimes if not enough people sign up they don't end up running the class/program =( I almost ran into that when I was trying to get into the Vet assistant program at algonquin college in Canada.

I hope you get in tho because I really enjoyed the assistant program I took in Canada. I could almost be an un-registered vet tech with all the training I got.

After a few months of working i'm going to go with my husband to the base finance office and see how much of his GI bill I can get to go to school for vet tech. At some point I would like to be able to work as a tech and get in more on helping in surgerys and stuff like that. So even tho I really really don't want to go back to school, I may be going back for another two years for vet tech program. lol

I hope so, Their are 26 spots and when I signed up almost three months ago they were full but I was the first on a waiting list.

4 years of college here to become a vet Tech. first two years are just for college classes you need before you can take the Vet tech class. But hey it may be worth it

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

I hope so, Their are 26 spots and when I signed up almost three months ago they were full but I was the first on a waiting list.

4 years of college here to become a vet Tech. first two years are just for college classes you need before you can take the Vet tech class. But hey it may be worth it

If i'm going to vatterott, its only 2 years AAS for vet tech. The only school close by here is vatterott unless I want to move out of my house and go to a specialty school for vets and techs, which im not willing to move away from my husband! Our state only does national registration exam as well.. we don't have a state registration exam and I hear the National one is deadly...

Timeline

If i'm going to vatterott, its only 2 years AAS for vet tech. The only school close by here is vatterott unless I want to move out of my house and go to a specialty school for vets and techs, which im not willing to move away from my husband! Our state only does national registration exam as well.. we don't have a state registration exam and I hear the National one is deadly...

yeah there is only one school in Maryland http://www.ccbcmd.edu/allied_health/vet/index.html

And you need 70 credits.

http://www.ccbcmd.edu/media/allied_health/vet/admiss_pac.pdf

SO i figure assistant First then Technician . :)

age.png

age.png

event.png

Timeline

yeah there is only one school in Maryland http://www.ccbcmd.edu/allied_health/vet/index.html

And you need 70 credits.

http://www.ccbcmd.edu/media/allied_health/vet/admiss_pac.pdf

SO i figure assistant First then Technician . :)

If you don't do too well with dogs being cut open infront of you or eye balls hanging out of sockets etc then Assistant is the one you want hehe. You mostly see them after the surgery is done already and are making sure they are clean and compfy.

Timeline

If you don't do too well with dogs being cut open infront of you or eye balls hanging out of sockets etc then Assistant is the one you want hehe. You mostly see them after the surgery is done already and are making sure they are clean and compfy.

Yeah I have discussed that with the hubby over the past few months but I seem to always be the one that deals with everything. My cat when I was 14 got hit by a car and I had to hold his arm together as we drove him to the vet. In December My dogs got neutered and one of them ripped open his incision (I mean the whole thing, It was gross) I Had to hold him down as she put more stitches in him. When we got home he somehow took them out again (he had a dome on so who knows) and This time I had to put "butterflies" everyday for 10 days and a herbal cream on his "ouchie" 3 times daily.

So blood and all that does not seem to bother me, at least not pet blood. Human blood well that is a different story .

However I do not know how well I would deal with a dog being put down.

Not to mention I really do not think I want to go to college for 4 years.

Edited by Canadiandggal

age.png

age.png

event.png

Timeline

However I do not know how well I would deal with a dog being put down.

Not to mention I really do not think I want to go to college for 4 years.

During my interview they had a code red and i watched a dog die infront of me with the techs trying to keep it alive. It is not easy to see that or to watch them put a dog down.

I'm curious as to why they did not use super glue and kept trying to stitch our dog shut... iv only ever seen them use super glue to close neuters because it heals faster and cant be licked apart! Also hurts less during healing for the animal.

Timeline

During my interview they had a code red and i watched a dog die infront of me with the techs trying to keep it alive. It is not easy to see that or to watch them put a dog down.

I'm curious as to why they did not use super glue and kept trying to stitch our dog shut... iv only ever seen them use super glue to close neuters because it heals faster and cant be licked apart! Also hurts less during healing for the animal.

Yeah, I Think In my case it would depend on the "reason" and situation. If A dog is 14 and is in constant pain, The owner feels that the pet is in too much pain. I would understand and be able to deal with the situation with more strength but I do not know how I could deal with seeing a "over Populated kennel" dog be put down.. I would probably bring it home lol .

So I want a No kill shelter if I work in a shelter.

they did use it after his neuter, They used stitches in the inside and glue on the outer incision.. But he found a way around it. When I brought him back they put stitches on the outside as well to try to stop him but as I said he "found a way". Worst part was he is not the licker , my jackabee is the one I was worried about as he licks constantly. Oh well They are both nicely healed now and It never has to happen again lol.

age.png

age.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would call and ask how the hiring process is going as you haven't heard back. Do you all work in Canada or are these jobs for where you are moving? I have too been applying for months and now the calls start coming. Had one interview, are phoning today to set up second, then I have one today. The worse part is I can't tell them I am married to am American and moving to the USA. Our case could be complete within the next three months. then I will have to ask for a week off to go to Montreal (medical and interview), I don't think a company will allow that - so will probably have to quit for Montreal and hope like hell we get accepted. What to do.

Oh you mentioned credit report. From what I understand the two major credit bureaus are connected so they can check your credit rating from the USA. Hope this helps.

Sept 13, 2009 - Met Online

June 18, 2010 - Married in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Sept 3, 2010 : I-130 Sent

Sept 14, 2010: NOA1 Issued (Hard Copy)

Dec 10, 2010: NOA2 Approval!!!

85 Days since NOA1 - NOA2

------------------

NVC Received File - Dec 14, 2010

Dec 31, 2010 Received Case #/

Dec 31, 2010: I-864(AOS) fee ($88) payment Received

Jan 4, 2011: I-864 (AOS) PAID

Jan 5, 2011: AOS package Via Mail

Jan 7, 2011: Sent 3032 through email and Opt In

Called Jan 19th, said waiting for 3032 form.

Jan 24, 2011 - Got email from NVC saying they have me as Opted In.

Jan 24, 2011 - Accepted 3032

Feb 3, 2011 - IV Bill Invoiced - $404.00

Timeline

I would call and ask how the hiring process is going as you haven't heard back. Do you all work in Canada or are these jobs for where you are moving? I have too been applying for months and now the calls start coming. Had one interview, are phoning today to set up second, then I have one today. The worse part is I can't tell them I am married to am American and moving to the USA. Our case could be complete within the next three months. then I will have to ask for a week off to go to Montreal (medical and interview), I don't think a company will allow that - so will probably have to quit for Montreal and hope like hell we get accepted. What to do.

Oh you mentioned credit report. From what I understand the two major credit bureaus are connected so they can check your credit rating from the USA. Hope this helps.

Sept 13, 2009 - Met Online

June 18, 2010 - Married in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Sept 3, 2010 : I-130 Sent

Sept 14, 2010: NOA1 Issued (Hard Copy)

Dec 10, 2010: NOA2 Approval!!!

85 Days since NOA1 - NOA2

------------------

NVC Received File - Dec 14, 2010

Dec 31, 2010 Received Case #/

Dec 31, 2010: I-864(AOS) fee ($88) payment Received

Jan 4, 2011: I-864 (AOS) PAID

Jan 5, 2011: AOS package Via Mail

Jan 7, 2011: Sent 3032 through email and Opt In

Called Jan 19th, said waiting for 3032 form.

Jan 24, 2011 - Got email from NVC saying they have me as Opted In.

Jan 24, 2011 - Accepted 3032

Feb 3, 2011 - IV Bill Invoiced - $404.00

This is all of us looking for work here in the States.. I am hoping that people will start calling me soon :)

age.png

age.png

event.png

Timeline

You will most likely find that yes some companies may be able to look into ur CDn credit rating--But they will NOT!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

This is all posting for job hunting in the USA. It is NOT as easy as Canada is and it gets worse depending on your state.

The process so far that I have seen is FAR from anything like in Canada that I experienced and they are much more rude in the US when you are looking for a job.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.