1HappyGuy

Another bombing in Moscow

67 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Soon as Russia pulls out of the south this thing will end. Well, that's the theory, anyway.

Will never happen. If anything, geopolitically speaking, Russia needs to expand its military reach in order to maximize both is mobility and defensibility of its core.

Timeline

Actually, Russia is starting to change stance on Iran and Syria. Russia recently didn't veto Iran sanctions and, more importantly, renigged on a deal to sell air defense missile systems to Iran. I think they are starting to realize that Iran is not their friend.

As far as the security being third rate, I don't see that as really fair. They just happen to have land borders with some really messed up countries. This is sort of like saying that Hawaii has better disease control than the contiguous US because they don't have rabies. Proximity and geography just help out Hawaii. And they don't do much for the Russian Federation.

As far as not checking your bags, neither do most countries. They especially don't check the bags of white Americans who look like tourists. It's profiling, but you haven't blown anyone up yet, so it's working. If you want to see some bag checking, go to a land border with Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, or Mongolia. They still might not check your bag, but they will be checking bags.

They definitely check bags from some places. It was all hands on deck the last time I flew into SVO when a flight was arriving from the Middle East. They checked every nook and cranny of those peoples' bags. Fat lotta good it did them though. Generally speaking, bag searches don't do a whole lot for security. We need real agents with skills in reading people, a lot like the Israelis do in their airports.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Actually, Russia is starting to change stance on Iran and Syria. Russia recently didn't veto Iran sanctions and, more importantly, renigged on a deal to sell air defense missile systems to Iran. I think they are starting to realize that Iran is not their friend.

As far as the security being third rate, I don't see that as really fair. They just happen to have land borders with some really messed up countries. This is sort of like saying that Hawaii has better disease control than the contiguous US because they don't have rabies. Proximity and geography just help out Hawaii. And they don't do much for the Russian Federation.

As far as not checking your bags, neither do most countries. They especially don't check the bags of white Americans who look like tourists. It's profiling, but you haven't blown anyone up yet, so it's working. If you want to see some bag checking, go to a land border with Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, or Mongolia. They still might not check your bag, but they will be checking bags.

And for $40 slipped to the right guy (and the "right guy" will approach you) you can avoid the whole customs thing on arrival or departure. I doubt this happened in this case, but waht would be to stop it?

The pervasive and absolute corruption at every level of government in the FSU WILL bite them on the @ss. Sure, it is nice to get some mundane document in a few minutes instead of a few weeks for a $10 bribe, but when you have "inspectors" soliciting the crowds entering the country for $40 bribes to bypass the customs procedures, you WILL have trouble.

AND there are non-stop filghts from Moscow to NYC so we are only as safe as the amount of bribe they pay.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

AND there are non-stop filghts from Moscow to NYC so we are only as safe as the amount of bribe they pay.

I know passengers are required to go through security again when entering the terminal from an International Flight (at least that was the case the last few times I flew into JFK from Moscow). One can only hope that the checked luggage goes through similar screening prior to being sent to Baggage Claim where hundreds of civilians would be waiting around like sitting ducks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

The last couple of times I flew SVO to ATL they hand checked every piece of luggage after x-raying it twice. They even checked and questioned every toiletry item in my bag. They looked very carefully at my bottles of vodka inspecting the seals. Everything was touched and investigated prior to being accepted at the ticket counter..

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Will never happen. If anything, geopolitically speaking, Russia needs to expand its military reach in order to maximize both is mobility and defensibility of its core.

So is that why Russia is illegally occupying Chechnya along with the rest of the Caucuses ?

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

So is that why Russia is illegally occupying Chechnya along with the rest of the Caucuses ?

One could also argue that the mere existence of the United States is illegal, but that argument would be about as productive as arguing that Russia's control of the Caucus is illegal -- even though they've controlled that region at least as long as the US has existed -- or that any border established after <insert historic year here> is illegal.

As for why Russia is occupying that territory, I'd wager heavily in that direction. The region is troubled, rife with political conflict bred by cultural differences and the effects of ongoing conflict. Do you think Russia's holding onto that region, and investing significant resources in so doing, merely to save face?

Edited by shikarnov

One could also argue that the mere existence of the United States is illegal, but that argument would be about as productive as arguing that Russia's control of the Caucus is illegal -- even though they've controlled that region at least as long as the US has existed -- or that any border established after <insert historic year here> is illegal.

As for why Russia is occupying that territory, I'd wager heavily in that direction. The region is troubled, rife with political conflict bred by cultural differences and the effects of ongoing conflict. Do you think Russia's holding onto that region, and investing significant resources in so doing, merely to save face?

It's because of a gas line in Chechnya. I thought that was common knowledge.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

And why do you think the line -- which I would argue could be moved or redirected with greater ease and at a lower cost than occupying unfriendly territory -- was built through that area in the first place?

Edited by shikarnov

And why do you think the line -- which I would argue could be moved or redirected with greater ease and at a lower cost than occupying unfriendly territory -- was built through that area in the first place?

It's the same reason the US is in Afghanistan. Gas, oil, and a quick line to the Caspian and China. Everyone knew what that those wars were all about when Chechnya first declared independence and Russia invaded right afterwards. Russia has invaded Chechnya three times now since the fall of the Soviet Union.

http://www.euchronicle.eu/proxy-war-chechnya

"Proxy War in Chechnya"

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1141/is_n12_v31/ai_16625603/

"What does Russia see in Chechnya? Oil"

sigbet.jpg

This might be worth a few minutes... http://www.evolutsia.net/a-maelstrom-of-geography/

According to that article which I agree with, the Caucasus are being occupied due to their strategic location. It sucks for them though. It also failed to mention how Russia gave citizenship to the peoples of occupied Georgia before invading...sans the reason Ukraine won't allow dual citizenship, especially when it comes to the Crim. Same with the Baltic country's including Estonia. No dual citizenship....and it's for good reason imo.

sigbet.jpg

Timeline

It's the same reason the US is in Afghanistan. Gas, oil, and a quick line to the Caspian and China. Everyone knew what that those wars were all about when Chechnya first declared independence and Russia invaded right afterwards. Russia has invaded Chechnya three times now since the fall of the Soviet Union.

http://www.euchronicle.eu/proxy-war-chechnya

"Proxy War in Chechnya"

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1141/is_n12_v31/ai_16625603/

"What does Russia see in Chechnya? Oil"

Well, if you believe the US is in Afghanistan because of oil, it's pretty clear where this conversation is going to go. But setting that aside, oil and gas -- which I'd point out weren't even considerations until 100 years ago, even though the Caucus has been under foreign control for almost half a millennium -- are part of the geopolitical stew which makes that region strategically valuable. What Russia has and can use is something a potential adversary doesn't have and can't use. And that doesn't take into consideration the regional topography, access to important trade routes, or internal routes within Russia that to which the Caucus region would lead for foreign powers. Militarily speaking, it makes sense for Russia to do everything possible to regain and/or retain control of territory at least out to the major mountain ranges.

Timeline

According to that article which I agree with, the Caucasus are being occupied due to their strategic location. It sucks for them though. It also failed to mention how Russia gave citizenship to the peoples of occupied Georgia before invading...sans the reason Ukraine won't allow dual citizenship, especially when it comes to the Crim. Same with the Baltic country's including Estonia. No dual citizenship....and it's for good reason imo.

Well, that's all I've been saying - that these regions are valuable strategically, and that that's been Russia's primary motivation. I agree with you that it sucks to be them. :)

As for Russia's little citizenship ploy, it was a worthwhile tactic mainly because it resonated with people at home. Russia acting on the behalf of Russians everywhere is far more resonate than Russia stomping on the geographic little guy. Yes, the region is strategically important, but intricacy like that would be a hard sell to people who think politics is and should be "План Путина, period."

I remember asking my wife about Chechnya back in 2000. "Why is Russia even trying to keep Chechnya? It's just mountains and people who don't like them."

"Yes... but there is gold in those mountains!"

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.