Messybrownhair

Affidavit of Support for AOS question

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi Just a quick update.

We have his w2 from the National Guard, and the 1098-T and we are still waiting for the w2 from the security company.

I have another question that might seem silly, when we go somewhere to file the taxes, do we get like 2 copies of the 1040? do we send the "original" or do we photocopy? how about the w2? coz don't we need it for the AOS as well? or is it easy to get copies of it? just wondering, and thanks!

lastly, will it matter if he hasn't earned much for 2010? i mean he's only been working since june, and it's not much. if we have a co-sponsor, do you think we will be okay? his dad makes over 60k a year.

thanks again!

There are two ways to file a tax return with the IRS; a physical paper 1040 form plus any supporting forms and documents are mailed to the IRS, or the information is transmitted electronically to the IRS (called eFile).

If he's filing a paper return then the original must be sent to the IRS. Your tax preparer would make an extra copy for you. Some will photocopy the one they are sending to the IRS. Some will simply print off a second copy. If his tax preparer files electronically then there is no original copy - everything is sent to the IRS electronically - so the tax preparer would just print off a copy of a 1040 just as it WOULD have been sent if a paper return was filed.

He has to select a tax filing status for the 1040 form. The filing status he chooses will determine which tax table is used to calculate how much taxes he should have paid over the course of the year, and will be one of the factors in determining whether he owes additional taxes or should receive a refund, and how much money that will be. Most married people select the "married filing jointly" tax status. This allows them to combine their joint income onto a single tax return, and in most cases results in lower taxes and a bigger refund check. In order to file a tax return electronically, the taxpayer needs to have either a PIN number assigned by the IRS, or they need to know the Adjusted Gross Income from their previous year's tax return. If it's a joint tax return then this information is needed for both spouses. If neither of you have ever filed a tax return in the US before then you probably won't be able to file the return electronically. I ran into this problem last year because my wife and I filed a joint tax return, and she'd never filed a return before. For the first time in years I was required to mail a paper return to the IRS.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.