chinausa

ATTENTION: SSN and Name change after get married!!

38 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

What is the dmv photo id for?

State Photo ID such as from DMV is very important when adding your wife in your bank account using her new last name. My Chase bank will not allow me add my wife on my bank account using her new name even though we showed them the certified marriage certificate. We have to get a DMV Photo ID showing her new name and then Chase allowed me to add my wife on my bank account using her new last name.

DMV Photo ID is also better when your wife or husband is asked for Identification when doing business in banks, schools, utility company. I don't want anyone other than SSA or USCIS to see my wife's passport when DMV Photo ID is sufficient for identification purposes.

Let us say you add your husband or wife to your credit card account and when some clerk ask for their ID because they use the credit card, you don't want your love one's to show their passport to some clerk. It is better to use a DMV Photo ID.

Of course, if your husband or wife was able to obtain a SSN card, he or she can get DMV Driver's license. However, if they don't have a SSN card, they can only get the DMV Photo ID instead for identification purposes.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8066925138937638623#
Angels Still Don't Play This HAARP

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

so you get a number or card yet? wassup?!?!!

Hi Darnell,

Thank you for your info, and I have received my social security card with my own last name on it. The lady refused to put my husband's last name on the card, and she told me she's 100% sure of her action. Quite frustrated and disappointed very much. Some of people just not trainable, and they get angry, start giving you hard time when you're not listening to them.

however, we are still confused. I have my own last name on our marriage certificate, nobody informed us anything about the name change at the city hall. Can I just fill out AOS with my husband last name as my new last name, and attach a copy of our marriage certificate, even with my own last name on it??

Or do I have to go to the city hall to have the marriage certificate changed?

another question is should I put my ssn on the I-485 form, since it has my own last name on it.

Really don't know what to do here. Please help!

Thank you sooooo much

XH

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Now that you have the SSN CARD IN HAND -

you can go in to the SSA office again

and have it changed (or attempt to have it changed)

to your 'other' name.

BRING the wedding certificate (as is, without mods)

and try.

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO CHANGE IT now, at SSA office, regardless of your status.

IF yer I-94 not expire, or IF you have more than 14 days of I-94 expiration date still to go

THEN

you'll have some big chance to get it changed, on this 2nd trip into SSA. I think you are in 'golden time' now, as your POE date is 12/18/2010 - you have big chance to get it chanced with no hassle or extra waiting.

Try today or Wednesday, see what happens?

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi Darnell,

Thank you for your info, and I have received my social security card with my own last name on it. The lady refused to put my husband's last name on the card, and she told me she's 100% sure of her action. Quite frustrated and disappointed very much. Some of people just not trainable, and they get angry, start giving you hard time when you're not listening to them.

however, we are still confused. I have my own last name on our marriage certificate, nobody informed us anything about the name change at the city hall. Can I just fill out AOS with my husband last name as my new last name, and attach a copy of our marriage certificate, even with my own last name on it??

Or do I have to go to the city hall to have the marriage certificate changed?

another question is should I put my ssn on the I-485 form, since it has my own last name on it.

Really don't know what to do here. Please help!

Thank you sooooo much

XH

Yes you should file for AOS with your married name if that is the name you want to use going forward. And yes use your SSN # .

Edited by LDG

~Our AOS Timeline~

2010-Nov-01 Packet submitted (AOS, EAD, AP)

2010-11-03 USPS delivered

2010-11-08 E-notifications received w/ receipt numbers. Check cashed.

2010-11-12 Received NOAs

2010-11-18 Received biometrics appointment letter (12/08 08:00)

2010-12-08 Biometrics completed

2011-01-08 Rec'd NOA for I-485 interview appointment (02/23 10:30)

2011-01-14 Rec'd E-notices for both AP/EAD: AP approved & EAD in production.

2011-01-18 Rec'd E-notices: EAD approved (? was in production stage before)

2011-01-18 Received I-512L AP documents! (postmrkd 1/12)

2011-01-20 Received EAD card! (postmrkd 1/14)

2011-02-23 AOS Interview - APPROVED!

2011-03-03 Received wife's Permanent Resident Card~

2012-11-23 First day we can file to remove conditions

~Our K1 Timeline~

2010-Mar-05 I-129f sent

2010-03-16 NOA1

2010-05-12 NOA2

2010-05-20 @ NVC

2010-05-25 @ Guangzhou Consulate

2010-05-27 Packet 3 Rcvd

2010-05-29 Packet 3 Sent

2010-06-17 Packet 4 mailed out according to DOS

2010-06-24 Fiancee rec'd P4

2010-07-22 Medical exam

2010-07-26 Interview (Pink!)

2010-07-29 VISA via EMS (Happy day!)

2010-08-30 Trip to China, traditional ceremony, unofficial

2010-09-17 POE

2010-09-20 Married! :)

Timeline

Here's another chance to get a DMV Photo ID or DMV Non-Driver's ID. Show the the DMV staff with your marriage license and your passport. After showing them your marriage certificate, the DMV staff will ask you what name you want to show on the DMV Photo ID or DMV Non-Driver's ID. So, you can tell the DMV staff that you want your husband's last name or WifeMaidenName-HusbandName, etc.

My wife obtained her DMV Photo ID with her new lastname. Since you stated that you already have a SSN card, you can try to get the DMV Driver's Permit but you have to take the exam. So, I suggest to get the DMV Photo ID or DMV Non-Driver's ID because there's no exam to take and this ID expires around less than 5 years.

Once you have the DMV Photo ID or DMV Non-Driver's ID mailed, you can go back to SSA Office with your DMV Photo ID DMV Non-Driver's ID along with your marriage certificate. However, your DMV Photo ID or DMV Non-Driver's ID can be used for name change purposes since it is a State issued ID.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Haarp425 - your advice is 'location specific' - it doesn't work in the majority of USA states, they carefully review the passport, I-94, and immigration status.

If you got something, then yer lucky.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Haarp, I agree with Darnell. Some states won't permit state ID or even drivers licences unless you have an EAD or GC. Some will let you get them valid until your I-94 expires, some require proof of your status and a K1 isn't counted (like a visitors visa isn't). Some accept the AOS NOA1, some need the actual EAD or GC.

Your advice is very state and perhaps even county specific.

Timeline

Hi folks, I have an update regarding my wife status of obtaining a SSN with valid K-1 status, unexpired I-94. It is lenghtly though.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/296376-eligibility-to-be-assigned-a-social-security-number/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've moved this thread from the AOS forum to the Working and Travelling During US Immigration forum as it really doesn't relate to the AOS process and fits better here.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Now that you have the SSN CARD IN HAND -

you can go in to the SSA office again

and have it changed (or attempt to have it changed)

to your 'other' name.

BRING the wedding certificate (as is, without mods)

and try.

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO CHANGE IT now, at SSA office, regardless of your status.

IF yer I-94 not expire, or IF you have more than 14 days of I-94 expiration date still to go

THEN

you'll have some big chance to get it changed, on this 2nd trip into SSA. I think you are in 'golden time' now, as your POE date is 12/18/2010 - you have big chance to get it chanced with no hassle or extra waiting.

Try today or Wednesday, see what happens?

Hi Darnell,

I've tried, and they refused to change my last name on my social security card unless I have my green card with my married last name on it.

so thats what I have to do then.

XH

Timeline

Hi Darnell,

I've tried, and they refused to change my last name on my social security card unless I have my green card with my married last name on it.

so thats what I have to do then.

XH

Here's the part of the information I have received via email from SSA.

Note: If the applicant has changed his/her name after an immigration document, for example, Form I-94, was issued, for example, married and is now using the married name, but has not obtained a corrected immigration document showing the new name; this is not a name discrepancy for enumeration purposes, that is, SAVE clearance, if the applicant can provide an acceptable legal name change document to establish the new name.

Refer to this: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212055

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are now based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative value of documents.

Primary Identity Evidence for an alien:

-- Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (includes temporary I-551 Stamp in combination with an unexpired foreign passport when the I- 551 Permanent Resident Card has not yet been issued)

-- Form I-94, Arrival/departure Record in combination with an unexpired foreign passport

-- Form I-766, Employment Authorization card in combination with an unexpired foreign passport

Note: Document must be unexpired

Secondary Identity Evidence for an alien:

-- Unexpired valid U.S. driver’s license (excludes licenses known to be suspended or revoked)

-- U.S. State issued non-driver identity card (issued by the same State agency which issues driver’s licenses/State-level agency with issuing authority over the State’s identity card and not expired)

-- Marriage document showing in addition to the applicant’s name either the applicant’s date of birth (DOB) or age

-- Certified copy of medical record (clinic, doctor, or hospital) or letter providing extract data from the medical record showing in addition to the applicant’s name, the applicant’s DOB or age

-- Health insurance or Medicaid card showing, in addition to the person’s name, either a photograph of the person or his/her DOB

-- School identity card or record (for current school year) showing, in addition to the applicant’s name, either a photograph of the applicant or the applicant’s DOB

-- Life insurance policy for the person showing his/her age or DOB.

Having another secondary identity does not hurt. Based on the previous reply, that getting DMV Photo ID or Non-Driver's ID is location specific. If you have not tried getting DMV Photo ID with your married name, why don't you try getting DMV Photo ID with your married name on it? If DMV say no, you will loose nothing but your time.

My other advice would be to go to SSA Regional Office website that handles your State. Click on Contact Us, Online, Feedback. Include your name, the city and state of SSA local office you were trying to get your name changed. Direct your message to the SSA Regional Office that handles your State. In your message, ask them if "green card" is required to change name. Include what documents you have, when your I-94 expires, your unexpired passport expiration date, etc. They will let you know if you were given the right answer from the local SSA office or not.

Here's the part of the information I have received via email from SSA.

Note: If the applicant has changed his/her name after an immigration document, for example, Form I-94, was issued, for example, married and is now using the married name, but has not obtained a corrected immigration document showing the new name; this is not a name discrepancy for enumeration purposes, that is, SAVE clearance, if the applicant can provide an acceptable legal name change document to establish the new name.

Refer to this: https://secure.ssa.g.../lnx/0110212055

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are now based on three factors: (1) the applicant's age, (2) the applicant's citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative value of documents.

Primary Identity Evidence for an alien:

-- Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (includes temporary I-551 Stamp in combination with an unexpired foreign passport when the I- 551 Permanent Resident Card has not yet been issued)

-- Form I-94, Arrival/departure Record in combination with an unexpired foreign passport

-- Form I-766, Employment Authorization card in combination with an unexpired foreign passport

Note: Document must be unexpired

Secondary Identity Evidence for an alien:

-- Unexpired valid U.S. driver's license (excludes licenses known to be suspended or revoked)

-- U.S. State issued non-driver identity card (issued by the same State agency which issues driver's licenses/State-level agency with issuing authority over the State's identity card and not expired)

-- Marriage document showing in addition to the applicant's name either the applicant's date of birth (DOB) or age

-- Certified copy of medical record (clinic, doctor, or hospital) or letter providing extract data from the medical record showing in addition to the applicant's name, the applicant's DOB or age

-- Health insurance or Medicaid card showing, in addition to the person's name, either a photograph of the person or his/her DOB

-- School identity card or record (for current school year) showing, in addition to the applicant's name, either a photograph of the applicant or the applicant's DOB

-- Life insurance policy for the person showing his/her age or DOB.

Having another secondary identity does not hurt. Based on the previous reply, that getting DMV Photo ID or Non-Driver's ID is location specific. If you have not tried getting DMV Photo ID with your married name, why don't you try getting DMV Photo ID with your married name on it? If DMV say no, you will loose nothing but your time.

My other advice would be to go to SSA Regional Office website that handles your State. Click on Contact Us, Online, Feedback. Include your name, the city and state of SSA local office you were trying to get your name changed. Direct your message to the SSA Regional Office that handles your State. In your message, ask them if "green card" is required to change name. Include what documents you have, when your I-94 expires, your unexpired passport expiration date, etc. They will let you know if you were given the right answer from the local SSA office or not.

Im in Minnesota... Tried twice to get name changed and have been told i have to wait until i get my green card

2009 / 03 - Started talking on a social networking site

2009 / 07 / 12 - 1st meeting in Minnesota

2009 / 07 / 26 - Engaged unofficially

2009 / 10 / 15 - 2nd visit to Minnesota

2010 / 03 / 03 - Surprise visit from Michelle and her daughter for my birthday

2010 / 04 / 24 - Michelle's birthday visit to Minnesota... Engaged officially :-)

2010 / 05 / 10 - Sent I-129F

2010 / 05 / 26 - NOA1 Received

2010 / 06 / 26 - Last visit to Minnesota until visa is approved (Hopefully!)

2010 / 07 / 23 - NOA2 Received

2010 / 08 / 04 - London Embassy Received approved petition

2010 / 08 / 10 - P3 Received

2010 / 08 / 16 - P3 Returned

2010 / 08 / 18 - Embassy received P3 (signed for by 'David')

2010 / 08 / 27 - Medical

2010 / 09 / 17 - After several calls to DOS and London Embassy we receive an email from Embassy saying they never received packet 3!!!

2010 / 09 / 18 - Emailed all packet 3 to Embassy (2nd time lucky!)

2010 / 10 / 05 - Interview... APPROVED!!!!!!

2010 / 10 / 13 - Visa Received

2010 / 11 / 22 - POE Minneapolis MN

2010 / 11 / 26 - Married :)))))

2011 / 01 / 04 - Sent AOS, AP and EAD

2011 / 01 / 14 - NOA received

2011 / 02 / 04 - Biometrics

2011 / 02 / 23 - AOS transferered to CSC

2011 / 03 / 02 - Touched

2011 / 03 / 09 - EAD Approved

2011 / 03 / 10 - AP Approved

2011 / 03 / 18 - EAD and AP received :)

2011 / 03 / 31 - AOS Approved!! (without interview)

2011 / 04 / 11 - Green card received

Timeline

Im in Minnesota... Tried twice to get name changed and have been told i have to wait until i get my green card

Did you send SSA your complaint and address it to the "Chicago Region Social Security Administration"? If so, what was their reply? It helps to notify the SSA Regional Office where you live and that way they can forward any documentation to the local SSA office you are dealing with regarding name change.

I was in the same situation with my wife name change and getting SSN card, having documents in my hand was not sufficient. Not until I told them that SSA Regional Office have already faxed them documents and information regarding obtaining SSN card and name change for my wife, the SSA local office seemed to have made up their mind on their decision.

Again, let me know what reply the SSA Regional Office sent to you via email.

Did you send SSA your complaint and address it to the "Chicago Region Social Security Administration"? If so, what was their reply? It helps to notify the SSA Regional Office where you live and that way they can forward any documentation to the local SSA office you are dealing with regarding name change.

I was in the same situation with my wife name change and getting SSN card, having documents in my hand was not sufficient. Not until I told them that SSA Regional Office have already faxed them documents and information regarding obtaining SSN card and name change for my wife, the SSA local office seemed to have made up their mind on their decision.

Again, let me know what reply the SSA Regional Office sent to you via email.

I originally tried to get it in my married name when i first applied and was told it had to be in my maiden name so thats how they did it.... I never received my card so i had to call them... I then had to go to the office to get my number where the man i saw actually tried to change the name as i had my noa and my marriage certificate... The system wouldn't let him change it.

The office where we have to go is over an hour drive away so i'm just going to wait until i have my green card.

2009 / 03 - Started talking on a social networking site

2009 / 07 / 12 - 1st meeting in Minnesota

2009 / 07 / 26 - Engaged unofficially

2009 / 10 / 15 - 2nd visit to Minnesota

2010 / 03 / 03 - Surprise visit from Michelle and her daughter for my birthday

2010 / 04 / 24 - Michelle's birthday visit to Minnesota... Engaged officially :-)

2010 / 05 / 10 - Sent I-129F

2010 / 05 / 26 - NOA1 Received

2010 / 06 / 26 - Last visit to Minnesota until visa is approved (Hopefully!)

2010 / 07 / 23 - NOA2 Received

2010 / 08 / 04 - London Embassy Received approved petition

2010 / 08 / 10 - P3 Received

2010 / 08 / 16 - P3 Returned

2010 / 08 / 18 - Embassy received P3 (signed for by 'David')

2010 / 08 / 27 - Medical

2010 / 09 / 17 - After several calls to DOS and London Embassy we receive an email from Embassy saying they never received packet 3!!!

2010 / 09 / 18 - Emailed all packet 3 to Embassy (2nd time lucky!)

2010 / 10 / 05 - Interview... APPROVED!!!!!!

2010 / 10 / 13 - Visa Received

2010 / 11 / 22 - POE Minneapolis MN

2010 / 11 / 26 - Married :)))))

2011 / 01 / 04 - Sent AOS, AP and EAD

2011 / 01 / 14 - NOA received

2011 / 02 / 04 - Biometrics

2011 / 02 / 23 - AOS transferered to CSC

2011 / 03 / 02 - Touched

2011 / 03 / 09 - EAD Approved

2011 / 03 / 10 - AP Approved

2011 / 03 / 18 - EAD and AP received :)

2011 / 03 / 31 - AOS Approved!! (without interview)

2011 / 04 / 11 - Green card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.